• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

Why go to Bench so early?

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  343
  • Content Count:  13,697
  • Days Won:  45

I heard he played so early because he brought CWT flowers

• Topic Count:  67
  • Content Count:  3,749
  • Days Won:  3

Bench > Flowers

Flowers might do better in practice, but Bench is a gamer when it counts. Also, not liking the size of Flowers. Dude isn't even close to being able to see over OL. Sure he can escape pocket, but teams will force him to stay inside and rack up sacks and INT's. Flowers is certainly a better athlete though. Very versatile player.

Had to check to make sure this was posted AFTER the game .... thought Bench played great for the most part, but "when it counts" is early in ball games against undermanned teams that have been worn down.

Your taking it out of context. It's meant to be read as Bench might struggle in practice, but elevates his performance on gamedays. Hence why Flowers might've edged him out since he might be more consistent in practice. It isn't meant to be a slight at Flowers. Both played good yesterday and I'm fine with either starting. However, I still feel like Bench is a gamer and just commands the huddle better plus i prefer his size to Flowers for pocket passing.

• Topic Count:  86
  • Content Count:  17,061
  • Days Won:  19

You guys make mountains out of molehills

• Group:  Moderator
  • Topic Count:  1,615
  • Content Count:  74,738
  • Days Won:  425

Bench > Flowers

Flowers might do better in practice, but Bench is a gamer when it counts. Also, not liking the size of Flowers. Dude isn't even close to being able to see over OL. Sure he can escape pocket, but teams will force him to stay inside and rack up sacks and INT's. Flowers is certainly a better athlete though. Very versatile player.

Had to check to make sure this was posted AFTER the game .... thought Bench played great for the most part, but "when it counts" is early in ball games against undermanned teams that have been worn down.

Your taking it out of context. It's meant to be read as Bench might struggle in practice, but elevates his performance on gamedays. Hence why Flowers might've edged him out since he might be more consistent in practice. It isn't meant to be a slight at Flowers. Both played good yesterday and I'm fine with either starting. However, I still feel like Bench is a gamer and just commands the huddle better plus i prefer his size to Flowers for pocket passing.

Totally agree that Bench does look better throwing from the pocket and wouldn't be crushed if he HAD to play at some point this year but, **** it, QF is the type qb I associate with USF success. I realize that's terribly simplistic but that's the type of qb that gives me the warm and fuzzies when watching Bulls football .... I think I actually shed a tear at that 22 yd td pass.

• Topic Count:  22
  • Content Count:  8,722
  • Days Won:  23

Bench > Flowers

Totally agree that Bench does look better throwing from the pocket and wouldn't be crushed if he HAD to play at some point this year but, **** it, QF is the type qb I associate with USF success. I realize that's terribly simplistic but that's the type of qb that gives me the warm and fuzzies when watching Bulls football .... I think I actually shed a tear at that 22 yd td pass.

same here. that one felt like days of old. love having a QB that can roll out and be a threat to pass or run. we don't need a pocket QB. Daniels, Grothe and even Blackwell weren't that big.

• Topic Count:  410
  • Content Count:  19,525
  • Days Won:  24

Bench > Flowers

That was a great job eluding the rush.  But I can't recall a Bulls QB that floated passes the way QF does.  I can barely remember a DI Qb that floats passes the way he does.  Tebow sort of did, but I think even his passes had a bit more zip it just took a long time for him to deliver the football.

• Topic Count:  22
  • Content Count:  8,722
  • Days Won:  23

Bench > Flowers

That was a great job eluding the rush.  But I can't recall a Bulls QB that floated passes the way QF does.  I can barely remember a DI Qb that floats passes the way he does.  Tebow sort of did, but I think even his passes had a bit more zip it just took a long time for him to deliver the football.

you don' t watch much college football. not many great passers out there especially with guys who would be considered run first types.

Flowers athletic ability will open up a lot for this offense if used properly. it's nice to have a serious threat to run again. we haven't seen that since Daniels.

Bench > Flowers

you don' t watch much college football. not many great passers out there especially with guys who would be considered run first types.

Flowers athletic ability will open up a lot for this offense if used properly. it's nice to have a serious threat to run again. we haven't seen that since Daniels.

I really wouldn't bother .... he's just fishin.

• Topic Count:  410
  • Content Count:  19,525
  • Days Won:  24

I speak the truth as I see it.  This is a discussion board, at least I think it is.  

Some people prefer to bury their heads in the sand and believe what they are told.  I believe my eyes and ears.  

I speak the truth as I see it.  This is a discussion board, at least I think it is.  

Some people prefer to bury their heads in the sand and believe what they are told.  I believe my eyes and ears.  

Don't be so melodramatic. Pretty sure most everyone in this discussion saw the game and aren't going off what they were told. Take your eyes back to a replay of the game and watch again. Both "rainbow" td's to Johnson were thrown exactly the way they needed to be. The only other long ball he threw besides the pick, I think, was the one to Adams where the PI was called and there was nothing wrong with it. Maybe you're confusing floating balls with putting air under balls to allow the receiver to make a play.

Now, if there are other throws of his from the game you'd like to critique, fine, but the those two td passes shouldn't come under any kind of criticism.

Also, is it my imagination that there have been, in the past several years, discussions in here about qb's (don't remember who) NOT putting enough air under the ball to allow the receivers to make a play?