• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

Why go to Bench so early?

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  85
  • Content Count:  5,431
  • Days Won:  16

When I first saw the 2nd TD to Johnson, the pass looked to float & be a little wobbly.  Then seeing it zoomed out, you can see that he was so wide open, QF likely wanted enough air to let Johnson adjust, knowing no one would be close...but being sure not to overthrow him.  You are correct...in recent years, a QB may've aimed a laser & just missed.  Last year v SMU, QF had several passes that were a yard or 2 off, pulling receivers out of bounds.  So, watching it again...almost perfect pass to Johnson (with perfect results).  BTW, let's not lose sight of Johnson's juke at the 5, to slide through 2 would-be-tacklers...impressive.

As to the first Johnson TD, no one can complain about that, except MAYBE Johnson should have moved up a few yards, as he was awfully close to that back line.

QF threw across his body, across the field.  That's a grown man throw, and though right to him, a pressure catch, not knowing if someone is zeroing in on you as it feels like an eternity for the ball to arrive.

It just feels great to be able make some slight critiques about our QB who hit on 20 of 26 (77%), after suffering thru <50% passing the past 2 years.  I don't care if it's FAMU...that's an amazing completion %!

• Topic Count:  9,898
  • Content Count:  66,091
  • Days Won:  172

we will need all of our qbs to play well

qf will never survive the season

• Topic Count:  22
  • Content Count:  8,722
  • Days Won:  23

I speak the truth as I see it.  This is a discussion board, at least I think it is.  

Some people prefer to bury their heads in the sand and believe what they are told.  I believe my eyes and ears.  

Don't be so melodramatic. Pretty sure most everyone in this discussion saw the game and aren't going off what they were told. Take your eyes back to a replay of the game and watch again. Both "rainbow" td's to Johnson were thrown exactly the way they needed to be. The only other long ball he threw besides the pick, I think, was the one to Adams where the PI was called and there was nothing wrong with it. Maybe you're confusing floating balls with putting air under balls to allow the receiver to make a play.

Now, if there are other throws of his from the game you'd like to critique, fine, but the those two td passes shouldn't come under any kind of criticism.

Also, is it my imagination that there have been, in the past several years, discussions in here about qb's (don't remember who) NOT putting enough air under the ball to allow the receivers to make a play?

exactly.

• Topic Count:  53
  • Content Count:  1,291
  • Days Won:  0

Offense was sloppy and scored 51 points...could have been 58.

The offense will only get better with more practice. Fsu will be a good test.

We could have 44 or 47 because I know QF was down (@3:47 I think) before he scrambled and tossed a TD. QF has talent but I think Bench will be our starter after few games.

• Topic Count:  18
  • Content Count:  8,878
  • Days Won:  28

I don't like QF throwing long (40+), but I had no issues with those rainbow passes Saturday. They were appropriate IMO to get over defenders and give the receiver a solid look. I saw him zip a few in practice, so he can do it. But this was a big game for us and I think he wanted to make sure he was on target.

That said, no excuse for that slow one-hop throw out of the snap, that needs to be on a rope every time. He couldn't have a perfect game, though. Save that for Tally. :GoBulls:

• Topic Count:  128
  • Content Count:  1,768
  • Days Won:  1

Some of you guys are funny, you'll find something to moan and whine about no matter what.  When we had BJ, you complained about him not having any touch on passes and gunning it when it wasn't needed.  Now we have a QB who "floats" it too much and needs to gun it to wide open receivers.  

• Upvote 1

• Group:  TBP Subscriber III
  • Topic Count:  583
  • Content Count:  22,724
  • Days Won:  109

We really are nitpicking here.  Both QBs played well after the first couple of series.  My memory isn't what it used to be but the only things I saw with QF was that he missed some open guys on a couple of occasions - one may have been on the play he threw the pick.  And on one play that Bench overthrew a guy on the sideline (going toward the south endzone) he had a guy really ticked off at him open deep down the middle.  But hard to criticize since the guy on the sideline was open as well just not as much.  Our QBs were 11 of 15 and 8 of 10 I believe.  Let's not complain and hope they are within 20 points of those percentages the rest of the year.  And, I think I mentioned after the practice that I saw that QF had the elusive factor AND speed while Bench had decent straightaway speed and threw a better deep ball.  Those observations seemed be true in the game as well.  Let's give FSU all they can handle (win or lose) and then beat MD.  Would be a great start to the season.  

• Topic Count:  85
  • Content Count:  5,431
  • Days Won:  16

Offense was sloppy and scored 51 points...could have been 58.

The offense will only get better with more practice. Fsu will be a good test.

We could have 44 or 47 because I know QF was down (@3:47 I think) before he scrambled and tossed a TD. QF has talent but I think Bench will be our starter after few games.

I don't think you're down if the ball touches the ground (it did, on QF's TD scramble), if that's what you mean.

• Topic Count:  18
  • Content Count:  8,878
  • Days Won:  28

I don't think you're down if the ball touches the ground (it did, on QF's TD scramble), if that's what you mean.

Dang, made me look that up and the rules seem to agree with you:

ARTICLE 3. A live ball becomes dead and an official shall sound his whistle

or declare it dead: . . .

. . . b. When any part of the ball carrier’s body, except his hand or foot, touches

the ground or when the ball carrier is tackled or otherwise falls and loses

possession of the ball as he contacts the ground with any part of his

body, except his hand or foot. (Exception: The ball remains alive when

an offensive player has simulated a kick or is in position to kick the ball

held for a place kick by a teammate. The ball may be kicked, passed or

advanced by rule)

I barked about that during the game, thought he was down too. Glad to be wrong!

• Group:  Moderator
  • Topic Count:  1,615
  • Content Count:  74,738
  • Days Won:  425

Dang, made me look that up and the rules seem to agree with you:

ARTICLE 3. A live ball becomes dead and an official shall sound his whistle

or declare it dead: . . .

. . . b. When any part of the ball carrier’s body, except his hand or foot, touches

the ground or when the ball carrier is tackled or otherwise falls and loses

possession of the ball as he contacts the ground with any part of his

body, except his hand or foot. (Exception: The ball remains alive when

an offensive player has simulated a kick or is in position to kick the ball

held for a place kick by a teammate. The ball may be kicked, passed or

advanced by rule)

I barked about that during the game, thought he was down too. Glad to be wrong!

Now that I think about it, it makes sense. That situation, with no other part of his body touching the ground, is really like a controlled fumble.