• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

Official USF v. Ga Southern Game Thread

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  197
  • Content Count:  10,251
  • Days Won:  14

The fact that anyone thought we would go even .500 this year is comical. I am not a fan of the COA hire, but that being said he should be given a pass this season, and next season we should be an NIT team or better if he is as god a recruiter as everyone says.

Its amazing how the people on this board think Harlan and COA are gods gift to USF, when they have done NOTHING yet.

True, they haven't proven themselves in the W/L columns, but it's pretty clear they both bring the swagger

Compared to Stan and Doug (and Skip), who were all nice guys, but no swagger

Please. Every new hire gets the nice polished apple treatment until they fall through

• Topic Count:  257
  • Content Count:  2,407
  • Days Won:  5

Everything about the team came out last night.  We are young and will have many ups and downs.  Our rebounding is awful.  The stats don't show it but we never get the big rebounds or any offensive rebounds that is what good rebounding teams do.  Our guard play was bad last night and AC has been struggling for the last 3 games.  Dinnero, has really been a bright spot.  he will get lots of playing time if he continues to play the type of "D" he has been playing.  Every team needs a shut down defender and he is working his way to that spot.  Shooting has dropped ever since Troy got hurt.  He needs to get his legs and confidence back. 

Coach also made a huge rookie mistake when he put that 2nd team in.  It wasn't fair to run that group, but at least he realized it quick and substituted back.  There will be bumps but still like the team overall for the future

• Topic Count:  553
  • Content Count:  14,405
  • Days Won:  13

Goes to show, IMO, they have serious issues containing good players. GSU has two such players. What happens when they play a team with 3 or more? I don't know enough about BB to know if that was due to scheme or youth. I imagine both.

I also see a lot of people saying the team is young. Isn't that more of an issue with football? Aren't some of the best teams like Kentucky full of young players?

• Downvote 1

• Topic Count:  86
  • Content Count:  17,061
  • Days Won:  19

Teams like Kentucky are full of young extremely talented youth.

We have young guys that need development.

• Group:  Moderator
  • Topic Count:  1,612
  • Content Count:  74,609
  • Days Won:  424

I think there are still some parts to the offense that are still under development. Our rebounding seems pretty weak.

For a team that is supposed to be a fast paced, rim attacking team, we sure don't get to the foul line a whole lot.

One thing that has been bothering me a little the last few games has been our lack of hustle at times. We seem to lose out on a lot of loose balls because we are out hustled. Goes for rebounding too. I am wondering if all the running coach O had the guys do since he got here is starting to lead to some dead legs. Hopefully, they start to get that hustle back.

Reason we lost vs GA Southern...2-20 on 3 pointers. You aren't beating any team at any level shooting 10%.

Team is young. Still learning to play at this level and together and smarter too.

Some of those points mirrored what COA said in his post game. Wasn't too keen on the 20 3pt attempts .... or at least the way they developed ... wanted more of an inside to outside shooting game.

And I think in all my years of watching USF football, I've never seen our coach do a 5 for 5 substitution like that. COA was hilarious ... whirled around to the bench and pointed at the first 5 players he saw to go in.

• Topic Count:  152
  • Content Count:  19,395
  • Days Won:  233

I think there are still some parts to the offense that are still under development. Our rebounding seems pretty weak.

For a team that is supposed to be a fast paced, rim attacking team, we sure don't get to the foul line a whole lot.

One thing that has been bothering me a little the last few games has been our lack of hustle at times. We seem to lose out on a lot of loose balls because we are out hustled. Goes for rebounding too. I am wondering if all the running coach O had the guys do since he got here is starting to lead to some dead legs. Hopefully, they start to get that hustle back.

Reason we lost vs GA Southern...2-20 on 3 pointers. You aren't beating any team at any level shooting 10%.

Team is young. Still learning to play at this level and together and smarter too.

Some of those points mirrored what COA said in his post game. Wasn't too keen on the 20 3pt attempts .... or at least the way they developed ... wanted more of an inside to outside shooting game.

And I think in all my years of watching USF football, I've never seen our coach do a 5 for 5 substitution like that. COA was hilarious ... whirled around to the bench and pointed at the first 5 players he saw to go in.

From what I've seen of COA so far, I'd be totally ok with him coaching the football team in the fall.

• Topic Count:  132
  • Content Count:  10,380
  • Days Won:  18

That was par for the course for teams under Heath, except for the 2012 season. I think Ron Anderson, Jr. was a one-man hustle machine and he rubbed off on the other players his senior year. I see the players hustling for COA, but they need to learn to position themselves better on the court, and that'll come with experience.

• Topic Count:  343
  • Content Count:  13,697
  • Days Won:  45

Goes to show, IMO, they have serious issues containing good players. GSU has two such players. What happens when they play a team with 3 or more? I don't know enough about BB to know if that was due to scheme or youth. I imagine both.

I also see a lot of people saying the team is young. Isn't that more of an issue with football? Aren't some of the best teams like Kentucky full of young players?

You definitely confirmed that when you went on to compare our situation to UK.  UK continually gets recruiting classes full of blue chip prospects that are NBA bound after one season.  We aren't even in the same universe as them when it comes to recruiting and basketball in general.  Just to give you an idea and compare it to football they're like what would happened if you merged FSU and Bama into one program.  

• Topic Count:  86
  • Content Count:  17,061
  • Days Won:  19

Dozer as usual with an out of the parker. Kentucky chooses what players come to play foe them. We beg for players to come here and hope they get better as the years go by.

• Topic Count:  19
  • Content Count:  707
  • Days Won:  1

All I can really say right now is that I think we will get better, adjustments will be made, and everyone is going to learn from this experience. I was a fan of the COA hire and will back my initial inclination. It is going to take time to construct the team and the program, and right now he is trying to make it work. We have had a bad stint of games no doubt, but we had a good one earlier. Basketball is a game of runs and it seems we are on ice right now. COA still has to really find out what he has in the team in order to make it work. Unfortunately it was a bad game overall. We need guy to drop buckets and that will come with more time spent in practice and as we recruit guys that are better natural shooters. Let's be honest, COA's success/failure won't be able to really be measured until mid next season (and that's if you're rushing it).