• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

Official USF v. Ga Southern Game Thread

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  653
  • Content Count:  31,049
  • Days Won:  172

The fact that anyone thought we would go even .500 this year is comical. I am not a fan of the COA hire, but that being said he should be given a pass this season, and next season we should be an NIT team or better if he is as god a recruiter as everyone says.

Its amazing how the people on this board think Harlan and COA are gods gift to USF, when they have done NOTHING yet.

True, they haven't proven themselves in the W/L columns, but it's pretty clear they both bring the swagger

Compared to Stan and Doug (and Skip), who were all nice guys, but no swagger

Please. Every new hire gets the nice polished apple treatment until they fall through

sumbuddy polishin sumpin, but taint no apple...

Watching Bama at Wichita State (rootin for Bama, duh) and saw an interesting call

4 minutes to go in the first, Bama down 3, on a fast break and a Shocker goes down. Official stops play and keeps Bama from getting a powerplay goal

Same thing happened to us last night (with CAJ?) and the refs let them play on. Can't remember if it cost them a basket, but I do remember being shocked play wasn't stopped

What's the actual rule for stopping play in the event of an injury? Looks like it's a judgement call?

• Group:  Moderator
  • Topic Count:  1,612
  • Content Count:  74,609
  • Days Won:  424

Watching Bama at Wichita State (rootin for Bama, duh) and saw an interesting call

4 minutes to go in the first, Bama down 3, on a fast break and a Shocker goes down. Official stops play and keeps Bama from getting a powerplay goal

Same thing happened to us last night (with CAJ?) and the refs let them play on. Can't remember if it cost them a basket, but I do remember being shocked play wasn't stopped

What's the actual rule for stopping play in the event of an injury? Looks like it's a judgement call?

Here's the officical rules. Looks like the only judgment would be if they needed to stop the opposing team's play to protect a player. CAJ's didn't fall under that
category. Didn't see the Bama game.

The game clock and shot clock, if running, shall be stopped when an official:

Art. 1. Signals:
a. A foul.
b. A held ball.
c. A violation.
Art. 2. Stops play:
a. At the expiration of time for each period.
b. Because of an injury, blood or a lost, displaced or irritated contact lens.
c. To confer with the scorers, timer or shot-clock operator.
d. Because of unusual delay in a dead ball being made live.
e. For any emergency.
Art. 3. Grants a coach’s or player’s visual or oral request for a timeout.
Art. 4. Recognizes a request by the head coach or a player for a timeout after a
goal until the subsequent throw-in begins.
Art. 5. Responds to the official timer’s signal to grant a head coach’s request
to address the possibility of a correctable error as in Rule 2-12 or to determine
whether a timing, scoring or alternating-possession mistake needs to be prevented
or rectified or to determine whether a flagrant 2 personal foul or flagrant 2 contact
technical occurred. The appeal to the official shall be presented at the scorers’
table, where a coach of each team may be present.

Art. 6. Suspends play immediately when necessary to protect an injured player.

Art. 7. Suspends play after the ball is dead or controlled by the injured player’s
team or when the opponents complete a play after a player is injured.

a. A play shall be completed when a team withholds the ball from play by
        ceasing to attempt to score or advance the ball to a scoring position.

Art. 8. Suspends play at the earliest possible time when a player incurs a wound
that causes bleeding or has blood on his body caused by blood from another
player’s wound. The official shall allow 20 seconds to remedy the situation before
instructing the player to leave the game.

Here's the officical rules. Looks like the only judgment would be if they needed to stop the opposing team's play to protect a player. CAJ's didn't fall under that
category. Didn't see the Bama game.

The game clock and shot clock, if running, shall be stopped when an official:

Art. 1. Signals:
a. A foul.
b. A held ball.
c. A violation.
Art. 2. Stops play:
a. At the expiration of time for each period.
b. Because of an injury, blood or a lost, displaced or irritated contact lens.
c. To confer with the scorers, timer or shot-clock operator.
d. Because of unusual delay in a dead ball being made live.
e. For any emergency.
Art. 3. Grants a coach’s or player’s visual or oral request for a timeout.
Art. 4. Recognizes a request by the head coach or a player for a timeout after a
goal until the subsequent throw-in begins.
Art. 5. Responds to the official timer’s signal to grant a head coach’s request
to address the possibility of a correctable error as in Rule 2-12 or to determine
whether a timing, scoring or alternating-possession mistake needs to be prevented
or rectified or to determine whether a flagrant 2 personal foul or flagrant 2 contact
technical occurred. The appeal to the official shall be presented at the scorers’
table, where a coach of each team may be present.

Art. 6. Suspends play immediately when necessary to protect an injured player.

Art. 7. Suspends play after the ball is dead or controlled by the injured player’s
team or when the opponents complete a play after a player is injured.

a. A play shall be completed when a team withholds the ball from play by
        ceasing to attempt to score or advance the ball to a scoring position.

Art. 8. Suspends play at the earliest possible time when a player incurs a wound
that causes bleeding or has blood on his body caused by blood from another
player’s wound. The official shall allow 20 seconds to remedy the situation before
instructing the player to leave the game.

Thanks.

Bama got totally screwed. Refs should have let the play go on until a normal stoppage.

Not sure it would have made a diffference in the end. Bama came completely unglued in the last 3 minutes trying to get it upcourt against the press. Shockers didn't win that game, Bama lost it. By one, after being up 10

Edit: 2b and 2e leave a lot of room for judgement calls, though

Edited by charsibb

• Topic Count:  9,898
  • Content Count:  66,091

there is optimism with basketball program

• Topic Count:  553
  • Content Count:  14,405
  • Days Won:  13

Goes to show, IMO, they have serious issues containing good players. GSU has two such players. What happens when they play a team with 3 or more? I don't know enough about BB to know if that was due to scheme or youth. I imagine both.

I also see a lot of people saying the team is young. Isn't that more of an issue with football? Aren't some of the best teams like Kentucky full of young players?

You definitely confirmed that when you went on to compare our situation to UK.  UK continually gets recruiting classes full of blue chip prospects that are NBA bound after one season.  We aren't even in the same universe as them when it comes to recruiting and basketball in general.  Just to give you an idea and compare it to football they're like what would happened if you merged FSU and Bama into one program.  

I wasn't comparing programs. What I meant was that unlike football, there are young skilled basketball players that can play at the top level. You don't see a top 5 football teams full of true freshmen starters. You do see basketball teams in that position with true freshmen starters. So what I was saying is, this talk about the team being young seems misleading. More like this team needs development.

• Topic Count:  2
  • Content Count:  822
  • Days Won:  0

Goes to show, IMO, they have serious issues containing good players. GSU has two such players. What happens when they play a team with 3 or more? I don't know enough about BB to know if that was due to scheme or youth. I imagine both.

I also see a lot of people saying the team is young. Isn't that more of an issue with football? Aren't some of the best teams like Kentucky full of young players?

You definitely confirmed that when you went on to compare our situation to UK.  UK continually gets recruiting classes full of blue chip prospects that are NBA bound after one season.  We aren't even in the same universe as them when it comes to recruiting and basketball in general.  Just to give you an idea and compare it to football they're like what would happened if you merged FSU and Bama into one program.  

I wasn't comparing programs. What I meant was that unlike football, there are young skilled basketball players that can play at the top level. You don't see a top 5 football teams full of true freshmen starters. You do see basketball teams in that position with true freshmen starters. So what I was saying is, this talk about the team being young seems misleading. More like this team needs development.

No, it's really not misleading. There are very, very few true freshman who can contribute at a significant level when they come to college hoops. You are talking about elite players. In the past, these athletes would have jumped straight to the NBA level. Now, the NBA requires the athlete to be at least 19 years old, AND they must be out of high school for at least one year.

No doubt this team needs development, but you state it like it's a trivial thing for a young athlete to be a starter in the division 1 level.

Edited by Sipher

• Topic Count:  553
  • Content Count:  14,405
  • Days Won:  13

No, it's really not misleading. There are very, very few true freshman who can contribute at a significant level when they come to college hoops. You are talking about elite players. In the past, these athletes would have jumped straight to the NBA level. Now, the NBA requires the athlete to be at least 19 years old, AND they must be out of high school for at least one year.

No doubt this team needs development, but you state it like it's a trivial thing for a young athlete to be a starter in the division 1 level.

There are enough that more than one top program gets them every year for years. I don't see that in college football. I don't see top college teams each year filled with true freshmen starters who leave after the junior year and are replaced with true freshmen starters.

• Topic Count:  86
  • Content Count:  17,061
  • Days Won:  19

I see IQs dropping

I see IQs dropping

feel like mine has gone negative reading this board :D