• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

Official USF v. Ga Southern Game Thread

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  86
  • Content Count:  17,061
  • Days Won:  19

I see IQs dropping

feel like mine has gone negative reading this board :D

You are smart, until you are not.

• Upvote 1

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  2
  • Content Count:  822
  • Days Won:  0

Goes to show, IMO, they have serious issues containing good players. GSU has two such players. What happens when they play a team with 3 or more? I don't know enough about BB to know if that was due to scheme or youth. I imagine both.

I also see a lot of people saying the team is young. Isn't that more of an issue with football? Aren't some of the best teams like Kentucky full of young players?

You definitely confirmed that when you went on to compare our situation to UK.  UK continually gets recruiting classes full of blue chip prospects that are NBA bound after one season.  We aren't even in the same universe as them when it comes to recruiting and basketball in general.  Just to give you an idea and compare it to football they're like what would happened if you merged FSU and Bama into one program.  

I wasn't comparing programs. What I meant was that unlike football, there are young skilled basketball players that can play at the top level. You don't see a top 5 football teams full of true freshmen starters. You do see basketball teams in that position with true freshmen starters. So what I was saying is, this talk about the team being young seems misleading. More like this team needs development.

No, it's really not misleading. There are very, very few true freshman who can contribute at a significant level when they come to college hoops. You are talking about elite players. In the past, these athletes would have jumped straight to the NBA level. Now, the NBA requires the athlete to be at least 19 years old, AND they must be out of high school for at least one year.

No doubt this team needs development, but you state it like it's a trivial thing for a young athlete to be a starter in the division 1 level.

There are enough that more than one top program gets them every year for years. I don't see that in college football. I don't see top college teams each year filled with true freshmen starters who leave after the junior year and are replaced with true freshmen starters.

Your original point is that isn't Kentucky a team full of young players, so why can't we be good with young players. There are literally TWO teams in NCAA basketball that consistently do well with young players. Those two programs are Kansas and Kentucky. They are exceptions, not the rule. Generally, it takes time for a team to act as a unit and gel well together (and obviously having the best talent doesn't hurt). 

Look at last year's NCAA tournament teams, there are only four teams that have an average age that is less than 19: Colorado - 18.9, Kansas - 18.9, Texas - 18.9, and Kentucky - 18.6. 

I think your point is that it can be done. If that's the case, then yes, it can be done... But it's extremely rare, and is only done consistently by two elite programs. Do you really expect this out of USF? Personally, I don't.

Edited by Sipher