• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

Jobs open? Let's speculate on coaching hires

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  22
  • Content Count:  8,722
  • Days Won:  23

BTW Ohio State was ranked 17th in the country for pass yards per game against this year after going to a more aggressive approach.

they also ranked #7 in sacks.

I'm glad Breesnahan is gone. I hope we never see the bend don't break prevent defense ever again at USF.

• Upvote 1

• Topic Count:  653
  • Content Count:  31,049
  • Days Won:  172

here is an article on Fickell. pretty interesting. I hope Meyer rubs off on him if he is our guy because he coached under Mark Snyder(awful-bend don't break philosophy) at one point and the Buckeyes were 110th in the country last year against the pass. it definitely seems like he is being fazed out. some interesting excerpts

In an effort to overhaul the flagging Ohio State defense, Urban Meyer performed the football equivalent of a shotgun wedding with his coaching staff, and then opted to ride chaperone to make sure bliss and blitzes ensued.

He kept Luke Fickell at defensive coordinator for a third season but brought in Chris Ash from Arkansas as co-coordinator with orders to turn the Buckeyes into a more aggressive, simpler unit that conceivably will be much improved against the pass.

Simplification, aggression and pressure now are at the core of the OSU approach.

But as Fickell made his way up the coaching ladder working under coordinators Mark Dantonio (now the head coach at Michigan State), Mark Snyder (now the defensive coordinator at Texas A&M), and Jim Heacock (retired), he was immersed in slightly less aggressive approaches up front and usually softer-but-safe pass-coverage schemes.

Since being named coordinator upon Meyer’s hiring in 2012, Fickell said he had wanted to move much more toward the aggressive side, “but I didn’t know enough about it to make a wholesale change.â€

Enter Ash, who had impressed Meyer with what he had done at Wisconsin before following coach Bret Bielema to Arkansas as coordinator last season. Proof that things were changing dramatically came in the spring, when the Buckeyes instituted press coverage more often than not, especially with the cornerbacks, and got after it up front with a variety of blitzes.

“At the end of the day, Coach Meyer doesn’t really care if you’re a 4-3 (scheme), a 3-4, or anything like that,†Ash said. “He wants a defense that plays relentless and plays fast and challenges everything. That’s what we’re trying to build. We’re going to challenge the wideouts, we’re going to challenge the quarterback, the run game, the pass game.â€

http://buckeyextra.dispatch.com/content/stories/2014/07/28/attack-mode.html

After reading this, I don't want Fickle, I want Chris Ash

• Upvote 1

• Topic Count:  23
  • Content Count:  10,200
  • Days Won:  2

I know Im bias but the more I read about Allen he could be a great hire. Looks like he is being groomed to become future DC at ole miss. As long as next DC has an attacking defense we will be in better shape on defense.

Then why in the world would he come here?
My guess he can become a DC now instead of maybe 4 or more years and he has family and friends in area.

Tampa Bay area or Oxford hummm

Edited by Bulls On Parade

• Topic Count:  93
  • Content Count:  3,048
  • Days Won:  6

BTW Ohio State was ranked 17th in the country for pass yards per game against this year after going to a more aggressive approach.

I'm glad Breesnahan is gone. I hope we never see the bend don't break prevent defense ever again at USF.

We've played "bend but don't break" because we didn't have the talent to play anything else.  You can't play press if your DBs are terrible.

• Topic Count:  22
  • Content Count:  8,722
  • Days Won:  23

We've played "bend but don't break" because we didn't have the talent to play anything else.  You can't play press if your DBs are terrible.

not true at all. we played that way because that's the scheme they run. Just like Holtz did.

wouldn't you think that if they we really bad that you would want them to cover for less time? you do that by playing press and blitzing. nobody can cover a guy for 8 seconds while 3 rushers do not get into backfield. much easier to cover for 2 seconds before blitzers get to QB. Bresnahan was terrible. Glad he is gone. Just like Snyder and Cosh before him. did not run an aggressive scheme.

Edited by Bull94

• Topic Count:  5
  • Content Count:  361
  • Days Won:  0

I believe the USF openings are attractive because Taggart has brought in a lot of talent in the last several Years.With better schemes and coaching USF could it turn around very quickly on both sides of the ball.

Allen seems to make sense as he is coming from a top-flight program and has ties to the area which will help recruiting. The risk would be that he has not had any track record as to what type of defense he would run

After reading the article Fickell may be available as it seems like Ohio State would not let Ash go. That being said if he did come I hope that he learned how to run an aggressive defense and has changed his philosophy enough to implement it.

Has anyone heard any rumblings about the offense coordinator. I really hope it's not an old high school football coach with no Division I college experience I believe that would be a disaster. They need a guy who is a good play caller and Game manager and CWT NEEDS TO GET OUT OF THE PLAY CALLING LOOP.

I believe last year's team had much more ability but the coaching and the play calling were absolutely atrocious. I was calling the plays correctly at least least 70% of the time. When you can't keep other teams off-balance it it's almost impossible to be successful.CWT needs to hire two solid guys so he can stick with his strengths which is recruiting selling the vision and let his coaches coach the talent he brings in.

• Group:  Moderator
  • Topic Count:  1,613
  • Content Count:  74,618
  • Days Won:  424

I know Im bias but the more I read about Allen he could be a great hire. Looks like he is being groomed to become future DC at ole miss. As long as next DC has an attacking defense we will be in better shape on defense.

Then why in the world would he come here?
My guess he can become a DC now instead of maybe 4 or more years and he has family and friends in area.

Tampa Bay area or Oxford hummm

Lifestyle could definitely be an attraction .... but the whole risk/reward thing concerning the situation here would lead me to stay where I was for the time being.

• Topic Count:  69
  • Content Count:  3,802
  • Days Won:  3

not true at all. we played that way because that's the scheme they run. Just like Holtz did.

wouldn't you think that if they we really bad that you would want them to cover for less time? you do that by playing press and blitzing. nobody can cover a guy for 8 seconds while 3 rushers do not get into backfield. much easier to cover for 2 seconds before blitzers get to QB. Bresnahan was terrible. Glad he is gone. Just like Snyder and Cosh before him. did not run an aggressive scheme.

I'm not one to beat the "the coach knows more than you do, shut up" drum, but... I find it hard to believe we've been through, what... 3? 4? coordinators in a row now that all invariably believe it's best to back off the receivers just because it's their system. Covering for less time, with ****** DB's, is a great way to get burned for touchdowns.

If you're pressing and blitzing - while simultaneously not getting to the QB and having the WR get behind you, you're in trouble. The entire point of bend but don't break is to keep them in front of you to prevent huge gains.

I want us to blitz and press too. We need more ball hawks and effective D lineman before we see it.

• Topic Count:  70
  • Content Count:  1,113
  • Days Won:  1

I believe the USF openings are attractive because Taggart has brought in a lot of talent in the last several Years.With better schemes and coaching USF could it turn around very quickly on both sides of the ball.

Allen seems to make sense as he is coming from a top-flight program and has ties to the area which will help recruiting. The risk would be that he has not had any track record as to what type of defense he would run

After reading the article Fickell may be available as it seems like Ohio State would not let Ash go. That being said if he did come I hope that he learned how to run an aggressive defense and has changed his philosophy enough to implement it.

Has anyone heard any rumblings about the offense coordinator. I really hope it's not an old high school football coach with no Division I college experience I believe that would be a disaster. They need a guy who is a good play caller and Game manager and CWT NEEDS TO GET OUT OF THE PLAY CALLING LOOP.

I believe last year's team had much more ability but the coaching and the play calling were absolutely atrocious. I was calling the plays correctly at least least 70% of the time. When you can't keep other teams off-balance it it's almost impossible to be successful.CWT needs to hire two solid guys so he can stick with his strengths which is recruiting selling the vision and let his coaches coach the talent he brings in.

Don't hold your breath, regarding CWT staying out of the playcalling. His ego is too big to do that. That is going to be his downfall.

• Topic Count:  553
  • Content Count:  14,405
  • Days Won:  13

Get whoever is at LATech that had them top three in turnover margin and top 5 most improved in the red zone.