• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

Jobs open? Let's speculate on coaching hires

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  138
  • Content Count:  3,594
  • Days Won:  3

Get whoever is at LATech that had them top three in turnover margin and top 5 most improved in the red zone.

:facepalm:

• Topic Count:  653
  • Content Count:  31,049
  • Days Won:  172

Get whoever is at LATech that had them top three in turnover margin and top 5 most improved in the red zone.

Facepalm_a27d11_2749295.jpg

• Upvote 1

• Topic Count:  112
  • Content Count:  8,159
  • Days Won:  8

• Topic Count:  22
  • Content Count:  8,722
  • Days Won:  23

BTW Ohio State was ranked 17th in the country for pass yards per game against this year after going to a more aggressive approach.

they also ranked #7 in sacks.

I'm glad Breesnahan is gone. I hope we never see the bend don't break prevent defense ever again at USF.

We've played "bend but don't break" because we didn't have the talent to play anything else.  You can't play press if your DBs are terrible.

not true at all. we played that way because that's the scheme they run. Just like Holtz did.

wouldn't you think that if they we really bad that you would want them to cover for less time? you do that by playing press and blitzing. nobody can cover a guy for 8 seconds while 3 rushers do not get into backfield. much easier to cover for 2 seconds before blitzers get to QB. Bresnahan was terrible. Glad he is gone. Just like Snyder and Cosh before him. did not run an aggressive scheme.

I'm not one to beat the "the coach knows more than you do, shut up" drum, but... I find it hard to believe we've been through, what... 3? 4? coordinators in a row now that all invariably believe it's best to back off the receivers just because it's their system. Covering for less time, with ****** DB's, is a great way to get burned for touchdowns.

If you're pressing and blitzing - while simultaneously not getting to the QB and having the WR get behind you, you're in trouble. The entire point of bend but don't break is to keep them in front of you to prevent huge gains.

I want us to blitz and press too. We need more ball hawks and effective D lineman before we see it.

sorry but coaches run the scheme that they know. even Fickell in that article admits that he doesn't know how to coach an aggressive defense because he coached and learned under guys that play a more conservative scheme. blaming a coaches approach on the talent is ridiculous. as I recall Snyder coached that way and i believe he had guys that are now in the NFL in his secondary.

I understand the philosophy behind bend don't break. I also understand that it leads to giving up the highest completion percentage against in the country at 68%+ and also one of the worst 3rd down conversion % against as well. Sorry but how aggressive a defense is called has more to do with the coach's approach than it does their talent.

• Topic Count:  83
  • Content Count:  7,041
  • Days Won:  11

BTW Ohio State was ranked 17th in the country for pass yards per game against this year after going to a more aggressive approach.

I'm glad Breesnahan is gone. I hope we never see the bend don't break prevent defense ever again at USF.

We've played "bend but don't break" because we didn't have the talent to play anything else.  You can't play press if your DBs are terrible.

not true at all. we played that way because that's the scheme they run. Just like Holtz did.

wouldn't you think that if they we really bad that you would want them to cover for less time? you do that by playing press and blitzing. nobody can cover a guy for 8 seconds while 3 rushers do not get into backfield. much easier to cover for 2 seconds before blitzers get to QB. Bresnahan was terrible. Glad he is gone. Just like Snyder and Cosh before him. did not run an aggressive scheme.

I'm not one to beat the "the coach knows more than you do, shut up" drum, but... I find it hard to believe we've been through, what... 3? 4? coordinators in a row now that all invariably believe it's best to back off the receivers just because it's their system. Covering for less time, with ****** DB's, is a great way to get burned for touchdowns.

If you're pressing and blitzing - while simultaneously not getting to the QB and having the WR get behind you, you're in trouble. The entire point of bend but don't break is to keep them in front of you to prevent huge gains.

I want us to blitz and press too. We need more ball hawks and effective D lineman before we see it.

sorry but coaches run the scheme that they know. even Fickell in that article admits that he doesn't know how to coach an aggressive defense because he coached and learned under guys that play a more conservative scheme. blaming a coaches approach on the talent is ridiculous. as I recall Snyder coached that way and i believe he had guys that are now in the NFL in his secondary.

I understand the philosophy behind bend don't break. I also understand that it leads to giving up the highest completion percentage against in the country at 68%+ and also one of the worst 3rd down conversion % against as well. Sorry but how aggressive a defense is called has more to do with the coach's approach than it does their talent.

I could be wrong, but I thought I read on here that there were times that snyder wanted to be more aggressive, but skippy said no.

• Topic Count:  22
  • Content Count:  8,722
  • Days Won:  23

I could be wrong, but I thought I read on here that there were times that snyder wanted to be more aggressive, but skippy said no.

I believe it was probably holtz's philosophy and I believe it led to his downfall because he did have 2 different coordinators that had conservative schemes. Leavitt loved to be aggressive. even with inexperienced corners. I do believe Snyder was more aggressive than Cosh and definitely Bresnahan. I just hope it's not coming from Taggart. I think it's obvious that our best defenses have been aggressive attacking defenses. not prevent defenses like we saw this year. sure an aggressive defense might give up a big play or two but they will also cause more turnovers, get more sacks and get off the field quicker.

• Topic Count:  83
  • Content Count:  7,041
  • Days Won:  11

somebody loves La Tech

• Topic Count:  23
  • Content Count:  10,200
  • Days Won:  2

We've played "bend but don't break" because we didn't have the talent to play anything else. You can't play press if your DBs are terrible.

I believe it was probably holtz's philosophy and I believe it led to his downfall because he did have 2 different coordinators that had conservative schemes. Leavitt loved to be aggressive. even with inexperienced corners. I do believe Snyder was more aggressive than Cosh and definitely Bresnahan. I just hope it's not coming from Taggart. I think it's obvious that our best defenses have been aggressive attacking defenses. not prevent defenses like we saw this year. sure an aggressive defense might give up a big play or two but they will also cause more turnovers, get more sacks and get off the field quicker.

I could even see being more conservative on first and second down and playing tight on third down..but how many third and longs did we see corners playing 7 yards off the receiver and convert easy third downs . Very frustrating defense to watch.

We gotta go back to an attacking defense.

• Upvote 1

• Topic Count:  553
  • Content Count:  14,405
  • Days Won:  13

Yeah, Holtz was calling Snyder at aTm and telling him to go soft because he did it there too.