• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

Jobs open? Let's speculate on coaching hires

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  23
  • Content Count:  10,200
  • Days Won:  2

I know Im bias but the more I read about Allen he could be a great hire. Looks like he is being groomed to become future DC at ole miss. As long as next DC has an attacking defense we will be in better shape on defense.

• Topic Count:  5
  • Content Count:  993
  • Days Won:  0

I would love to see some verification on Fickell interviewing.  With where he is at and what he makes I think its very unlikely he would be interested in actually coming here.

• Topic Count:  176
  • Content Count:  8,612
  • Days Won:  28

Fickell & Einhorn, Einhorn & Fickell.....

• Topic Count:  23
  • Content Count:  3,685
  • Days Won:  14

Ace Ventura, is that you?

• Topic Count:  263
  • Content Count:  24,750
  • Days Won:  87

Einhorn is a MAN!!!!   Oh ... my .... GOD!!!!! 

post-21721-Jim-Carrey-plunger-gif-Einhor

• Topic Count:  64
  • Content Count:  4,663
  • Days Won:  21

I would love to see some verification on Fickell interviewing.  With where he is at and what he makes I think its very unlikely he would be interested in actually coming here.

I believe that's premium pay content right now, I can't link it. 

• Topic Count:  22
  • Content Count:  8,722
  • Days Won:  23

it's quite possible he is being fazed out. co DC that was around before Meyer. He could have been kept on for recruiting and stability purposes and now that Meyer is settled in with his guys it might be time for him to move on. just a guess.

• Topic Count:  176
  • Content Count:  8,612
  • Days Won:  28

Einhorn is a MAN!!!! Oh ... my .... GOD!!!!!

post-21721-Jim-Carrey-plunger-gif-Einhor

Cue the music from The Crying Game...

• Group:  Moderator
  • Topic Count:  1,613
  • Content Count:  74,618
  • Days Won:  424

I know Im bias but the more I read about Allen he could be a great hire. Looks like he is being groomed to become future DC at ole miss. As long as next DC has an attacking defense we will be in better shape on defense.

Then why in the world would he come here?

• Topic Count:  22
  • Content Count:  8,722
  • Days Won:  23

here is an article on Fickell. pretty interesting. I hope Meyer rubs off on him if he is our guy because he coached under Mark Snyder(awful-bend don't break philosophy) at one point and the Buckeyes were 110th in the country last year against the pass. it definitely seems like he is being fazed out. some interesting excerpts

In an effort to overhaul the flagging Ohio State defense, Urban Meyer performed the football equivalent of a shotgun wedding with his coaching staff, and then opted to ride chaperone to make sure bliss and blitzes ensued.

He kept Luke Fickell at defensive coordinator for a third season but brought in Chris Ash from Arkansas as co-coordinator with orders to turn the Buckeyes into a more aggressive, simpler unit that conceivably will be much improved against the pass.

Simplification, aggression and pressure now are at the core of the OSU approach.

But as Fickell made his way up the coaching ladder working under coordinators Mark Dantonio (now the head coach at Michigan State), Mark Snyder (now the defensive coordinator at Texas A&M), and Jim Heacock (retired), he was immersed in slightly less aggressive approaches up front and usually softer-but-safe pass-coverage schemes.

Since being named coordinator upon Meyer’s hiring in 2012, Fickell said he had wanted to move much more toward the aggressive side, “but I didn’t know enough about it to make a wholesale change.â€

Enter Ash, who had impressed Meyer with what he had done at Wisconsin before following coach Bret Bielema to Arkansas as coordinator last season. Proof that things were changing dramatically came in the spring, when the Buckeyes instituted press coverage more often than not, especially with the cornerbacks, and got after it up front with a variety of blitzes.

“At the end of the day, Coach Meyer doesn’t really care if you’re a 4-3 (scheme), a 3-4, or anything like that,†Ash said. “He wants a defense that plays relentless and plays fast and challenges everything. That’s what we’re trying to build. We’re going to challenge the wideouts, we’re going to challenge the quarterback, the run game, the pass game.â€

http://buckeyextra.dispatch.com/content/stories/2014/07/28/attack-mode.html