• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

CWT's Bus: who's on, off, undecided?

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  86
  • Content Count:  17,061
  • Days Won:  19

On.

The ridiculous expectations of this fanbase sicken me. The cupboard was beyond bare(now made obvious by 50% of the 2-deep being Fr and So) when he got here. Constantly changing coaches every 3rd year makes it impossible to build something. Coach T is building something.

I don't think it is obvious that 50% of the 2-deep being Fr and So means the cupboard was bare. What it means is that Taggart was unable to adjust his philosophy to the players that were here to play a different system. The question is whether he can get the players he wants and be successful. Doesn't mean a more flexible coach couldn't have won with what was here.

This.

Long-term you recruit the Jimmies and Joes to fit your X's and O's, but short-term you adjust schemes to get the best result out of the players you have.

College football is part of the entertainment budget.

Entertain or you don't get budgeted.

With the dumpster fire we had at QB last season I'm not sure what offense we could have adapted towards. Floyd and Eveld were nice kids but had no business as starters at the FBS level, Bench can run a bit but has poor accuracy throwing the football, and White was a twig of a true freshman with slightly better accuracy than Bench. Then throw in how awful our offensive line was and I'm stumped how we adapt to the situation we had on offense. Maybe we run a little more read option with Bench but he couldn't stay healthy last year without that upped work load and I don't think he's explosive enough as a runner for that to translate to more wins. Spreading it out and tossing it around isn't an option due to poor accuracy at the QB spot and the fact we needed to max protect to even give our Qbs a chance to get rid of the ball. I'm waiting to hear a legitimate scheme we could've used last year to get more wins considering the dumpster fire we had on offense. People love to throw that argument around but never have a realistic suggestions about what could've actually been done. My thinking is if you have a throw away year (which anyone with a lick of sense knew it would be) you install your system and immerse the players in it so it's second nature by the next season.

What a breakdown.

• Topic Count:  263
  • Content Count:  24,750
  • Days Won:  87

On.

The ridiculous expectations of this fanbase sicken me. The cupboard was beyond bare(now made obvious by 50% of the 2-deep being Fr and So) when he got here. Constantly changing coaches every 3rd year makes it impossible to build something. Coach T is building something.

I don't think it is obvious that 50% of the 2-deep being Fr and So means the cupboard was bare. What it means is that Taggart was unable to adjust his philosophy to the players that were here to play a different system. The question is whether he can get the players he wants and be successful. Doesn't mean a more flexible coach couldn't have won with what was here.
This.

Long-term you recruit the Jimmies and Joes to fit your X's and O's, but short-term you adjust schemes to get the best result out of the players you have.

With the dumpster fire we had at QB last season I'm not sure what offense we could have adapted towards. Floyd and Eveld were nice kids but had no business as starters at the FBS level, Bench can run a bit but has poor accuracy throwing the football, and White was a twig of a true freshman with slightly better accuracy than Bench. Then throw in how awful our offensive line was and I'm stumped how we adapt to the situation we had on offense. Maybe we run a little more read option with Bench but he couldn't stay healthy last year without that upped work load and I don't think he's explosive enough as a runner for that to translate to more wins. Spreading it out and tossing it around isn't an option due to poor accuracy at the QB spot and the fact we needed to max protect to even give our Qbs a chance to get rid of the ball. I'm waiting to hear a legitimate scheme we could've used last year to get more wins considering the dumpster fire we had on offense. People love to throw that argument around but never have a realistic suggestions about what could've actually been done. My thinking is if you have a throw away year (which anyone with a lick of sense knew it would be) you install your system and immerse the players in it so it's second nature by the next season.

What a breakdown.

Exactly, and just want to highlight Dozer's last point too, seems to me it's a bad idea to teach your young team a "workaround" offense only to switch it up to the one you really want to run the following year.  Don't see how that does anyone on the team ANY good at all.  Better to waste a year learning Taggart Offense 101 so next year you can go to Taggart Offense 102. 

• Topic Count:  300
  • Content Count:  7,993
  • Days Won:  21

The only possible offensive fix I saw last year was if you commit to a read option and then moved someone from another position to QB. You pretty much would leave the passing game out.

Of course then you run into the lack of explosive RB issue.  Also that you had to move a player to play QB for a year and then have to move them back when you decide to run your system.

• Topic Count:  64
  • Content Count:  4,663
  • Days Won:  21

*Ignores all sensible posts*

TAGGERT SHOULD HAVE GOT AT LEAST 6 WINS JUST RUN THE SPREAD BRAH

FIRE HIM IM OFF THIS BUS, BRING IN DUNGY, LEAVITT, OR GRUDEN

IF THEY SUCK IN 1 YEAR FIRE THEM TOO

• Topic Count:  417
  • Content Count:  9,686
  • Days Won:  8

I bet the complex blocking schemes is what is really slowing the teams developement, combined with undersized o-line.

It's not just new QB but the whole team especially the offense had to break what were automated habits that they had acquired and learn new ones. Instead of actions being automatic for the line they now had to think and process where to be, what shift to make, new angles of attack, new techniques etc etc that before were all automatic and required less thinking now were totally new. Like trying to learn a new musical instrument, what may have been automatic on the guitar someone has played for years now require a lot more thinking and practice to play it on a piano if they haven't played a piano before.

I do think as these new habits take hold and are acquired earlier on by the incoming classes we will see this team progress this year and next.

I think Taggart can probably get this team to a bowl game in year 4, but I'm not sure if he'll be able to win the conference. Being near last in passing offense for two seasons doesn't give one a lot of hope, but then again, It may just be a result of untalented QBs that can fixed with a good QB.

Edited by Gismo

• Topic Count:  263
  • Content Count:  24,750
  • Days Won:  87

*Ignores all sensible posts*

TAGGERT SHOULD HAVE GOT AT LEAST 6 WINS JUST RUN THE SPREAD BRAH

FIRE HIM IM OFF THIS BUS, BRING IN DUNGY, LEAVITT, OR GRUDEN

IF THEY SUCK IN 1 YEAR FIRE THEM TOO

390.gif

• Topic Count:  18
  • Content Count:  8,878
  • Days Won:  28

We may have the best in the game...

armchair_coach_tshirt.jpg?height=225&wid

• Topic Count:  653
  • Content Count:  31,049
  • Days Won:  172

On.

The ridiculous expectations of this fanbase sicken me.  The cupboard was beyond bare(now made obvious by 50% of the 2-deep being Fr and So) when he got here.  Constantly changing coaches every 3rd year makes it impossible to build something.  Coach T is building something.

I don't think it is obvious that 50% of the 2-deep being Fr and So means the cupboard was bare.  What it means is that Taggart was unable to adjust his philosophy to the players that were here to play a different system.  The question is whether he can get the players he wants and be successful.  Doesn't mean a more flexible coach couldn't have won with what was here.

This.

Disagree. Every situation is different. It all depends on what you have to work with that determines on whether you adjust to what you have or start setting the new foundation right away. What scheme out there takes advantage of an inexperienced qb and an o line that sucks? 

For starters, how about an offense that doesn't require the QB to make a bunch of reads while standing in the pocket?  How about an offense that doesn't ask a QB that has difficulty throwing on the run to throw on the run?  How about not asking a smallish OLine to block for running plays and pass plays that require a massive OLine?  

Are you telling me that our OLine recruits are the 118th worst in DI?  Our QBs are the 118th worst in DI?  I'm not buying either of those stories, but that is what you are saying.

All of the above, plus the endless shifting and pre-snap motion.

Simplify the playbook and don't try to force 19-year-olds to drink from a fire hose.

Don't run every down, throw it deep.

Fake a few punts and FG tries.

Like I said, entertain or die

• Topic Count:  410
  • Content Count:  19,525
  • Days Won:  24

Akron has a middle of the road offense in DI.  What you are saying is that our recruits were far less talented than the recruits Akron signed.  That is ridiculous.  At some point excuses are just excuses.

And at some point, we have to realize that some people do nothing on here but peruse threads looking for something to argue about, even to the point of making up stuff to do so (see the Reilly Gibbons thread). Coach Dozer had a more detailed response that I 100% agree with that you ignored for obvious reasons. Please feel free to engage him ...

Voodoo had a much more detailed response than Dozer's response.  Please feel free to engage him.

Don't forget it takes two to Tango.

• Topic Count:  410
  • Content Count:  19,525
  • Days Won:  24

For starters, how about an offense that doesn't require the QB to make a bunch of reads while standing in the pocket?  How about an offense that doesn't ask a QB that has difficulty throwing on the run to throw on the run?  How about not asking a smallish OLine to block for running plays and pass plays that require a massive OLine?  

Are you telling me that our OLine recruits are the 118th worst in DI?  Our QBs are the 118th worst in DI?  I'm not buying either of those stories, but that is what you are saying.

All of the above, plus the endless shifting and pre-snap motion.

Simplify the playbook and don't try to force 19-year-olds to drink from a fire hose.

Don't run every down, throw it deep.

Fake a few punts and FG tries.

Like I said, entertain or die

Evidently we are alone on the island of reality.

Don't worry, Taggart is going to recruit the "right" players instead of the "wrong" ones and the coaching staff will magically improve.

Edited by ShadowBull