• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

Leavitt to KU?

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  109
  • Content Count:  21,030
  • Days Won:  38

Jim Leavitt is the man.

• Group:  Admin
  • Topic Count:  13,332
  • Content Count:  97,018
  • Days Won:  469

There's a lot of BS in this thread, especially regarding interference. A lot of assumptions and supporting one's own maligned vision with one's own interpretation. You should read the report. As more time passes it becomes even more silly.

• Group:  Admin
  • Topic Count:  13,332
  • Content Count:  97,018
  • Days Won:  469

And the secondhand information I have is that Jim Leavitt has received coaching offers but none that he would seriously consider. Mostly a bunch of low-end programs (like ours) looking for someone to take them to the promised land. It doesn't sound like he's ready to dedicate his life to that kind of undertaking again. He's got it pretty good these days.

• Topic Count:  86
  • Content Count:  17,061
  • Days Won:  19

Leavitt's next step will be a DC for a pro team or a HC for a mid level team. He is ready. He knows what he is doing.

I am also sure he is giddy that the defense he is a part of dismantled Chip Kelly's offense. I know I was.

• Topic Count:  576
  • Content Count:  8,174
  • Days Won:  6

would be cool to see him as a Pro DC

• Topic Count:  147
  • Content Count:  19,250
  • Days Won:  255

UConn moved up from FCS in 2000.

So the argument is if you dismiss the year Uconn had of a jump start in 1-A football as well as in the BigEast,the century of athletics along with the boosters and name recognition that comes with it, and assume that all was equal that their one conference co championship in 2007 some how means that Leavitt had plateaued and was incapable of getting us to the next level?

So the argument is that Florida recruiting is over hyped and inferior to New England?

I didn't know that recruiting was confined to region that should help us, ucf, fiu, fau, Miami and florida tremendously. But what I did know was having a rich tradition of winning and relevancy in your programs, a large booster base and awareness of your brand via the media is a huge advantage. Nobody wants to go to the school that the other kids are going to be asking why did you go there are you not good enough to go to x,y,z especially when you show up to both places and one looks like a bigger deal than the other. Under leavitt we made strides in relevancy, under Judy and woolard we made strides in the campus and facilities but if sports aside in 99 I had totally free rides to both I would 100% have chosen uconn over usf, hell I had never even heard of usf until they sent me a letter and I had lived 30 minutes away for most of my high school years sans my senior year.
  • Upvote 1

• Topic Count:  86
  • Content Count:  17,061
  • Days Won:  19

UCONN has brand recognition. Has been that way for a long time.

• Upvote 1

• Topic Count:  60
  • Content Count:  1,304
  • Days Won:  2

The one kinda out there thing about Leavitt-gate... he probably suffered a concussion during halftime after he head butted a player who had a helmet on. That can lead to memory loss. I believe he did slap a player, but didn't remember, therefore he gave what he thought was a proper defense to people "lying" about him.

There clearly was two different camps on the team whether he did or did not.

Then there is the, hey, he was just trying to get the kid's attention argument, a proverbial kick in the butt. Leavitt headbutted players for years... technically all instances of battery.

Leavitt was responsible for our meteoric rise, plain and simple. He did plateau a bit, but many coaches took a while to get over a hump. I'm sure in time, he would have had us all very happy.

What is clear though, is that he let this all get to his head, and thought he was bigger than the program, which clearly Woolard did not like. Woolard won. The battle, that is.

Edited by Bullschmutz

• Topic Count:  60
  • Content Count:  1,304
  • Days Won:  2

Footballwise, Leavitt was a great planner, and was amazing studing tape. His weakness was in-game desicions.

• Topic Count:  18
  • Content Count:  8,878
  • Days Won:  28

Footballwise, Leavitt was a great planner, and was amazing studing tape. His weakness was in-game desicions.

Tend to agree, rarely (if ever) changed his plan from half to half, while the other team(s) did. That, to me, is ultimately why he was shown the door. Awesome guy and good coach, though. We have yet to prove we can do better...