• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

Leavitt to KU?

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  95
  • Content Count:  2,430
  • Days Won:  3

It easy to look back now and say "yeah well what I would've done is..." 

Back when this happened there was A LOT of anti-Leavitt feeling on this board because of the fact that his teams couldn't deliver down the stretch and also how some thought he had misused Mike Ford as he was the sole reason we won our bowl game against NIU that year.

Now its clear that eventually recruiting really is the key to how successful our program can be, maybe had Leavitt had a couple of more recruting years with a BCS tag...

But you gotta remember that he didn't get fired for "striking" Miller, but for forcing his coaches and players to change their story. Leavitt got canned for the cover-up more than the crime so he had to go.

CJL was the father of this program and its a shame how his legacy ended around here, its going to take something BIG (opening of an OCS in 2018?) for USF and Leavitt to agree to some kind of public appearance or ceremony which kind of sucks because the man loved the school.

Edited by zarnozdabull

• Topic Count:  112
  • Content Count:  8,159
  • Days Won:  8

UConn moved up from FCS in 2000.

After spending 21 years there ...

Are you implying that Skip Holtz built UConn's foundation to win the Big East and dominate USF because he took them to the FCS playoffs.

That's reaching even for you, slick...

• Topic Count:  553
  • Content Count:  14,405
  • Days Won:  13

Are you implying that Skip Holtz built UConn's foundation to win the Big East and dominate USF because he took them to the FCS playoffs.

Why? People bring up 100 years of football like it makes some huge difference. If what happened 10 years ago is such a factor on a team, then USF would be top 25 now, right? USF never got higher than 3rd in the Big East while other programs, that didn't have "the best recruits" in its back yard won the Big East. Saying its because they had football a long time is ridiculous. Leavitt didn't have any worse depth than UConn or UL, etc.. That is an excuse that others didn't use because they were too busy winning the Big East.

• Topic Count:  410
  • Content Count:  19,525
  • Days Won:  24

After what our program has been through since CJL was fired, I am SHOCKED beyond belief that there are still those on here who will not give him any credit. It's amazing. Isn't a plateau at 8-wins better than a steady decline in talent, conference, wins, and bowl appearances? Maybe I am the one confused.

In any event, I wish Leavitt well and will pull for him any time he is not playing our Bulls.

Petrino apologized because he was clearly guilty of the accusations, including paying his mistress from University funds.

Leavitt, on the other hand, actually WON his suit against USF, which, if you are a logical person in any sense, SHOULD cast some doubt as to his guilt. I am certain that there was some truth to the accusations, but, it must not have been as black and white as some on here think. Judging by the last 5 years, maybe Leavitt should have been the most powerful man in the building. Clearly he was putting a winning product on the field in spite of the "leadership" above him.

I am SHOCKED that you believe there are people here not giving Leavitt any credit.  I don't think there is anyone here that believes that Leavitt did not do good work here for several years.

But there are also people here that do not think he is the greatest coach to ever live, as some people continue to attest.  They also believe that slapping and choking players is acceptable, and the head coach being arrogant, thinking he could do what ever he wanted with no repercussions and thumbing his nose at the administration and by extension the university should be tolerated because he was able to maintain a record over .500.

Everyone gives Leavitt credit for what he did. There are many that think he peaked as a coach. Just like Holtz was in over his head at this level but did fine at ECU. I mean, if you consider football to be like the strategy of war, you see it in military history, generals that excel at a certain level of command and flop when given more than they can chew.

As for recruiting, USF had one of the best recruiters in college football, who left for Miami.

• Topic Count:  56
  • Content Count:  4,424
  • Days Won:  19

leavitt deserves alot of credit for what he did in starting the program and winning some big games

but once he struck a student athlete that ended his relationship  with usf

an honest look at leavitt's record reveals he never won anything

correct.

I would not have fired CJL abruptly... Replace him overtime during the investigation? Yes!

I give him a lot of credit for building the prorgram. He brought in some of the best years for USF, BUT he wasn't a closer.

He was fired abruptly FOR INTERFERING WITH THE INVESTIGATION.

I mean... how did he interfere?

Told other what to say? meh.

leavitt deserves alot of credit for what he did in starting the program and winning some big games

correct.

I would not have fired CJL abruptly... Replace him overtime during the investigation? Yes!

I give him a lot of credit for building the prorgram. He brought in some of the best years for USF, BUT he wasn't a closer.

:facepalm:

• Topic Count:  410
  • Content Count:  19,525
  • Days Won:  24

correct.

According to reports and the investigation document made public by USF, the final straw was Leavitt retailating against a player who testified against him by throwing away the players personal items.  There were also unverified but multiple reports that Leavitt was pressuring players give the Leavitt version of the reports and recorded phone calls of Leavitt calling the player in question and trying to convince him to change his story.  These allegations were either not collaborated or would be inadmissable in court and therefore were not officially the cause of termination.

• Topic Count:  69
  • Content Count:  1,633
  • Days Won:  3

It easy to look back now and say "yeah well what I would've done is..." 

Back when this happened there was A LOT of anti-Leavitt feeling on this board because of the fact that his teams couldn't deliver down the stretch and also how some thought he had misused Mike Ford as he was the sole reason we won our bowl game against NIU that year.

Now its clear that eventually recruiting really is the key to how successful our program can be, maybe had Leavitt had a couple of more recruting years with a BCS tag...

But you gotta remember that he didn't get fired for "striking" Miller, but for forcing his coaches and players to change their story. Leavitt got canned for the cover-up more than the crime so he had to go.

CJL was the father of this program and its a shame how his legacy ended around here, its going to take something BIG (opening of an OCS in 2018?) for USF and Leavitt to agree to some kind of public appearance or ceremony which kind of sucks because the man loved the school

That is never going to happen.  Nothing "BIG" enough will happen for him and/or the University to want to have all of it dug up and written about again prior to the "appearance or ceremony."  It won't be worth it.

• Topic Count:  653
  • Content Count:  31,049
  • Days Won:  172

Why? People bring up 100 years of football like it makes some huge difference. If what happened 10 years ago is such a factor on a team, then USF would be top 25 now, right? USF never got higher than 3rd in the Big East while other programs, that didn't have "the best recruits" in its back yard won the Big East. Saying its because they had football a long time is ridiculous. Leavitt didn't have any worse depth than UConn or UL, etc.. That is an excuse that others didn't use because they were too busy winning the Big East.

Pretty sure when most people are talking about longevoty of a football program, it's not players and coaches they're talking about, it's boosters.

By having a 100-year head start on us, they ougth to have 100-odd years of better boosters, and money talks.