• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

Patience in the process

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  300
  • Content Count:  7,993
  • Days Won:  21

The story of the downward trend is that the 2012 season was played with mostly juniors and seniors, meaning we were 3-9 with an experienced team. Also means the freshmen and sophomores could not beat them out.

Now we're at the other end by being young and inexperienced. The 2012 freshmen and sophomores now juniors and seniors are now losing their spots to newcomers. There wasn't a lot of talent in those classes. There is some (chandler, Watson and cliett) but not enough across the board.

• Upvote 1

• Group:  Admin
  • Topic Count:  13,332
  • Content Count:  97,002
  • Days Won:  469

I would disagree with the characterization that we were never "good." If you're winning 8-9 games a year you are good. We weren't great or even "very good" and certainly weren't consistent.

Yeah, I don't get where people get that thought we were never good. 

• Topic Count:  121
  • Content Count:  4,259
  • Days Won:  3

I would disagree with the characterization that we were never "good." If you're winning 8-9 games a year you are good. We weren't great or even "very good" and certainly weren't consistent.

Agreed, saying we weren't good under Leavitt is nonsense.  We didn't have the depth we needed for an entire season but absolutely were very good at times and good for the most part.

• Topic Count:  303
  • Content Count:  5,550
  • Days Won:  21

This was always going to be a long term project.

When CWT came in, many people said it would take a couple of years to reestablish talent.

However patience wore thin for most who did expect this.

We had SOME talent but not enough. And not where it mattered most.

These are trying times, and where the real fan will be separated from the rest

• Group:  TBP Subscriber
  • Topic Count:  173
  • Content Count:  6,952
  • Days Won:  12

We had good moments DESPITE ourselves. Current goal is to instill greatness in the program at it's core so that greatness is what we produce.

• Topic Count:  601
  • Content Count:  16,342
  • Days Won:  43

My patience runs out next season. If we are still looking like we did against NC ST next season then it is time for another change. Sorry, but this program needs a shot in the arm soon. 

• Topic Count:  246
  • Content Count:  6,348
  • Days Won:  8

My dwindling lack of patience, during this supposed rebuild, is not from the lack of wins. It is from the lack of no apparent improvement on offense. If we would begin to show some competence and even the smallest degree of command of the offense I would start to feel we are moving in the right direction. There seems to be no mastery at all for the offense. That is what is really concerning.

A command of the offense, to me, would mean the ability to move the ball down the field consistently. Even if the drives would stall out that would indicate progress and would lead me to believe that we are just a few players away or even a matter of needing another year to become smarter or more physically mature. We are not showing that at all. No mastery or command of the offense. No improvement at all.

Think about it. In the WCU game all of scores were either from very long runs by Mack or set up by an amazing, long catch by Davis. We couldn't move the ball or sustain a drive long enough to kill the clock when we needed to.

I don't remember how long the scoring drive vs Maryland was, but again, it came as a result of a fairly long run, because of an exceptional athletic effort by Bench.

Again, we had one long play for a TD against NC State. The rest of the game was spent mostly going backwards.

So, of the 6 offensive TDs so far this year, we had maybe 1 that was a culmination of drive. The rest were either because of exceptionsl personal effort or perhaps a mistake made by the defense.

Until we can actually move the ball competently and even somewhat consistently (even if we don't score) and actually look like a football team, I am not convinced that progress is being made. Without progress being made then patience continues to dwindle.

Just my opinion

• Upvote 1

• Topic Count:  112
  • Content Count:  8,159
  • Days Won:  8

I'm fine with wins without the improvement. 1-2 is where we should reasonably be anyway right now, and it was darn close to 2-1. If we can be 2-2 and 1-0 in conference come Saturday morning, I'm fine with being patient for the long haul.

• Topic Count:  132
  • Content Count:  10,380
  • Days Won:  18

Agreed, saying we weren't good under Leavitt is nonsense.  We didn't have the depth we needed for an entire season but absolutely were very good at times and good for the most part.

We were never consistent in conference play under Leavitt. The teams we played against the most consistently essentially had USF's game planning figured out. I remember my frustration during those games. We tended to hang well with spread-oriented offenses, like WVU and Louisville, we tended to struggle against Rutgers, which played more smash mouth, and it was a toss-up against UConn.

• Topic Count:  486
  • Content Count:  12,455
  • Days Won:  25

I have to agree with usfgrad84 here. I have to see two things, consistently.

First, as 84 said, improvement.

Second, and the one thing that pisses me off more than anything, is the total lack of preparedness we witnessed on Saturday. THERE IS NO EXCUSE!