• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

Patience in the process

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  22
  • Content Count:  8,722
  • Days Won:  23

My dwindling lack of patience, during this supposed rebuild, is not from the lack of wins. It is from the lack of no apparent improvement on offense. If we would begin to show some competence and even the smallest degree of command of the offense I would start to feel we are moving in the right direction. There seems to be no mastery at all for the offense. That is what is really concerning.

A command of the offense, to me, would mean the ability to move the ball down the field consistently. Even if the drives would stall out that would indicate progress and would lead me to believe that we are just a few players away or even a matter of needing another year to become smarter or more physically mature. We are not showing that at all. No mastery or command of the offense. No improvement at all.

Think about it. In the WCU game all of scores were either from very long runs by Mack or set up by an amazing, long catch by Davis. We couldn't move the ball or sustain a drive long enough to kill the clock when we needed to.

I don't remember how long the scoring drive vs Maryland was, but again, it came as a result of a fairly long run, because of an exceptional athletic effort by Bench.

Again, we had one long play for a TD against NC State. The rest of the game was spent mostly going backwards.

So, of the 6 offensive TDs so far this year, we had maybe 1 that was a culmination of drive. The rest were either because of exceptionsl personal effort or perhaps a mistake made by the defense.

Until we can actually move the ball competently and even somewhat consistently (even if we don't score) and actually look like a football team, I am not convinced that progress is being made. Without progress being made then patience continues to dwindle.

Just my opinion

As sad as it may seem, there has been improvement in the offense. very small improvement but it is there. last year we were lucky to get the snap off without drawing a penalty. this year we are averaging more yards and  10 points per game more. we have 6 TDs compared to 11 all of last year. This is after playing two BCS teams in 3 games.

I think if you take away all of the big plays from any offense then they all look mediocre. Not sure why people ever say "if Mack doesn't run for 275 we lose" or if "Bench doesn't make a play or two we don't score". Guess what they are part of the offense . They are expected to make plays. that's why they are out there.

Rome wasn't built in a day and this program won't be rebuilt in a year or two. we desperately need a Qb, better o-line and some more playmakers. I think Taggart is a great recruiter and will be able to fill those needs. It just takes time.

• Topic Count:  246
  • Content Count:  6,348
  • Days Won:  8

It is part of the offense with every team and should be with ours as well . I think you missed the point. I am saying that we have not sustained one drive yet this season that ended in a score. Not one in three games. That is not improvement.

The only thing you can point to as a minor improvement is being able to snap the ball without a penalty? We are paying a guy upwards of $1.5 a year and that's the improvement we are showing? I can get a bunch of soccer moms that could not name the different positions along the O line to do that.

Really, at that rate of improvement we will have a branch of USF on the moon before we get back to a bowl game.

There needs to be some sense of urgency about rebuilding this team. I am just looking for a light at the end of the tunnel here. Something that points to some encouragement that even 2 years down the road we could be making the long awaited trip to the St. Pete bowl. Cause i haven't seen anything pointing to it happening this or next year yet.

Goal for 2014-snapping the ball without a penalty

Goal for 2015-completing more than 50% of passes

Goal for 2016-maybe score more than once a game on offense vs FBS teams

Is that the progress we are expecting? That seems where we are heading.

• Upvote 1

It is part of the offense with every team and should be with ours as well . I think you missed the point. I am saying that we have not sustained one drive yet this season that ended in a score. Not one in three games. That is not improvement.

The only thing you can point to as a minor improvement is being able to snap the ball without a penalty? We are paying a guy upwards of $1.5 a year and that's the improvement we are showing? I can get a bunch of soccer moms that could not name the different positions along the O line to do that.

Really, at that rate of improvement we will have a branch of USF on the moon before we get back to a bowl game.

There needs to be some sense of urgency about rebuilding this team. I am just looking for a light at the end of the tunnel here. Something that points to some encouragement that even 2 years down the road we could be making the long awaited trip to the St. Pete bowl. Cause i haven't seen anything pointing to it happening this or next year yet.

ask chip kelly how much a sustained drive means to him.

like I said scoring is up an average of 10 points per game.

we have scored 6 times where we only scored 11 times last year.

penalties are down nearly 40%.

yards are up over 15% per game from last year

am I happy with the offense? absolutely not. do I see incremental progress? without a doubt.

not sure how you expect there to be a quick turnaround in a college football program. we can't go on the free agent market and buy our way out of it.

the offensive line needs a total rebuild. that takes time. it's not a quick fix.

we have a very good Freshman RB. RBs can play early. they don't need the time to develop like a QB or o-linemen

our QB situation is killing us. Tags has tried to land some pretty good transfers (trickett, Brissett) and came close unfortunately they chose to play in front of 50-60k in a real conference instead of here. hopefully he can land a legit JUCO or graduate transfer that can play right away because what we have will not work as evidenced by the below 50% completion percentage.

Edited by Bull94

• Topic Count:  1,586
  • Content Count:  23,185
  • Days Won:  65

Other than penalties, the fact that we played a bad FCS team v. a good FCS team could account for the stats you quote.

Other than penalties, the fact that we played a bad FCS team v. a good FCS team could account for the stats you quote.

we scored 10 less against mcneese than western carolina. that would account for 3.3 ppg average.

I'm not arguing we have seen some great offensive turnaround. they are doing some things better though.

we really won't make any big progress until we get a capable QB .

last year we scored 0 offensive Tds in our two wins.

With as bad as we have played, we have at least been able to score an offensive TD against both of our BCS opponents so far.

• Topic Count:  17
  • Content Count:  1,516
  • Days Won:  0

Couldn't agree more.

• Topic Count:  17
  • Content Count:  1,516
  • Days Won:  0

am I happy with the offense? absolutely not. do I see incremental progress? without a doubt.

not sure how you expect there to be a quick turnaround in a college football program. we can't go on the free agent market and buy our way out of it.

the offensive line needs a total rebuild. that takes time. it's not a quick fix.

we have a very good Freshman RB. RBs can play early. they don't need the time to develop like a QB or o-linemen

our QB situation is killing us. Tags has tried to land some pretty good transfers (trickett, Brissett) and came close unfortunately they chose to play in front of 50-60k in a real conference instead of here. hopefully he can land a legit JUCO or graduate transfer that can play right away because what we have will not work as evidenced by the below 50% completion percentage.

Your stats are incredibly skewed.

Take out the Western Carolina game and we have scored 1 TD in each of the 2 games vs FBS teams. Scoring is up over 10 points per game from last year? We are averaging 10 points a game against legitimate opponents. We have 1 TD pass in the last 6 games we have played. 

Penalties should have been fixed last year. 

Something tells me Chip Kelly's offensive mindset is on the other end of the world compared to Willie Taggarts. The hurry-up/no huddle spread offense just seems to be different than the power run O, but I could be wrong.

There is progress, but very very very minimal progress. The fact that we cannot sustain a drive as grad84 has pointed out is a huge red flag. The guy has had spring ball, a full season, spring ball, and even 3 games this year now and our offense still looks absolutely lost.

• Topic Count:  23
  • Content Count:  10,199
  • Days Won:  2

I would like to see this offense with Bench being the starter and with a week of practice.

I think this offense with Bench can win 3-5 games.

Edited by Bulls On Parade

Your stats are incredibly skewed.

Take out the Western Carolina game and we have scored 1 TD in each of the 2 games vs FBS teams. Scoring is up over 10 points per game from last year? We are averaging 10 points a game against legitimate opponents. We have 1 TD pass in the last 6 games we have played. 

Penalties should have been fixed last year. 

Something tells me Chip Kelly's offensive mindset is on the other end of the world compared to Willie Taggarts. The hurry-up/no huddle spread offense just seems to be different than the power run O, but I could be wrong.

There is progress, but very very very minimal progress. The fact that we cannot sustain a drive as grad84 has pointed out is a huge red flag. The guy has had spring ball, a full season, spring ball, and even 3 games this year now and our offense still looks absolutely lost.

we didn't even score a TD in 6 games last year and you're complaining about scoring only 1 each against BCS teams at the start of the season.

again I'm not arguing that we have seen some great transformation but we have seen incremental progress.

we can't sustain a drive because we don't have a decent QB and our line can't compete with a BCS program d-line right now.

it really doesn't matter how good an x and o guy is if he doesn't have the talent.

• Topic Count:  86
  • Content Count:  17,061
  • Days Won:  19

We need to find the Mack equivalent at QB and the Chandler and Watkins equivalent at Oline