• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

Can Taggart evaluate talent?

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  22
  • Content Count:  8,722
  • Days Won:  23

There have been some serious issues with his quarterback evaluations and recruiting. I don't think there's any choice but to question whether he or his staff know what they're seeing in a quarterback, and even more questions about whether they know how to mold an offense around that quarterback's strengths and weaknesses.

To have a 35.7 percent completion rate through three games at the FBS level is quite frankly inexcusable and I'm not sure I've ever seen the like before. For things to be that bad you have to be doing several things wrong. That you're recruiting poorly is a given. But it also means that you're not doing what you need to do on offense in order to help your quarterbacks out. If they can't make complex reads or read-progressions, you MUST simplify things. You must set doable tasks in front of them.

Well, unless you want to walk out of the season having your only win come against an opponent that is terrible even at the FCS level.

no doubt he needs to recruit a QB. He wiffed on Brissett and Trickett to name 2. They would have worked wonders for us.

It's possible it doesn't have anything to do with the complexity of the offense. Steven Bench was a triple option QB in high school for most of his career. He was never an accurate passer. He is a terrible fit for this style of offense whether or not it's simplified.

I don't know what White's issue is because he seemed to be the right style of QB. He throws a nice deep ball. He has a strong arm. His accuracy has been terrible and he is not athletic enough to play behind a swiss cheese line.

I'm sure they are adapting the scheme. I can't imagine them not making it simpler if that were the way to fix it. I think it goes deeper than a simple adjustment though.

• Replies 104
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Topic Count:  410
  • Content Count:  19,525
  • Days Won:  24

There have been some serious issues with his quarterback evaluations and recruiting. I don't think there's any choice but to question whether he or his staff know what they're seeing in a quarterback, and even more questions about whether they know how to mold an offense around that quarterback's strengths and weaknesses.

To have a 35.7 percent completion rate through three games at the FBS level is quite frankly inexcusable and I'm not sure I've ever seen the like before. For things to be that bad you have to be doing several things wrong. That you're recruiting poorly is a given. But it also means that you're not doing what you need to do on offense in order to help your quarterbacks out. If they can't make complex reads or read-progressions, you MUST simplify things. You must set doable tasks in front of them.

Well, unless you want to walk out of the season having your only win come against an opponent that is terrible even at the FCS level.

Clearly you are wrong.  Just ask Trip.  Taggart would only ever choose the most effective player to start a game.  

Clearly you are wrong.  Just ask Trip.  Taggart would only ever choose the most effective player to start a game.  

obviously in the QBs case he has chosen the most effective player to start. unfortunately he isn't all that good. why you keep arguing that Bench is so much better an option than white is beyond me.

• Topic Count:  96
  • Content Count:  4,501
  • Days Won:  0

All right girls....lets hike up your skirts.....after reading the ******** going on here I have come to the conclusion that Hem and I are the only people on this board that watched the last game.  Hem hit it right on the head.....our OL was bad, horrible stunk.....NCST got pressure up the middle and on the edges.  White had no time and had defenders in his face the whole time.  NO QB can do well in that situation. 

No I am not saying Mike White is the answer but I sure wouldn't judge him on the last game. 

Is CWT the answer....I don't know but things will sort themselves out thru this year and next.

And .....our offense didn't give up 49 points.......If that doesn't change ECU,Cinci and whoever will light us up big time.(esp Cinci)

• Topic Count:  410
  • Content Count:  19,525
  • Days Won:  24

obviously in the QBs case he has chosen the most effective player to start. unfortunately he isn't all that good. why you keep arguing that Bench is so much better an option than white is beyond me.

Please show me one post where I said Bench as "so much better".  People continue to put words in my mouth.

If Bench makes the offense perform 1% better, he should be the starter.

Please show me one post where I said Bench as "so much better".  People continue to put words in my mouth.

If Bench makes the offense perform 1% better, he should be the starter.

in his playing time, Bench has not been able to make the offense perform  1% better

he has had 3 opportunities to do so and yet you still think Taggart has it out for him..

• Topic Count:  417
  • Content Count:  9,687
  • Days Won:  8

The problem I have with White is that White hasn't shown he deserves to remain starter.

Most coaches pull players that play badly, especially the QB. Taggart refuses.

Sure Bench hasn't made a great case for himself but White has had every chance and fails every time.

The problem I have with White is that White hasn't shown he deserves to remain starter.

Sure Bench hasn't made a great case for himself but White has had every chance and fails every time.

Bench has had just as many chances and has failed. why keep switching them expecting this time to be any different than the last 3 times? neither are deserving but White has proven to be just slightly better.

• Topic Count:  152
  • Content Count:  19,395
  • Days Won:  233

Bench has had just as many chances and has failed. why keep switching them expecting this time to be any different than the last 3 times? neither are deserving but White has proven to be just slightly better.

Please elaborate on how White and Bench have had equal opportunities and how White's production is greater than Bench.

White has 4 TDs and 10 INTs. Bench has 3 TDs to 4 INTs.

White has thrown 218 passes. Bench has 101 throws.

Even doing a quick estimate where we double Bench's chances and get double the production, its 6 and 8. More TDs, less picks. Again not perfect, but there's no way you can say White has produced more. He has 1 TD more in 100 passes AND 6 more INTs.

Edited by JTrue

• Topic Count:  1,586
  • Content Count:  23,185
  • Days Won:  65

Personally, I would go with Bench, but CWT must see something different.