• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

Can Taggart evaluate talent?

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  56
  • Content Count:  4,425
  • Days Won:  19

How did Bench look in practice compared to White?

Maybe there are fundemental reasons why we are going with White and Flowers

over Bench?

• Replies 104
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Topic Count:  410
  • Content Count:  19,525
  • Days Won:  24

The problem I have with White is that White hasn't shown he deserves to remain starter.

Most coaches pull players that play badly, especially the QB. Taggart refuses.

Sure Bench hasn't made a great case for himself but White has had every chance and fails every time.

Bench has had just as many chances and has failed.

We've been through this all week.  Bench has barely had 1/4 of the opportunities given to White and the offense has performed at least as well but probably better.

Please cite me statistics that show Bench has had "as many chances".

• Topic Count:  44
  • Content Count:  1,705
  • Days Won:  3

The problem I have with White is that White hasn't shown he deserves to remain starter.

Sure Bench hasn't made a great case for himself but White has had every chance and fails every time.

We've been through this all week.  Bench has barely had 1/4 of the opportunities given to White and the offense has performed at least as well but probably better.

Bench had 6 turnovers worth of opportunities in the Maryland game. Now I am sure he is effected just as much as white is by our OL play, but NONE of the 3 QB's has looked amazing. I can understand the approach if they are close it is white until white loses the job. From everything I have read it is the OL losing the job. That said if white has another horrible game vs UCONN I think Bench comes in, or we go with Flowers the rest of the way. OL is the first problem we need to fix. QB is a close 2nd, but at this point I feel like we are choosing between two C's and and a D hoping one of them can bring their grade up to at least a B. 

• Topic Count:  263
  • Content Count:  24,750
  • Days Won:  87

It's kind of funny that Bull94 has chosen this point to finally go quiet on. 

• Topic Count:  22
  • Content Count:  8,722
  • Days Won:  23

Bench was given the job against FAU where he went 8 for 23 . got the next start against the #102 pass defense and went 13 for 27. got hurt against Cincy but then cam back against uofL and went 4 -12 before giving way to White.

he had every opportunity to win the job before White even took a snap. He even had a chance to take it back again this year but apparently Taggart felt he didn't do enough to start in front on White with a broken arm.

Listen i'm not saying White is a clear cut winner just that Bench has done absolutely nothing to prove he should start. The offense has been just as bad under him. I can't believe anybody actually thinks otherwise. The guy has a career 40.6% completion percenatge

White has 218 attempts passing.

Bench has 101.

hardly 1/4 of the opportunities.

fact is our QB situation stinks and going to Bench will not help as has been proven on more than 1 occasion.

QB ratings

Bench 74.2 this year

93.0 last year

White 89.3 this year

100.5 last year

QBR rating (takes rushing into account)

Bench 28.3 this year

6.6 last year

White 13.0 this year

36.8 last year

as bad as White has been, Bench has been worse.

• Group:  Moderator
  • Topic Count:  1,612
  • Content Count:  74,608
  • Days Won:  424

NAME               CMP    ATT    YDS    CMP%        YDS/A            TD   INT   RAT 
Mike White         14       43      275     32.6           6.40              1      1      89.3 

Steven Bench    15        37      172     40.5           4.65               0      1     74.2 

6 more attempts. Personally, I'd like to see Bench get more time because he's more like what I've been accustomed to watching at that position back in the good times ... but he had a great chance to prove himself ON THE FIELD in the 4th quarter of the Md game and he made 2 boneheaded decisions to effectively wipe out any small chance we may have had to pull that game out that may be playing into the coaches' decisions. 

NAME               CMP    ATT    YDS    CMP%        YDS/A            TD   INT   RAT 
Mike White         14       43      275     32.6           6.40              1      1      89.3 

Steven Bench    15        37      172     40.5           4.65               0      1     74.2 

6 more attempts. Personally, I'd like to see Bench get more time because he's more like what I've been accustomed to watching at that position back in the good times ... but he had a great chance to prove himself ON THE FIELD in the 4th quarter of the Md game and he made 2 boneheaded decisions to effectively wipe out any small chance we may have had to pull that game out that may be playing into the coaches' decisions. 

I'd love to have a dual threat. Something like a Grothe or Daniels. I wanted Bench to take over the job and not give it back for 3 years.

Personally I don't think either one is the answer though.

White is more suited to this style offense because I believe ,even as bad as he has been this year, that he is the better passer. I'd have no problem if Bench stole the gig though. I tend to root (and defend) for whoever the starter is.

Did it when Grothe started and when Daniels started ( those people that wanted them benched for their backups must feel like schmucks considering the current situation) and I'll continue to do it no matter who our starter is. there are those on here that will never be happy with the starter(not saying I am now) unless they are perfect and win the heisman and NC every year

• Topic Count:  176
  • Content Count:  8,612
  • Days Won:  28

At this point, give Evan Wilson a shot. He looked the best suited for this offense when I was at the camp practices.

Got nothing to lose other then Willie's pride if he's the answer.