• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

Can Taggart evaluate talent?

• Group:  Moderator
  • Topic Count:  1,612
  • Content Count:  74,536
  • Days Won:  422

I got a chance to speak with Tags at an event just before the season and after he announced White as the starter.  Asked him how tough the decision was between the two.  He said it was really tough and the two were very close.  So if one of them fractures a wrist and they were that close, why wouldn't you start the other.

I've said it before and will repeat it here. I believe that after pulling Floyd, the guy he named starter after preseason competition, after one half last year that he is sticking to White out of principle.  Changing QBs after one game would be admitting that he screwed this up again so is determined to stick with White as long as he can. 

Or he's sticking with White because he still believes he gives him the best chance to win .. Still can't overlook Bench's 4th quarter against Md where he pretty much crapped away any chance to at least send the game to OT. Looking at the tapes, maybe they feel MW's decision making is still better than SB's and he's giving him every chance to bring the physical part up to it ... Either way, I don't think it's got anything to do with the Floyd situation.

I do love how you bring up Bench's 4th quarter and how "bad" you believe he did.  But you don't mention how White has been just as bad or worse for a longer stretch.  Bench performed better in the first three quarters than White has in any quarter this year.

Please don't tell me you're even trying to attempt to defend Bench's play in those last two drives. Looking at the stats for this year just doesn't back up your contention about Bench being that much better on the field ... and as far as the Bench/White 3qtrs/1qtr comparison:

Bench   13-29  157 yds  5.4/att     1 Td (running)  0 Int

White     3-5       82 yds  16.4/att    0 td    0 Int

• Replies 104
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Group:  Moderator
  • Topic Count:  1,612
  • Content Count:  74,536
  • Days Won:  422

The problem I have with White is that White hasn't shown he deserves to remain starter.

Most coaches pull players that play badly, especially the QB. Taggart refuses.

Sure Bench hasn't made a great case for himself but White has had every chance and fails every time.

Bench has had just as many chances and has failed.

We've been through this all week. Bench has barely had 1/4 of the opportunities given to White and the offense has performed at least as well but probably better.

Please cite me statistics that show Bench has had "as many chances".

It's kind of funny that Bull94 has chosen this point to finally go quiet on.

NAME CMP ATT YDS CMP% YDS/A TD INT RAT

Mike White 14 43 275 32.6 6.40 1 1 89.3

Steven Bench 15 37 172 40.5 4.65 0 1 74.2

6 more attempts. Personally, I'd like to see Bench get more time because he's more like what I've been accustomed to watching at that position back in the good times ... but he had a great chance to prove himself ON THE FIELD in the 4th quarter of the Md game and he made 2 boneheaded decisions to effectively wipe out any small chance we may have had to pull that game out that may be playing into the coaches' decisions.

This is your argument?

:facepalm:

Better than your "he gave me cookies and milk so I'm starting him over an obviously much better player" ....

Not my point at all, and you still don't understand after being discussed all week.

My point is that White has traits that he likes so he is sticking with him. It should be about production, not about traits. Once you have clearly seen the production isn't there, move on to others and see if the production is there.

So you're saying it's time to give Wilson a shot then ...

I think that is EXACTLY what the poster is saying.

That's the only logical conclusion from that statement ...

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  410
  • Content Count:  19,525
  • Days Won:  24

I got a chance to speak with Tags at an event just before the season and after he announced White as the starter.  Asked him how tough the decision was between the two.  He said it was really tough and the two were very close.  So if one of them fractures a wrist and they were that close, why wouldn't you start the other.

I've said it before and will repeat it here. I believe that after pulling Floyd, the guy he named starter after preseason competition, after one half last year that he is sticking to White out of principle.  Changing QBs after one game would be admitting that he screwed this up again so is determined to stick with White as long as he can. 

Or he's sticking with White because he still believes he gives him the best chance to win .. Still can't overlook Bench's 4th quarter against Md where he pretty much crapped away any chance to at least send the game to OT. Looking at the tapes, maybe they feel MW's decision making is still better than SB's and he's giving him every chance to bring the physical part up to it ... Either way, I don't think it's got anything to do with the Floyd situation.

I do love how you bring up Bench's 4th quarter and how "bad" you believe he did.  But you don't mention how White has been just as bad or worse for a longer stretch.  Bench performed better in the first three quarters than White has in any quarter this year.

Please don't tell me you're even trying to attempt to defend Bench's play in those last two drives. Looking at the stats for this year just doesn't back up your contention about Bench being that much better on the field ... and as far as the Bench/White 3qtrs/1qtr comparison:

Bench   13-29  157 yds  5.4/att     1 Td (running)  0 Int

White     3-5       82 yds  16.4/att    0 td    0 Int

Yeah, let's not take into consideration the opponents during that time.

Nice of you to continuously compare apples to tangerines.

Bench has gotten one game this year against the most difficult defense we've faced and without having the opportunity to take first team snaps and he moved the chains better than White did against an FBS school and a school that gave up a bunch of yards to Old Dominion.

To pretend they have had equal opportunity it ludicrous.  Have you been offered a spot on Taggart's staff?

• Topic Count:  410
  • Content Count:  19,525
  • Days Won:  24

But I am ok with giving Wilson a shot.

Insanity is doing the same thing over and over and expecting a different result. 

• Topic Count:  35
  • Content Count:  6,574
  • Days Won:  2

Insanity is doing the same thing over and over and expecting a different result. 

Insanity- Starting Mike White