• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  86
  • Content Count:  17,061
  • Days Won:  19

Playing Time is the reason why Hawkins is transferring

FLINT -- Coaching changes, lack of playing time and the need for more family support all played a role in college swingman JaVontae Hawkins wanting to leave the University of South Florida.

"It was a good experience, but I think I could've played a lot better if I played more," Hawkins said. "The lack of playing time the last two years discouraged me at one point and at one point I wanted to leave my freshman year, but I stuck it out. I was a little discouraged this year, too, but I just take it as motivation to work harder to get where I want to be these next three years."

"I think I got better but I just couldn't display my game as much as I wanted to these first couple of years but with me headed into the right direction I get to display my game with these next two years of my eligibility," Hawkins said.

http://www.mlive.com/sports/flint/index.ssf/2014/04/flints_javontae_hawkins_says_g.html#incart_river_default

And he had the opportunity to show the new coach how good he was and earn more PT. Instead he bolts.

• Topic Count:  571
  • Content Count:  2,816
  • Days Won:  15

With that incident a few months back about Egbunu's documents, I thought he was going to be gone. I was thinking, "this is probably his last game as a Bull," during that whole time. But I'm glad it worked out for him.

Too bad he's gone.

Bulls for life don't leave USF via transfer.

All of these guys bailing, it's all about immaturity. The staff just got started. How bad can it be? I mean everybody knows not to slap a player since Leavitt... One word for all these guys: SOFT.

This is why they got beat so much last year.

When a head coach comes right in from working with the runner-up to the National Championship, I'm sure there's some good stuff that he's bringing.

Stan ran a vacation home for immature boys.

Who else wants to leave? I-75 will take you North and South. See ya!

• Topic Count:  246
  • Content Count:  6,348
  • Days Won:  8

Maybe the kids are getting the culture shock of a hard nosed New York attitude.

• Topic Count:  66
  • Content Count:  488
  • Days Won:  0

For me, this is not just the usual fallout from a coaching change. This is another symptom in a continuing pattern of failures by the athletic department. You can blame Stan Heath, you can blame the kids, but the reality is the program is going back to square one AGAIN and, for me, under a coach that I have no confidence that he can get it done. I'm not saying he won't, I'm saying there's nothing that gives me confidence that better days are ahead. If you see it, you're just holding on to wishful thinking, because there is no track record to show it. The exact same thing goes for football. Being an assistant to John Calipari and Jim Harbaugh doesn't make you John Calipari and Jim Harbaugh. And you'll never see me bragging about recruiting class rankings. The only thing that matters is on-field performance. I don't want to argue with fellow Bulls. That's not my aim. I'm just a guy who - in the past - has been as close to the program as you can get. It's painful to see what's happening and I can't pour my heart and soul into it anymore. I did that for years. Again, Brad will vouch.

I appreciate your take...but you haven't seen any results because a change has JUST BEEN MADE.  There is no track record, because the change just started.  Logic tells us that we won't know the outcoume until it happens.  So, lets wait and actually see the results...good or bad.  Hopefully, good.

I am trying to not have the "drive-thru" thinking, like many here are having.  We can't always have instant gratification.  As much as we like to have in our lovely society.

Edited by Supersurch

• Topic Count:  653
  • Content Count:  31,049
  • Days Won:  172

Playing Time is the reason why Hawkins is transferring

FLINT -- Coaching changes, lack of playing time and the need for more family support all played a role in college swingman JaVontae Hawkins wanting to leave the University of South Florida.

"It was a good experience, but I think I could've played a lot better if I played more," Hawkins said. "The lack of playing time the last two years discouraged me at one point and at one point I wanted to leave my freshman year, but I stuck it out. I was a little discouraged this year, too, but I just take it as motivation to work harder to get where I want to be these next three years."

"I think I got better but I just couldn't display my game as much as I wanted to these first couple of years but with me headed into the right direction I get to display my game with these next two years of my eligibility," Hawkins said.

http://www.mlive.com/sports/flint/index.ssf/2014/04/flints_javontae_hawkins_says_g.html#incart_river_default

I call BS

If it was REALLY about playing time, he'd realize that with a brand-new coach, he also has a brand-new opportunity. The fact that he's bailing speaks volumes about his lack of discipline and desire.

What he REALLY wants is to go somewhere that he can beat up on lesser opponents and not have to practice to do so.

If he ends  up at a MORE competitive school, I'll eat my hat.

Edited by charsibb

I am going no where. Staying until I take my last breath. This is my university.

Amen, brother.  I was telling my wife last season..."Man, we're so horrible".  She said, "Why do you torture yourself like this??".  I looked at her completely bewildered..."It's my school.  I can't stop loving it just because we're struggling".

I'm wit stoopid here.

It's my school.

Full stop.

• Downvote 1

One step closer to the end of the ******* effect.

I give up ...

Me too.

WTF Brad? Give us a hint.

• Topic Count:  83
  • Content Count:  1,720
  • Days Won:  3

Good riddance to all these players that want to leave. Hopefully Coach Antigua can steer the ship away from this island of misfit toys and find USF some basketball players.

Guest PCBull14

What a train wreck. USF athletics is a complete embarrassment. I've been a diehard, bleed green & golder since 1984 - NEVER been called fair-weather - but that's officially it for me. I'll check back in around 2018 and see if anything has improved with football, men's basketball and baseball. Anthony Collins will be next and the 2014-15 Bulls won't be competitive with Hillsborough Community College.

Please do us all a favor and go root for another team.

People like this piss me off to no end. You have a school that is committed to fixing the issues with the major sports (Prado is next to get canned), and all people can do is complain. You asked for change and now you got it. The guy running the show now knows what it takes to win. I mean UCLA only has like 100 national championships to our 1...Keep up the good work Mark. Some people will never get it, if USF is your team you should root for them. "Never been fair weather" make sure you never use that statement again.