• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

How far we've fallen...

• Group:  TBP Subscriber III
  • Topic Count:  583
  • Content Count:  22,721
  • Days Won:  109

Late to the party on this thread. For the conspiracy theorists re: Leavitt?  Why was there a conspiracy? Do you think it had something to do with the 31-0 loss to Rutgers that had big donors heading to the bus in the 3rd quarter because they were tired of watching that horror show? There were some very ticked off people that evening.  Who coached that debacle?  So if you believe that there was a conspiracy to get rid of Leavitt, in essence he was fired for lack of performance, just like Skip.  Skip didn't work out, but there must have been people unhappy with Leavitt's performance for him to be the subject of a conspiracy ouster.

Personally, I'm still on the fence.  A good friend who is an attorney involved with that told me it was for the situation, not his performance. Brad seems to have strong evidence (which I haven't seen but have no reason to doubt) that is was a conspiracy which must have been performance related.  Unless there is another reason out there of which I am not aware.

As for Skip, I always saw him as a CEO type as opposed to being hands on. His failure was in not surrounding himself with quality coordinators and coaches (especially on the defensive side of the ball).  Our offense wasn't horrible at all.

As for CWT, horrible start with McNeese, showed improvement in week 2.  I say give him 4 years (which I thought Skip, or any other college coach, should get) to grab the Bull(s) by the horns.

None of our coaches have been able to establish depth. I believe that is a matter of the conference we are/were in and the newness (yes it is still relatively new) of the program rather than the failure of any of the coaches.  You can grab a few supposedly elite players but can't get enough of them to establish the depth of a UF or FSU. 

So although we've "fallen" I don't think we are that far from getting back to where we were.  That said, I don't think we'll see a National Championship here in my lifetime (hopefully another 30 years or so).  And that fact doesn't bother.  Love the Bulls win or lose.

Edited by CousinRicky
  • Upvote 1

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  86
  • Content Count:  17,061
  • Days Won:  19

Holtz created a hole at the QB position and now that hole is playing in the NFL.

I thought he was at UCLA.

People forget Woulard was likely coming here if Holtz stayed.

Easier to just blame everything on one person. Didn't see one comment about how LATech won its cupcake game. How can that be? He's such a bad coach. What's going to be interesting is that the cupcake that LATech played, that won its first game of the season 75-0, plays McNeese last game of the season. Wonder which cupcake wins? What if LATech's cupcake beats McNeese? What does that mean? Probably nothing, but kinda interesting none the less.

it means he took over a program that went 8-4 last year with 2 OT losses, another 1 point loss and a 2 point loss. they alos beat ole miss and lost to mighty TCU by 7. their coach was hired away to a better program because he was successful. Unfortunately our coach took over a 3-9 team that had losses to ball state and temple with an NFL QB who is now gone. BTW beating lamar by 7 isn't exactly impressive.

Dude, the entire coaching staff is gone and they returned only 7 starters (3 off/4 def) and lost 31 lettermen. That's the fewest returning starters and the most lettermen lost in CUSA.

That team from last year is gone. So it means basically he built what he fielded from scratch.The difference in talent between LATech and USF is vast and wide, USF has returning:

WR Andre Davis; RB Marcus Shaw; and OLs Quinterrius Eatmon, Austin Reiter and Darrell Williams

DLs Ryne Giddons, Aaron Lynch, Tevin Mims and Luke Sager; LBs Reshard Cliet and DeDe Lattimore; and SS JaQuez Jenkins and Mark Joyce.

I find it odd that you argue leavitt left Holtz no talent and then go on to list players that are a majority of leavitt's recruits to argue that skip left Taggart talent.

WOW!!!!!!!!!!! Killa

• Group:  Bull Backers
  • Topic Count:  194
  • Content Count:  6,785
  • Days Won:  3

None of our coaches have been able to establish depth. I believe that is a matter of the conference we are/were in and the newness (yes it is still relatively new) of the program rather than the failure of any of the coaches.  You can grab a few supposedly elite players but can't get enough of them to establish the depth of a UF or FSU

So although we've "fallen" I don't think we are that far from getting back to where we were.  That said, I don't think we'll see a National Championship here in my lifetime (hopefully another 30 years or so).  And that fact doesn't bother.  Love the Bulls win or lose.

Sounds like a well reasoned approach. A lack of depth shows up later in the season when your starters are battling a multitude of injuries. I think the dropoff between starters and second-team is pretty substantial at USF. That's not to say our starters are laden with an abundance of talent across the board, but it is food for thought in the event they have to sit out. 

What if there is a finite amount of quality football talent to be split among the Florida schools? We're looking at what, is it half a dozen, schools fielding IA teams? It has always been my contention that players/kids are going to go where they think is the best fit for them (some like the big-fish-small-pond approach while others don't mind ridin' the pine at [insert big time program here]). Playing in the conference we play(ed) in, coupled with being young (under 20 years old) and our recent record is going to make pitching USF all that much more difficult. We have indeed had success at getting a few stellar players (generally defensive) but again, they just underscore the difference in overall talent on the team.

I agree that even if USF doesn't contend for a NC (I know, I know...CWT says otherwise - but he is a coach) that it's not the end of the USF football world.  

• Topic Count:  22
  • Content Count:  280
  • Days Won:  1

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kAi0TznVzgE

This isn't UF, this isn't FSU, this isn't UM

They've got through their ups and downs, and so will we 

You guys that are staying positive and continuing to support your fellow student athletes - good on you for understanding what collegiete athletics are all about

Those who can't stop crying in their beer because we're not ranked #1 in the country - go transfer to another school, and then when they struggle, transfer to another school

Why don't you go visit  - http://gousfbulls.com/

And see the other USF athletics programs that are doing well, and the other athletes that are competing and doing well. They are busting their ass just as much as the football program is, why don't you go support them?

I really hope some of you fair weather fans are just as vocal when the team is doing good, as you are when the team is struggling. Just go to WalMart, buy a TShirt from another college with a successful football program and pretend you got your degree from there.

I back this program through thick and thin, because I was at USF in 1996 when we didn't have a football program, and our bookstore was back behind the post office where parking services is at now. 

This is part of college athletics, one year your program is amazing, the next it's not. Find a way to deal with it

• Upvote 1

• Topic Count:  132
  • Content Count:  10,380
  • Days Won:  18

We've always been confused with UCF on a national level, no matter how many historic teams we've beaten out of conference. I don't think we've really fallen all that far, except for in the eyes of our very fickle fan base. Call me a homer, but I think CWT puts this bus back in the right direction.

• Topic Count:  121
  • Content Count:  4,259
  • Days Won:  3

You guys that are staying positive and continuing to support your fellow student athletes - good on you for understanding what collegiete athletics are all about

Those who can't stop crying in their beer because we're not ranked #1 in the country - go transfer to another school, and then when they struggle, transfer to another school

And see the other USF athletics programs that are doing well, and the other athletes that are competing and doing well. They are busting their ass just as much as the football program is, why don't you go support them?

I really hope some of you fair weather fans are just as vocal when the team is doing good, as you are when the team is struggling. Just go to WalMart, buy a TShirt from another college with a successful football program and pretend you got your degree from there.

I back this program through thick and thin, because I was at USF in 1996 when we didn't have a football program, and our bookstore was back behind the post office where parking services is at now. 

This is part of college athletics, one year your program is amazing, the next it's not. Find a way to deal with it

I tire of your continued "fair weather fans" protests where you put yourself out as the end-all-beat-all collegiate sports superfan of USF athletics in particular.  We get it, you're happy to celebrate mediocrity and worse for your alma mater (if USF is truly your alma mater).   Sorry, but most on here won't celebrate with you, I certainly hope that you can find a way to deal with that reality.

• Group:  Moderator
  • Topic Count:  1,615
  • Content Count:  74,732
  • Days Won:  425

Mike, you may want to change the fan identifier you're using. Fair weather fans have been gone for quite awhile ...

• Topic Count:  417
  • Content Count:  9,688
  • Days Won:  8

Rank 2 to rank 100+ is pretty far.

• Topic Count:  0
  • Content Count:  93
  • Days Won:  0

It sure does. He failed miserably.

11 one score losses in 3 seasons. I'd say his DCs failed him miserably.

....Or was it his game plan and coaching ?

• Topic Count:  9,898
  • Content Count:  66,091
  • Days Won:  172

we never built on our success of being ranked #2

we never had great recruters or great coaches

we are were we belong

i didnt like cOACH T'S SOUR PUSS

I BLAME AD AND PRESIDENT FOR NOT BINGING IN A PROVEN  WINNER FATER LEAVITT