• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

How far we've fallen...

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  22
  • Content Count:  8,722
  • Days Won:  23

he was leavitt's recruit.

all this proves is that leavitt left skip talent. I believe you are arguing the opposite. saying skip had anything to do with shaw , other than not using him enough, is disingenuous.

• Topic Count:  197
  • Content Count:  10,251
  • Days Won:  14

How about this.

Skip sucked. Willie has had an awful start.

Both have challenges ahead of them.

The end.

We should build an OCS.

Any OCS will lack a pirate ship and luxury suites that none of us use. Never.

• Topic Count:  555
  • Content Count:  14,415
  • Days Won:  13

I am trying to figure out why everyone acts like he lost every game at USF by 50 points and left a roster of 1 star players.

7-5, 5-7, 3-9 ... the trend explains it all.

I got that, but did you dig deeper and get that a full half of those losses were by 1 score and more than 1 were on the last play?. I believe with the right DC, he'd still be here. And that an older, more established football program he'd probably have another season to try and turn it around. Why? because they understand the ups and downs of programs and that no coach is going to 'destroy' a program. 100 years of UConn football, he took them to the 1aa championships for the FIRST TIME. It wasn't year 1, or 3 or 4, it was year 5. Two of those were 4 win seasons.

He wouldn't have lost some of those games if he knew how to use time outs or manage the clock effectively! It wasn't just his staff. Multiple games his clock management was atrocious. So bad in fact even the announcers were scratching their head pointing out his mistakes and mismanagement of timeouts. The Floyd vs FSU debacle. He looked like a complete amateur and the results speak for themselves. Okay we have the talent to win all of those close games but we need a coach that can actually manage the clock and put together a staff that will actually win, not almost win.
One could use the phrases "complete amateur" and "the results speak for the themselves" for a coach with the single worst loss in FCS v. FBS history on his resume.
The fact is that is a one game sample of Taggart at USF but for Holtz we have 3 complete seasons on which to base such a statement. If Taggart's team continues to look like it did in game 1, then that may become an accurate assment of Taggart's USF legacy as well.

3 whole seasons of losing? Wait, that's not right. 1 1/2 seasons of losing. BTW, 2 of his first 3 seasons at UConn were 4 win seasons. But they didn't fire him and got to the 1AA playoffs for the first time ever. So 1 and a half seasons doesn't stand as much of a sample to base a statement either.

How about this.

The end.

Notre Dame and Clemson would disagree along with Sterling Griffin with your first statement.

Holtz created a hole at the QB position and now that hole is playing in the NFL.

I thought he was at UCLA.

People forget Woulard was likely coming here if Holtz stayed.

Easier to just blame everything on one person. Didn't see one comment about how LATech won its cupcake game. How can that be? He's such a bad coach. What's going to be interesting is that the cupcake that LATech played, that won its first game of the season 75-0, plays McNeese last game of the season. Wonder which cupcake wins? What if LATech's cupcake beats McNeese? What does that mean? Probably nothing, but kinda interesting none the less.

it means he took over a program that went 8-4 last year with 2 OT losses, another 1 point loss and a 2 point loss. they alos beat ole miss and lost to mighty TCU by 7. their coach was hired away to a better program because he was successful. Unfortunately our coach took over a 3-9 team that had losses to ball state and temple with an NFL QB who is now gone. BTW beating lamar by 7 isn't exactly impressive.

Dude, the entire coaching staff is gone and they returned only 7 starters (3 off/4 def) and lost 31 lettermen. That's the fewest returning starters and the most lettermen lost in CUSA.

That team from last year is gone. So it means basically he built what he fielded from scratch.The difference in talent between LATech and USF is vast and wide, USF has returning:

WR Andre Davis; RB Marcus Shaw; and OLs Quinterrius Eatmon, Austin Reiter and Darrell Williams

DLs Ryne Giddons, Aaron Lynch, Tevin Mims and Luke Sager; LBs Reshard Cliet and DeDe Lattimore; and SS JaQuez Jenkins and Mark Joyce.

I find it odd that you argue leavitt left Holtz no talent and then go on to list players that are a majority of leavitt's recruits to argue that skip left Taggart talent.

How about this.

The end.

Notre Dame and Clemson would disagree along with Sterling Griffin with your first statement.

I don't think Skip is a bad coach, I think he made some mistakes and took a lot of chances that sunk him at USF. It was going to take a lot for him to right the ship, he needed to go. I believe he'll succeed at LT. He succeeded at UCOnn and ECU.

How about this.

The end.

I don't think Skip is a bad coach, I think he made some mistakes and took a lot of chances that sunk him at USF. It was going to take a lot for him to right the ship, he needed to go. I believe he'll succeed at LT. He succeeded at UCOnn and ECU.

skip has never had a season with less than 5 losses.

he was demoted on his own dad's staff.

the guy cares more about his golf game than he does recruiting. La Tech is his last stop before joining the broadcast booth.

• Upvote 2

• Topic Count:  1,586
  • Content Count:  23,185
  • Days Won:  65

Gotta love these threads.  How many do we have with the same theme? 10? 20?  Really, it's way past time to move on from both CJL and CSH.  It's game week and I'm looking forward to watching my Bulls show improvement on Saturday.

• Upvote 1

How about this.

The end.

skip has never had a season with less than 5 losses.

he was demoted on his own dad's staff.

the guy cares more about his golf game than he does recruiting. La Tech is his last stop before joining the broadcast booth.

Okay.

Holtz created a hole at the QB position and now that hole is playing in the NFL.

I thought he was at UCLA.

People forget Woulard was likely coming here if Holtz stayed.

Easier to just blame everything on one person. Didn't see one comment about how LATech won its cupcake game. How can that be? He's such a bad coach. What's going to be interesting is that the cupcake that LATech played, that won its first game of the season 75-0, plays McNeese last game of the season. Wonder which cupcake wins? What if LATech's cupcake beats McNeese? What does that mean? Probably nothing, but kinda interesting none the less.

it means he took over a program that went 8-4 last year with 2 OT losses, another 1 point loss and a 2 point loss. they alos beat ole miss and lost to mighty TCU by 7. their coach was hired away to a better program because he was successful. Unfortunately our coach took over a 3-9 team that had losses to ball state and temple with an NFL QB who is now gone. BTW beating lamar by 7 isn't exactly impressive.

Dude, the entire coaching staff is gone and they returned only 7 starters (3 off/4 def) and lost 31 lettermen. That's the fewest returning starters and the most lettermen lost in CUSA.

That team from last year is gone. So it means basically he built what he fielded from scratch.The difference in talent between LATech and USF is vast and wide, USF has returning:

WR Andre Davis; RB Marcus Shaw; and OLs Quinterrius Eatmon, Austin Reiter and Darrell Williams

DLs Ryne Giddons, Aaron Lynch, Tevin Mims and Luke Sager; LBs Reshard Cliet and DeDe Lattimore; and SS JaQuez Jenkins and Mark Joyce.

I find it odd that you argue leavitt left Holtz no talent and then go on to list players that are a majority of leavitt's recruits to argue that skip left Taggart talent.

Well I on the other hand am not surprised that you mistook what I said. I didn't say Leavitt left Holtz no talent. I quoted what he said. There were some areas of the team that shocked him about the lack of depth/talent. Some. Not all.  I think you've identified a major characteristic of the fan base. Its one extreme or the other, never anything inbetween.

Edited by slick1ru2
  • Downvote 1