• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

How far we've fallen...

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  553
  • Content Count:  14,405
  • Days Won:  13

It sure does. He failed miserably.

11 one score losses in 3 seasons. I'd say his DCs failed him miserably.

• Topic Count:  246
  • Content Count:  6,348
  • Days Won:  8

I do remember the quote from Holtz.

Holtz is not a bad coach. I think was a little out of his league when he got to the BCS level.

Leavitt had built his offense to be a spread option offense. He recruited his athletes for that system. I am convinced that Holtz never understood the level of athletic ability that he had to work with and was almost afraid to let them loose and do their thing.

Remember that Holtz wouldn't let BJ run his soph year. Then he tried to make him a pocket passer.

I also find it kind of strange tha in his Freshman year, Lamar was one of best return guys in the country. I think the BE special teams guy of the year. Then after Holtz got here he did nothing. Then, in his rookie year in the CFL he turns into one of the most dynamic return guys in the CFL. Holtz also kept bouncing him around from position to position and when he finally let him back at his natural position he excelled.

Same can be said about Lattimore. Freshman All American then makes almost no noise for 2 years and now is all over the place again.

Then there was the total mismanagement of TREX's career.

It is impossible to know, but I think it is a completely different deal if Leavitt was here in 2010. I don't think that Mitchell goes to the NFL early. I don't know the circumstances, but maybe Jamar Taylor comes back for his senior year We are looking to add 850 more pieces to the order.

White/Tan leather- 320

Black/Black- 170

Black/Tan Leather- 135

Black/Black Leather- 130

White/Silver-50

White/ Black Leather- 45

instead of leaving school. Wasn't there some issue with Holtz screwing up the recruitment of QB from Manatee that ended up going to Nebraska?

It is all speculation, but that's what discussion boards are for.

• Topic Count:  86
  • Content Count:  17,061
  • Days Won:  19

We will always suck, until we don't.

You learn so well. My 1st graduate. I'm so proud

• Topic Count:  85
  • Content Count:  3,804
  • Days Won:  0

I really believe that this downturn doesn't happen under Leavitt's watch... You guys make very rational points, though.

You can believe what you want but the fact is that Leavitt never competed for the Big East title. If the last 3 years USF came in no better than 3rd in the Big East, this fanbase would be in an uproar and want him gone. If you recall when Holtz arrived, USF had issues with no talent at key positions. like WR. Holtz said he was surprised at the lack of talent at key positions so its not just Holtz that had holes in the team.

Never heard of Holtz saying that, but from what I remember; Bogan, Love, and Griffin were very solid (injuries aside)

He did say it. Can't find it, but can find an Oracle article that alludes to it.

http://www.usforacle.com/mobile/holtz-s-new-look-bulls-turn-to-youth-1.2317708

In the opener, coach Skip Holtz said many will play, as the competition at several positions is close. The team is mired in youth and a lack of depth at certain positions, meaning some unfamiliar names will get a chance to prove themselves this weekend.

Quoting Skip Holtz re: football talent would be akin to quoting me re: quantum physics.

Yeah, don't quote Holtz (89/72 w/l), coaching for years, number of college conference and division championships, took UConn to its first 1AA playoff game in 100 years of football and won it, coached with his father who won the last NC at Notre Dame, instead take the word of TBP members on the current level of talent on the team. Makes total sense.

Loved Holtz as a person but for USF football for some reason he did not know how to coach Florida talent.

• Topic Count:  743
  • Content Count:  13,357
  • Days Won:  63

Meh; I think we are finally getting a dose of reality. Name a program, that has had sustained success, that did not go through this

• Topic Count:  553
  • Content Count:  14,405
  • Days Won:  13

Meh; I think we are finally getting a dose of reality. Name a program, that has had sustained success, that did not go through this

Been saying this all along. Its growing pains.

As for Holtz, I think he delegated too much to the DCs. But being the HC, it was ultimately on him to get on that defense and stop them from doing what they said they did week 1 this year, free lance and not follow the playbook. I imagine he's learned not to trust his coordinators as much.

• Topic Count:  22
  • Content Count:  8,722
  • Days Won:  23

Holtz created a hole at the QB position and now that hole is playing in the NFL.

I thought he was at UCLA.

People forget Woulard was likely coming here if Holtz stayed.

Easier to just blame everything on one person. Didn't see one comment about how LATech won its cupcake game. How can that be? He's such a bad coach. What's going to be interesting is that the cupcake that LATech played, that won its first game of the season 75-0, plays McNeese last game of the season. Wonder which cupcake wins? What if LATech's cupcake beats McNeese? What does that mean? Probably nothing, but kinda interesting none the less.

it means he took over a program that went 8-4 last year with 2 OT losses, another 1 point loss and a 2 point loss. they alos beat ole miss and lost to mighty TCU by 7. their coach was hired away to a better program because he was successful. Unfortunately our coach took over a 3-9 team that had losses to ball state and temple with an NFL QB who is now gone. BTW beating lamar by 7 isn't exactly impressive.

Edited by Bull94

I really believe that this downturn doesn't happen under Leavitt's watch... You guys make very rational points, though.

You can believe what you want but the fact is that Leavitt never competed for the Big East title. If the last 3 years USF came in no better than 3rd in the Big East, this fanbase would be in an uproar and want him gone. If you recall when Holtz arrived, USF had issues with no talent at key positions. like WR. Holtz said he was surprised at the lack of talent at key positions so its not just Holtz that had holes in the team.

Never heard of Holtz saying that, but from what I remember; Bogan, Love, and Griffin were very solid (injuries aside)

He did say it. Can't find it, but can find an Oracle article that alludes to it.

http://www.usforacle.com/mobile/holtz-s-new-look-bulls-turn-to-youth-1.2317708

In the opener, coach Skip Holtz said many will play, as the competition at several positions is close. The team is mired in youth and a lack of depth at certain positions, meaning some unfamiliar names will get a chance to prove themselves this weekend.

Quoting Skip Holtz re: football talent would be akin to quoting me re: quantum physics.

Yeah, don't quote Holtz (89/72 w/l), coaching for years, number of college conference and division championships, took UConn to its first 1AA playoff game in 100 years of football and won it, coached with his father who won the last NC at Notre Dame, instead take the word of TBP members on the current level of talent on the team. Makes total sense.

wasn't he OC for his dad at south carolina and didn't he have to be fired or maybe he was just demoted.

It sure does. He failed miserably.

11 one score losses in 3 seasons. I'd say his DCs failed him miserably.

nope none of those losses had to do with him kicking a FG with 20 seconds left in the first half and 2 timeouts from the 2 yard line against a dangerous cincy team and then losing by 3 or running up the gut 3 times to line up a 48 yard field goal with almost 2 minutes on the clock and letting temple have enough time to drive the length of the field to kick a game winning field goal when a first down ices the game. BTW same stupid mistake shiano made this week. go for the first down and then kick the FG with 1 second left. don't give the team even a remote chance to win.

Holtz created a hole at the QB position and now that hole is playing in the NFL.

I thought he was at UCLA.

People forget Woulard was likely coming here if Holtz stayed.

woulard was always fishing for a better offer. not like a QB with a 53% completion percentage and a 2 to 1 TD to int ratio was going to come in and save the day anyway.