• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

• Group:  Moderator
  • Topic Count:  1,613
  • Content Count:  74,618
  • Days Won:  424

We'll have more on the offense -- i think it's more a familiarity with the complexity of an NFL-style offense -- absolutely different terminology, some differences in philosophy.

If he could get the Penn State offense, he can get ours. Penn State was running what the Patriots do, and that is one complicated offense.

It's debatable that he didn't "get" the Penn State offense at all. He did after all lose the QB competition. And his spring tape, which has only completions on it as it was put together by Steve Bench himself, shows him late on a lot of throws and just generally slow to read the field and make the right decision.

The Patriots' offense isn't that difficult to "get" from a terminology standpoint. Kids tend to learn and remember one-word concepts more easily anyway. That's why you see guys like Guz Malzahn being wildly successful taking some of the conceptualization techniques in the Perkins-Erhardt system to its extreme end. From that standpoint, it's not hard to learn the playbook. But it is tough to execute that offense consistently. That's going beyond remembering the plays, and getting to the information processing part of it. I don't know that I would say he was really coming far along with that at Penn State. No more than Brandon Mitchell was with Brett Bielema's offense at Arkansas. They were both losing the QB battle because they weren't getting it.

I think the point Greg is trying to make is that Steven feels he's at an advantage from learning Penn State's system because he was asked to play chess instead of playing checkers, which is what so many college offenses have kids doing. The pure difficulty factor, the complexity of the execution and field reading was there, and the difficulty factor will probably be the same in CWT's offense. However, it should probably be noted that even if he was asked to play chess instead of checkers, he didn't necessarily prove to be good at playing chess...hence his losing the QB battle.

Careful ...

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  152
  • Content Count:  19,395
  • Days Won:  233

Wouldn't the VERY public chasing of multiple QB transfers be just as offensive to Floyd? And spare me the "CWT didn't publicly do anything" spiel. Anyone remotely interested in college football knew we were less than pleased with our current options and looking for an upgrade.

By that wacked logic, CWT should stop recruiting Chase Litton so he doesn't offend Mike White. To quote from a recent post from another board ... Apples and oranges. If you're cool with someone associated with the Athletic Dept making jokes like that about players, that's fine. I'm not ... and bottom line is, no one did.

I'm simply saying that the head coach chasing every available transfer should hurt Floyd's feelings more than a college girl, who once interned at some unknown level in the Athletics Dept. in the past, making a joke about his fumbles. Just because someone once worked for the Jets doesn't mean they can't ever call Sanchez "buttfumble" on their Twitter account.

Edited by JTrue

• Topic Count:  67
  • Content Count:  3,749
  • Days Won:  3

We'll have more on the offense -- i think it's more a familiarity with the complexity of an NFL-style offense -- absolutely different terminology, some differences in philosophy.

If he could get the Penn State offense, he can get ours. Penn State was running what the Patriots do, and that is one complicated offense.

It's debatable that he didn't "get" the Penn State offense at all. He did after all lose the QB competition. And his spring tape, which has only completions on it as it was put together by Steve Bench himself, shows him late on a lot of throws and just generally slow to read the field and make the right decision.

The Patriots' offense isn't that difficult to "get" from a terminology standpoint. Kids tend to learn and remember one-word concepts more easily anyway. That's why you see guys like Guz Malzahn being wildly successful taking some of the conceptualization techniques in the Perkins-Erhardt system to its extreme end. From that standpoint, it's not hard to learn the playbook. But it is tough to execute that offense consistently. That's going beyond remembering the plays, and getting to the information processing part of it. I don't know that I would say he was really coming far along with that at Penn State. No more than Brandon Mitchell was with Brett Bielema's offense at Arkansas. They were both losing the QB battle because they weren't getting it.

I think the point Greg is trying to make is that Steven feels he's at an advantage from learning Penn State's system because he was asked to play chess instead of playing checkers, which is what so many college offenses have kids doing. The pure difficulty factor, the complexity of the execution and field reading was there, and the difficulty factor will probably be the same in CWT's offense. However, it should probably be noted that even if he was asked to play chess instead of checkers, he didn't necessarily prove to be good at playing chess...hence his losing the QB battle.

Negative ghost rider. Everything about the Patriots offense makes it arguably one of if not the toughest in the NFL to learn and understand.

Understanding it and executing it are different. He obviously knew the playbook but didn't execute enough to beat out a top juco and would be left behind by the #1 QB recruit. I will reserve my criticisms of his game until he actually practices for USF. After all he is only a sophomore and has a lot to learn. Not many kids his age are completely polished QB's, hell plenty of NFL QB's aren't and make slow throws and reads still.

Edited by deters-

• Topic Count:  44
  • Content Count:  2,035
  • Days Won:  20

I'm simply saying that the head coach chasing every available transfer should hurt Floyd's feelings more than a college girl, who once interned at some unknown level in the Athletics Dept. in the past, making a joke about his fumbles. Just because someone once worked for the Jets doesn't mean they can't ever call Sanchez "buttfumble" on their Twitter account.

Oh, well. If he can't take hurt feelings then he shouldn't play college football. The things that are said and done to a quarterback on any given Saturday are much worse than some blonde twit making a snide comment on twitter. As far as Coach T pursuing transfers, he's gonna have to learn to live with that. Job one for Taggart is win. If he doesn't have the pieces he needs to win, it's his responsibility to go out and find them, feelings be damned. Coddling and worrying about hurt feelings is for Holtzs. No player is more important than the rest of his team. Floyd is just going to have to do what he came to USF to do: compete. If he can win out against Bench, then he'll play.

Edited by TheUpperHand

• Topic Count:  53
  • Content Count:  1,291
  • Days Won:  0

Cannot wait to see Bench connecting to Price..

• Upvote 1

• Topic Count:  152
  • Content Count:  19,395
  • Days Won:  233

Oh, well. If he can't take hurt feelings then he shouldn't play college football. The things that are said and done to a quarterback on any given Saturday is much worse than some blonde twit making a snide comment on twitter. As far as Coach T pursuing transfers, he's gonna have to learn to live with that. Job one for Taggart is win. If he doesn't have the pieces he needs to win, it's his responsibility to go out and find them, feelings be damned. Coddling and worrying about hurt feelings is for Holtzs. No player is more important than the rest of his team. Floyd is just going to have to do what he came to USF to do: compete. If he can win out against Bench, then he'll play.

Agreed.

• Group:  Moderator
  • Topic Count:  1,613
  • Content Count:  74,618
  • Days Won:  424

Wouldn't the VERY public chasing of multiple QB transfers be just as offensive to Floyd? And spare me the "CWT didn't publicly do anything" spiel. Anyone remotely interested in college football knew we were less than pleased with our current options and looking for an upgrade.

By that wacked logic, CWT should stop recruiting Chase Litton so he doesn't offend Mike White. To quote from a recent post from another board ... Apples and oranges. If you're cool with someone associated with the Athletic Dept making jokes like that about players, that's fine. I'm not ... and bottom line is, no one did.

I'm simply saying that the head coach chasing every available transfer should hurt Floyd's feelings more than a college girl who once interned at some unknown level in the Athletics Dept. in the past making a joke about his fumbles. Just because someone once worked for the Jets doesn't mean they can't ever call Sanchez "buttfumble" on their Twitter account.

Where did I say had a problem with an ex Athletics Dept associate, current fan, making a joke about Floyd's fumbles?

And I'm hoping Matt's feelings aren't hurt at all by bringing in Bench. He's got to understand that you've got to be able to consistently take a clean snap to have any hope of playing at this level. Take those fumbles out of the Spring game and I think he did a pretty nice job ...

• Topic Count:  1,518
  • Content Count:  42,125
  • Days Won:  344

Who cares, he should have learned how to take a snap. This is a business not a charity.

• Topic Count:  13
  • Content Count:  193
  • Days Won:  0

Who cares, he should have learned how to take a snap. This is a business not a charity.

I couldn't agree more NewEnglandBull!!!!

You can't be a succesful QB at ANY level of the sport if you can't take a snap from under center.

He has 3 options IMO:

1) learn how to take a snap from under center

2) ride the pine and enjoy the free education

3) transfer to a school that doesn't require under center snaps (good luck with that tho)

• Topic Count:  144
  • Content Count:  3,616
  • Days Won:  1

I LOL'd at this tweet exchange:

•  
  • Greg Auman â€@gregauman11m

Bench will be immediately eligible at USF as a true sophomore this fall. Actually comes in with less game experience than Eveld or Floyd.

Expand

3f0d68ea5c20adff4c0cba55fc080822_normal.Michelle Marie â€@mholden1110m

@gregauman But on the upside, probably less fumbling experience too

Wow ... I hope she's really not a USF Athletics intern.

Why? Can she not have her own opinions? 

It's one thing for anonymous chumps on a message board to make jokes about our players but I don't think it's something that should be publicly done by someone associated with the the Athletic Department ...

Either way, it was funny.

Yes, it was ...

i interned for USF Athletics previously and was ALWAYS careful of what I said