• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

Realignment USF to...

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  51
  • Content Count:  693
  • Days Won:  0

FSU >>>>> USF nationally on a night Game against OU on ABC - (Tier 1) this is what it is about

Tampa>>>> Tallahassee on a Sat afternoon when USF plays Kansas (Tier3 or 2 depending on records)

The expansion is about the first and not the second, but if ESPN is willing to pay Big12 $$ for USF (that is perceived equal to what FSU is valued at) to cut out NBC is what this talk is about.

Exactly. Although I think it's extremely unlikely that they could get anything done in 60 days of this sort, who knows? ESPN has been bashing the BE for months and it's gotten much worse as these negotiations get closer. It'll be interesting to see how everything plays out. Although I think we end up signing with NBC unless CBS comes out of nowhere with an offer and the new commish's ties to them.

• Topic Count:  8
  • Content Count:  436

FSU >>>>> USF nationally on a night Game against OU on ABC - (Tier 1) this is what it is about

Tampa>>>> Tallahassee on a Sat afternoon when USF plays Kansas (Tier3 or 2 depending on records)

The expansion is about the first and not the second, but if ESPN is willing to pay Big12 $$ for USF (that is perceived equal to what FSU is valued at) to cut out NBC is what this talk is about.

I am willing to admit FSU is financially worth much more in football than USF. But, with the right pro-active moves, the long-term picture can change.

I also think a presence in Florida could entail leverage in someday getting a bid in the Outback Bowl. I know we don't have the influence by ourselves, but just a presence could provide a convenient excuse-like a struggling Memphis bringing the Liberty Bowl.

• Topic Count:  7
  • Content Count:  820

I am willing to admit FSU is financially worth much more in football than USF. But, with the right pro-active moves, the long-term picture can change.

I also think a presence in Florida could entail leverage in someday getting a bid in the Outback Bowl. I know we don't have the influence by ourselves, but just a presence could provide a convenient excuse-like a struggling Memphis bringing the Liberty Bowl.

I agree with pro-activity USF will grow that is why if this rumor is true and ESPN is trying for Big 12 to take UL and the choice between USF or Cincy is why everyone is leading to USF. Growth not just in Florida but the fact USF can grow. Cincy does not have financial backing and room to grow.

Getting an Outback bowl aint the goal, getting a new bowl where SEC/Big 12 controls is goal, including possibly getting multiple of those games. The bowl system is going to be changing in the next five years, IMO.

Edited by jvwvu

• Topic Count:  43
  • Content Count:  3,899
  • Days Won:  8

There are a couple things out there that make me think this isn't all that far fetched:

1) We were rumored to be in the mix back when all the major realignment talk was going on and it was rumored the Bix XII was trying to get back to 12 teams for a conference championship game.

2) NBC is likely in line to give the Big East big money for tv rights and we all know ESPN doesn't want that, especially with NBC in the last year making more of an effort to get in on the "all sports, all the time" game. Couple that with them being upset with the Big East for turning down their offer last year and it makes for bitter ESPN trying to kill the Big East before it can happen.

With all that said, I won't be putting any eggs in this basket until it comes from a reliable source and is more than just message board fodder.

• Topic Count:  410
  • Content Count:  19,525
  • Days Won:  24

I really think this is BS. But it's funny to see how clueless WVU fan is. Why would you want USF? Why wouldn't you want one of the biggest TV markets in the US?

Then again, I need to remember that was a WVU board. ;)

(Cue our requisite appearance from jvwvu to explain to us what is reall going to happen)

Other thread and my choices for Big 12 expansion is 1 FSU, 2 Maryland, 3 USF, 4 UL (but if not FSU, USF becomes 1 to get a presence in Florida)

This has to do with TV money and ESPN, as stated in other thread.

Our football program may not be as developed, and we are probably less popular. But, long-term, Tampa provides a better media market for exposure, than Tallahassee.

Market, yes. Eyeballs and actual viewers ... no. (don't get me wrong, I'd love to be called up to the big leagues, but I just don't see it right here, unless there really is an ESPN conspiracy afoot.)

You don't think USF at Texas would get huge numbers in Tampa Bay?

• Topic Count:  263
  • Content Count:  24,750
  • Days Won:  87

I really think this is BS. But it's funny to see how clueless WVU fan is. Why would you want USF? Why wouldn't you want one of the biggest TV markets in the US?

(Cue our requisite appearance from jvwvu to explain to us what is reall going to happen)

Other thread and my choices for Big 12 expansion is 1 FSU, 2 Maryland, 3 USF, 4 UL (but if not FSU, USF becomes 1 to get a presence in Florida)

Our football program may not be as developed, and we are probably less popular. But, long-term, Tampa provides a better media market for exposure, than Tallahassee.

Market, yes. Eyeballs and actual viewers ... no. (don't get me wrong, I'd love to be called up to the big leagues, but I just don't see it right here, unless there really is an ESPN conspiracy afoot.)

You don't think USF at Texas would get huge numbers in Tampa Bay?

Will get more statewide and nationwide if it's FSU at Texas.

• Topic Count:  417
  • Content Count:  9,687
  • Days Won:  8

If true, ESPN once again trying to devalue Big East in case they don't get the contract.

• Topic Count:  576
  • Content Count:  8,174
  • Days Won:  6

USF wont make the b12 deal budge...

Eyeballs count markets dont

if you have a great market and nobody watched... your ratings are poor and the value of spots are low.

if you have a small market... but the entire country watches... thats a plus

big market big ratings = BIG money....

___

markets count when you want to add a cable net and get cable sub $

to recap:

-USC is worth LOADS of cash... LA market, national audience, great local numbers

-FSU gets excellent ratings but has a bad market... Still big money but can you convince the entire state to add a regional cable chan to their package? If yes you have big time money here too.

-Boise is good for ratings.... bad for deploying a cable net...

-USF gets mediocre to low ratings... but has a great market if you want to add cable subs

-ECU gets mediocre to low ratings.... AND has a bad market... which is why they aren't in the BE.

Edited by cmhatter

• Group:  Moderator
  • Topic Count:  1,615
  • Content Count:  74,643
  • Days Won:  424

That's freaking creepy ... :o

• Topic Count:  410
  • Content Count:  19,525
  • Days Won:  24

Will get more statewide and nationwide if it's FSU at Texas.

For the next few years. But that wasn't the discussion anyway. This was USF in comparison to a team like UConn, or any other team not already in the ACC. What if FSU isn't available, how many better markets than USF still available?