• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

Realignment USF to...

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  410
  • Content Count:  19,525
  • Days Won:  24

I really think this is BS. But it's funny to see how clueless WVU fan is. Why would you want USF? Why wouldn't you want one of the biggest TV markets in the US?

Then again, I need to remember that was a WVU board. ;)

(Cue our requisite appearance from jvwvu to explain to us what is reall going to happen)

Other thread and my choices for Big 12 expansion is 1 FSU, 2 Maryland, 3 USF, 4 UL (but if not FSU, USF becomes 1 to get a presence in Florida)

This has to do with TV money and ESPN, as stated in other thread.

That's freaking creepy ... :o

He has some sort of radar embedded in his brain...

• Topic Count:  7
  • Content Count:  820
  • Days Won:  0

I was already dicussing on other thread, most info and thoughts were there, when databull posted.

• Topic Count:  263
  • Content Count:  24,750
  • Days Won:  87

Will get more statewide and nationwide if it's FSU at Texas.

For the next few years. But that wasn't the discussion anyway. This was USF in comparison to a team like UConn, or any other team not already in the ACC. What if FSU isn't available, how many better markets than USF still available?

I get your point, but I think we disagree on how much of this market we actually capture. I don't think USF captures enough eyeballs in the Tampa Bay market as one might think. I think we have the potential to capture it, but it all hinges on success on the field and if we can keep progressing as a program. cmhatter nailed it when he basically said market is secondary to viewership.

You also have to consider not just the games against Texas, but what about USF at Baylor? USF at Texas Tech? USF at Iowa State? Do you think those will garner viewers like the games against Texas, OU, etc.?

• Topic Count:  410
  • Content Count:  19,525
  • Days Won:  24

Will get more statewide and nationwide if it's FSU at Texas.

For the next few years. But that wasn't the discussion anyway. This was USF in comparison to a team like UConn, or any other team not already in the ACC. What if FSU isn't available, how many better markets than USF still available?

I get your point, but I think we disagree on how much of this market we actually capture. I don't think USF captures enough eyeballs in the Tampa Bay market as one might think. I think we have the potential to capture it, but it all hinges on success on the field and if we can keep progressing as a program. cmhatter nailed it when he basically said market is secondary to viewership.

You also have to consider not just the games against Texas, but what about USF at Baylor? USF at Texas Tech? USF at Iowa State? Do you think those will garner viewers like the games against Texas, OU, etc.?

It doesn't have to be eyeballs that see USF as their primary team. There will be and continue to be more and more eyeballs just because they keep hearing about USF. I'd wager USF has much higher TV ratings in Tampa now than five years ago, and will have many more in five years.

You only need a fraction of the Tampa market to have more eyeballs than a rabid Idaho State market, for example.

• Topic Count:  9
  • Content Count:  149
  • Days Won:  0

I truly believe that because the Fsu/Clemson deal fell though, us and Louisville are the backup plan. Can you imagine us vs Texas yearly and the crowds that RayJay would attract with big 12 opponents. I know we don't want to hope and then get disappointed.....but we are more likely to get the invite then Miami, Ucf, and the other schools in FL not named Gators or Seminoles =)

• Topic Count:  36
  • Content Count:  2,114
  • Days Won:  2

I am not convinced at all this will happen, but would not mind renewing our matchups against West Virginia. Felt this was turning to a big rivalry. I have no expectations at all, but if we can move up to a bigger conferene someday that would be great.

• Topic Count:  64
  • Content Count:  3,222
  • Days Won:  8

I do think the big12 needs a Florida presence and with fsu and MIAMI turning them down we become the next target.

• Topic Count:  36
  • Content Count:  2,114
  • Days Won:  2

I am not sure they need a presence in FL, but it certainly helps. There is a great recruiting base in Texas and some of the teams have done well without the FL presence.

• Topic Count:  22
  • Content Count:  8,722
  • Days Won:  23

USF wont make the b12 deal budge...

Eyeballs count markets dont

if you have a great market and nobody watched... your ratings are poor and the value of spots are low.

if you have a small market... but the entire country watches... thats a plus

big market big ratings = BIG money....

___

markets count when you want to add a cable net and get cable sub $

to recap:

-USC is worth LOADS of cash... LA market, national audience, great local numbers

-FSU gets excellent ratings but has a bad market... Still big money but can you convince the entire state to add a regional cable chan to their package? If yes you have big time money here too.

-Boise is good for ratings.... bad for deploying a cable net...

-USF gets mediocre to low ratings... but has a great market if you want to add cable subs

-ECU gets mediocre to low ratings.... AND has a bad market... which is why they aren't in the BE.

rankings drive ratings. that's why they put ranked teams in the prime time slots.

FSU has been living on their past reputation for awhile now. they get inflated rankings because of it. desmond howard picked them to win national champ last year. they didn't even win their division let alone their conference. oh look who has a top 10 ranking out of the gate again. remember they were ranked #18 when we played them and they finished 7-6.

very few casual football fans care about a particular team. they want to watch ranked teams.

I would hate to be in big 12. I don't want to be the next iowa state. honestly florida state wouldn't be much better off either. they dominated a weak conference in the 90's. if they played legit conference games they would not have been as successful.

• Topic Count:  99
  • Content Count:  10,565
  • Days Won:  7

If true, ESPN once again trying to devalue Big East in case they don't get the contract.

They aren't going to get it.

Why negotiate with the entity that hurt the league?