• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

Should PSU get the Death Penalty?

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  8
  • Content Count:  436
  • Days Won:  0

[quote name='Danm1983'

timestamp='1343152668' post='1035715']

sorry, couldn't help but laugh at those "poor" students who were doing the whambulance dance in their student center. boo ******* hoo, your football/college experience isn't gone. it's just not as good. welcome to being usf or some

other non-elite program for a few years. while the penalties may be worse than the death

penalty, be glad you can still have a football team out there. and if you think they're gonna be

no good, go to a basketball/baseball/soccer/volleyball

(PSU has great v-ball) and keep focus on your studies. football is great, but it isn't supposed to consume your life, and for the regular non-athlete students, you are still getting a great

education from a top tier university with ridiculous tuition rates that many other people

would kill to be able to afford and go to school there.

yeah screw those college students that had

absolutely nothing to do with what happened or the fact it was covered up!!!

hell they were close to 10 years old when it happened at psu. let's punish them severely to teach them a lesson to never let it happen

again!!

There are penalties against the whole team and associated fans during games, and for recruiting

violations. This is really no different.

If it's so necessary those students attend a school with a national championship contender

in football, they can always transfer.

so you wouldn't have a problem if you were a current USF student and something happened

10 years ago that got us a 4 year ban, 40 scholarship losses, $60M fine, allowed players to transfer, etc?

that's what happened to them.

sure just transfer......

As much as I love football, the university's responsibilities to the community and state are more important. Winning games is not worth the sexual abuse of children. As much as I would hate such a penalty, it would be the least of my worries, while USF's administrators were hypothetically covering for-if not aiding and abetting-a pedophile and his disgusting behavior.

you didn't answer the question. what if the ncaa came in and said sammy al arian was a terrorist and USF and it's administration knew it and covered it up. say this all happened 15 years

ago and everyone involved were fired and prosecuted. you would be fine if they gave us the same punishment?

• Topic Count:  22
  • Content Count:  8,722
  • Days Won:  23

[quote name='Danm1983'

sorry, couldn't help but laugh at those "poor" students who were doing the whambulance dance in their student center. boo ******* hoo, your football/college experience isn't gone. it's just not as good. welcome to being usf or some

other non-elite program for a few years. while the penalties may be worse than the death

penalty, be glad you can still have a football team out there. and if you think they're gonna be

(PSU has great v-ball) and keep focus on your studies. football is great, but it isn't supposed to consume your life, and for the regular non-athlete students, you are still getting a great

education from a top tier university with ridiculous tuition rates that many other people

hell they were close to 10 years old when it happened at psu. let's punish them severely to teach them a lesson to never let it happen

again!!

There are penalties against the whole team and associated fans during games, and for recruiting

If it's so necessary those students attend a school with a national championship contender

so you wouldn't have a problem if you were a current USF student and something happened

10 years ago that got us a 4 year ban, 40 scholarship losses, $60M fine, allowed players to transfer, etc?

sure just transfer......

As much as I love football, the university's responsibilities to the community and state are more important. Winning games is not worth the sexual abuse of children. As much as I would hate such a penalty, it would be the least of my worries, while USF's administrators were hypothetically covering for-if not aiding and abetting-a pedophile and his disgusting behavior.

you didn't answer the question. what if the ncaa came in and said sammy al arian was a terrorist and USF and it's administration knew it and covered it up. say this all happened 15 years

ago and everyone involved were fired and prosecuted. you would be fine if they gave us the same punishment?

I did answer your question. I would not waste my time whining about such sanctions, if my USF did what Penn State did. I actually find it tragic so many Penn State fans and supporters are apparently spending more time trying to get their penalties repealed than firing the guilty administrators.

• Group:  Moderator
  • Topic Count:  1,612
  • Content Count:  74,545
  • Days Won:  423

sorry, couldn't help but laugh at those "poor" students who were doing the whambulance dance in their student center. boo ******* hoo, your football/college experience isn't gone. it's just not as good. welcome to being usf or some other non-elite program for a few years. while the penalties may be worse than the death penalty, be glad you can still have a football team out there. and if you think they're gonna be no good, go to a basketball/baseball/soccer/volleyball (PSU has great v-ball) and keep focus on your studies. football is great, but it isn't supposed to consume your life, and for the regular non-athlete students, you are still getting a great education from a top tier university with ridiculous tuition rates that many other people would kill to be able to afford and go to school there.

yeah screw those college students that had absolutely nothing to do with what happened or the fact it was covered up!!!

hell they were close to 10 years old when it happened at psu. let's punish them severely to teach them a lesson to never let it happen again!!

Punished severely?? How the hell are the current students being punished severely? The Death Penalty would have been punished severely. They still get 6 or 7 Saturdays a year they get to experience a home college football game. What they don't get is a chance to go to a bowl game while they're there. That's a severe punishment?? Gimme a break ..

dont-feed-the-troll-1316286463763399354.jpeg

94's not a troll .... just very, very, very opinionated ... to see a troll, look for Mookie.

• Topic Count:  411
  • Content Count:  5,591
  • Days Won:  3

Dan, I bet if these sanctions had been handed to USF, you'd be pretty pissed and disappointed. Don't know what's so funny about those students reactions.

[quote name='Florida Bull'

timestamp='1343164041' post='1035807']

[quote name='Danm1983'

sorry, couldn't help but laugh at those "poor" students who were doing the whambulance dance in their student center. boo ******* hoo, your football/college experience isn't gone. it's

just not as good. welcome to being usf or some

(PSU has great v-ball) and keep focus on your studies. football is great, but it isn't supposed to

consume your life, and for the regular non-athlete students, you are still getting a great

again!!

10 years ago that got us a 4 year ban, 40

scholarship losses, $60M fine, allowed players to transfer, etc?

sure just transfer......

As much as I love football, the university's responsibilities to the community and state are more important. Winning games is not worth the sexual abuse of children. As much as I would

hate such a penalty, it would be the least of my worries, while USF's administrators were hypothetically covering for-if not aiding and abetting-a pedophile and his disgusting behavior.

you didn't answer the question. what if the ncaa came in and said sammy al arian was a terrorist and USF and it's administration knew it and

covered it up. say this all happened 15 years

I did answer your question. I would not waste my time whining about such sanctions, if my USF did what Penn State did. I actually find it tragic so many Penn State fans and supporters are apparently spending more time trying to get their

penalties repealed than firing the guilty administrators.

Correction: I thought at least Spanier was still employed due to tenure, but I am open minded to your claim he is not.

Dan, I bet if these sanctions had been handed to USF, you'd be pretty pissed and disappointed. Don't know what's so funny about those students reactions.

The difference is USF did not cover up for Sandusky and allow him to abuse children.

• Topic Count:  44
  • Content Count:  2,994
  • Days Won:  4

sorry, i wouldn't be gasping and crying if this sh;t happened to usf or whatever school i was going to. like many have said, football isn't dead. they're just gonna be about as competitive as new mexico state or tulane, boo hoo. and i don't recall seeing anyone say usf wasn't putting their athletics on a pedestal. we do. but it isn't THAT big yet. it does happen at every university that has higher level athletics. spare me the financial rants about out of control budgets and tuitions and cutting academics, etc.

sure, i'd be bummed if we weren't going bowling for 4 years and had to play sh!tty for a while. but i also am logical and understand where things come from. sure it sucks for the students and current athletes to have to go through...even the former players who had nothing to do with any of it. but this type of entity there isn't much else you can do without it looking like a slap on the wrist. anything that didn't diminish their football prowess for a few years (i.e. getting only a fine and even just donating revenues and such to charities) wasn't enough. there may have been less money to buy fancy shoes (not that PSU does that anyways) or do extra recruiting, but for the most part, the school would have been par for the course. this had to be done. if you don't agree, you're allowed to. but it is what it is. dealwithit.jpg

edit - it's funny because those students are acting like they just got expelled from the university themselves. sure, their tenure might not be filled with "glory days", but who is to say if paterno stayed or another coach came along naturally that they didn't end up sucking for 10 years straight, even without the scandal and penalties? these kids should be grateful they're still at a top notch institution of learning and just f;kcing go to class. they can still tailgate, still watch football, they're still gonna win some games, it's not like they'll go 0-12 for ten years straight. i can understand their frustration, but for them to piss and moan like they just watched their dog get run over is just dumb.

maybe they should go ask WKU or fau or some other crap school how it feels to be a wanker team when they're under no sanctions at all, and how great it would be to even be a team that wins 5-6 games a year. it's not the end of the world. it could be a lot worse. and the ones feeling like it's the end of the world just don't get it.

Edited by Danm1983

• Topic Count:  584
  • Content Count:  10,369
  • Days Won:  7

Can't speak for Dan but I would be far more angry and disappointed with my university had they covered up abuse that directly resulted in more minors being harmed by that monster. Had the leadership of my school allowed football to become more important than everything, even more important than protecting children from a predator I would immediately cancel athletic tickets and donations and be a proponent of completley ending football. Not for one year, not for four years, but for the indefinite future. 100% inexcusable.

• Topic Count:  7
  • Content Count:  2,305
  • Days Won:  6

lmao at the current students being punished. The NCAA didnt take away their scholarships. They were for the FOOTBALL TEAM. That is all it is. A ******* football team. The current students arent affected in the least bit. They are there for an education, not football. Holy **** some of you are putting the football team on such a pedestal. They should be grateful this is all they got. They shouldve had their entire program wiped off the face of the Earth. So they cant go to bowl games for a few years and pay some fines. The vacated losses dont affect anyone but Paterno, who is dead. The current players can and should transfer anywhere they want. That program is toxic now and playing there is a death sentence unless youre an NFL talent. If that is the case, you can transfer anywhere and start anyway.

Not saying the student shouldnt be bummed that this happened, but it was MORE than deserved. Football is a game. A game should never take precedent over the safety of children. If this happened to USF, it would sure bum me out, but when you look at the reason this happened, how can you even argue with this? They still get their football games and their Happy Valley. Just like USC this year, PSU will bounce back. It will probably take about a decade, but again, considering the fact that they dont deserve a football team to begin with, they should just stfu and deal with it.

funny football takes precedent over quite a few academic programs at USF. the athletic department and our coach sees it's budget increase every year while tuition rises double digit and state funding is cut. listen i have no problem if you want to gut college athletics. I'm all in favor of it actually. I think there is way to much spent on athletics but please don't act all high and mighty and pretend USF doesn't put it's football program on a pedestal.

this happened because one sicko and 5 guys 15 years ago covered something up. something that the state police and prosecutor decided not to pursue 4 years earlier.

Not saying we dont take athletics seriously here. We definitely do more than we should, considering the budget crisis. Most programs do. However, dont compare USF's program to Penn State's. That would just be blasphemous. There is a huge difference between pedestals. I also pray that USF's pedestal isnt so high that it looks the other way when crimes such as these are committed. I would rather my team be mediocre for eternity than let what PSU happen, happen here. It is not worth it.

Never said I wanted to disband college athletics of any kind. I enjoy college athletics more than professional for the most part. However, it is just a game. idgaf if the players sold memorabilia or had sex with hookers on a yacht. I have no problem with any of that. What PSU did though, imo, is unforgivable. I can only hope something like this never happens at USF.