• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

Should PSU get the Death Penalty?

• Group:  Moderator
  • Topic Count:  1,615
  • Content Count:  74,653
  • Days Won:  424

I doubt that they will be able to maintain 110K... also lets not forget that many, many regular non-athletic students will likley also be looking elsewhere for college. Why would you go to PSU now... the entire experience would be ruined. Sure the diehard Nittany Lions will still go, but the average fair weathers will opt for another State University, or private metro alternative where they can get the full college experience.

Also my cousin lives in PA and he is a huge PSU fan... he has had season tickets for the past 8 years and told me just an hour ago that he is selling his season tickets this year and will use the $$ to get better season tix for the Steelers.

If I was a betting man I would bet that Pitt and Temple both see a jump in their enrollments, and PSU game day attendance takes a major hit.

penn state has the 2nd largest stadium in the country for a reason.

I'm willing to bet penn state is in the top 10 for average attendance next year.

i bet your cousin regrets his decision when he's not able to get them again in the future.

and you are insane if you think this will have any effect on temple and pitt's enrollments.

My cousin is not giving up his season tix's, he is keeping them but putting all of them on stubhub for the 5 years that Penn State is on probabtion and not capable of going to a bowl, or winning the Big 10.

So, Penn State loses nothing ..... Not sure of your point.

Likewise you are insane if you think that Chester the Molestor U is going to remain in the top 10 for attendance, and that Temple/Pitt are not going to see a surge in enrollments. I'm basing my pontification on what occured with SMU and Miami when they got the death penalty in regards to massive game day attendance drops (Miami), and massive drops in enrollments/major upticks at nearby colleges (SMU & Miami)... what are you basing your argument on besides apparent man love for PSU?

And it sounds like you're just basing your argument on your apparent man hate for PSU .... Do you have any facts to back up those assertations about enrollments, upticks, etc? Miami attendance suffered because their fanbase has a huge bandwagon aspect to it which I'd be shocked if PSU was anywhere close to something similar.

• Group:  TBP Subscriber III
  • Topic Count:  4,749
  • Content Count:  37,660
  • Days Won:  29

I also think they should not had any televised games for at least this season.

I agree with everything else.

• Group:  Bull Backers
  • Topic Count:  355
  • Content Count:  4,741
  • Days Won:  3

Gives an explanation of a few terms regarding sholarships/transfers etc. Interesting point about schools with 85 scholarships players already.

INDIANAPOLIS -- Forget about the money. The revenue that Penn State must forfeit both now and in the future as a result of NCAA penalties handed down Monday won’t cripple the football program.

Scholarship reductions might. Especially scholarship reductions coupled with extremely liberal transfer rules for current players and incoming recruits.

Since there was a lot of confusion about the scholarship component earlier Monday, let’s review it again:

• Penn State can offer only 15 scholarships per year, 10 fewer than the maximum allowed, beginning with the 2013 recruiting class and continuing through the 2014, 2015 and 2016 recruiting classes. The team can resume offering 25 scholarships per year with the 2017 class. The scholarship reductions don’t impact the 19-man recruiting class Penn State signed in February.
  • Penn State will have to play with just 65 scholarship players, 20 fewer than the maximum allowed for FBS programs, beginning with the 2014 season and also in the 2015, 2016, and 2017 seasons.
  • The 2018 calendar year will be the first time Penn State can both offer 25 scholarships and play with 85 scholarship players.

A reasonable conclusion: Penn State football might not be back to normal in terms of its roster until the 2020 season or so.

The NCAA and Big Ten also are making it very easy for current Penn State players to transfer. Players who signed national letters of intent with Penn State in February may be released from those letters and allowed to go elsewhere without penalty. If players pledged to Penn State decide in the next year that they want to compete elsewhere, they shouldn’t face much, if any, resistance.

And if Penn State players decide they don’t want to play football but remain in school, their scholarships will be honored until they complete their degrees.

“We recognize the immediate consequences here have an impact on these students, who didn’t have an impact on these students who didn’t have anything directly to do with the transgressions at Penn State,†said Kevin Lennon, the NCAA’s vice president of academic and membership affairs. “So we’re trying to provide the best relief possible.â€

Here are some of the specifics:

• Penn State can’t place any restrictions on where a player can go. “We would simply ask that the student approach the institution and say, ‘I am interested in transferring,’†Lennon said. “And then the school that wants to recruit that student would notify Penn State that they have interest in recruiting that student. So there’s some relief there.â€
  • Both current Penn State players and incoming recruits will be able to transfer and be eligible immediately. Although a transfer within the Big Ten could result in some penalties, league commissioner Jim Delany said Monday that the Big Ten’s presidents and chancellors are leaning toward allowing such transfers with no penalties.
  • The NCAA will re-examine its rules about official and unofficial visits for Penn State recruits. “Should a student want to go back to a campus they had considered during the recruiting process,†Lennon said, “we’ll set aside those limitations for that particular group to make sure they have the most informed and best choice to help them academically and athletically.â€
  • If a Penn State player wishes to transfer to a team that already is at its 85-man scholarship limit, the NCAA will engage the school about ways to possibly make things work. “It’s hard to say we’re going to have a blanket policy to say one school can go over [the limit],†Lennon said. “Perhaps there’s opportunities to look at, if you had more this year, if you went above 25, perhaps you could reduce it the following year. Those would be choices the school would make to balance the competitive issue.â€
  • It’s unknown whether Penn State players could transfer to schools such as Ohio State and USC that are already operating at a reduced scholarship cap because of their own NCAA violations. “We’ve not addressed that issue at all at this point,†Lennon said.

Will the NCAA’s scholarship sanctions prevent Penn State’s ability to compete in the coming years?

“We think you can certainly field a team with these numbers,†Lennon said. “And part of this is a penalty. The institution needs to do the best they can within that construct to field the best team they can.â€

http://espn.go.com/blog/ncfnation/post/_/id/63168/scholarship-penalties-could-crush-psu

• Group:  TBP Subscriber III
  • Topic Count:  4,749
  • Content Count:  37,660
  • Days Won:  29

Schools under probation shouldn't "profit"

Edited by E.T.

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  22
  • Content Count:  8,722
  • Days Won:  23

I doubt that they will be able to maintain 110K... also lets not forget that many, many regular non-athletic students will likley also be looking elsewhere for college. Why would you go to PSU now... the entire experience would be ruined. Sure the diehard Nittany Lions will still go, but the average fair weathers will opt for another State University, or private metro alternative where they can get the full college experience.

Also my cousin lives in PA and he is a huge PSU fan... he has had season tickets for the past 8 years and told me just an hour ago that he is selling his season tickets this year and will use the $$ to get better season tix for the Steelers.

If I was a betting man I would bet that Pitt and Temple both see a jump in their enrollments, and PSU game day attendance takes a major hit.

penn state has the 2nd largest stadium in the country for a reason.

I'm willing to bet penn state is in the top 10 for average attendance next year.

i bet your cousin regrets his decision when he's not able to get them again in the future.

and you are insane if you think this will have any effect on temple and pitt's enrollments.

My cousin is not giving up his season tix's, he is keeping them but putting all of them on stubhub for the 5 years that Penn State is on probabtion and not capable of going to a bowl, or winning the Big 10.

Likewise you are insane if you think that Chester the Molestor U is going to remain in the top 10 for attendance, and that Temple/Pitt are not going to see a surge in enrollments. I'm basing my pontification on what occured with SMU and Miami when they got the death penalty in regards to massive game day attendance drops (Miami), and massive drops in enrollments/major upticks at nearby colleges (SMU & Miami)... what are you basing your argument on besides apparent man love for PSU?

miami has never been given the death penalty.

please link facts to support your claim that enrollments at both miami and smu had massive drops.

penn state went 4-7 in 2004 after going 3-9 the year before. you're right their attendance dropped tremndously. they actually had one of the top 10 worst attendances since 2001 for a game against northwestern.

they only got 100,353 people there.

interestingly enough we were on that list with 99,234 in a year they went 11-1

if their stadium were a city it would be the 4th largest in pennsylvania on game days.

Edited by Bull94

• Topic Count:  96
  • Content Count:  4,501
  • Days Won:  0

Sad part or one of the sad parts is the fact other sports at Penn St will suffer because they were majorly funded by the football program and that revenue source is gone.

• Topic Count:  731
  • Content Count:  10,367
  • Days Won:  40

Sad part or one of the sad parts is the fact other sports at Penn St will suffer because they were majorly funded by the football program and that revenue source is gone.

The majority of their FB revenue comes through donor gifts. This number is up since the Sandusky scandal broke. Probably why they got the hefty fine. It remains to be seen whether these people will continue to give, but I wouldn't assume that the other sports will suffer if the FB gives up bowl distribution money of $13MM a year and a small demise in Ticket sales. They are still getting big time TV money as well(bigger than SEC).

• Topic Count:  96
  • Content Count:  4,501
  • Days Won:  0

The majority of their FB revenue comes through donor gifts. This number is up since the Sandusky scandal broke. Probably why they got the hefty fine. It remains to be seen whether these people will continue to give, but I wouldn't assume that the other sports will suffer if the FB gives up bowl distribution money of $13MM a year and a small demise in Ticket sales. They are still getting big time TV money as well(bigger than SEC).

So you think they just had 60 mil laying around and now no bowls coming up. Lets go for 10k just guessing drop in attendance that would be 2.5 mil, no bowl money 13 mil a year I mean really ? How much money do you think they have ? It has to hurt and trust me the other sports count on that cash.

• Topic Count:  22
  • Content Count:  8,722
  • Days Won:  23

the football team made $43.8M for them last year. their athletic department was about $15M in profit. they will pay this over 5 years. here is a quote concerning other sports

The football team, which was 9-4 last season, had an operating profit of $43.8 million on $58.9 million in revenue. The NCAA has informed Penn State that the $60 million fine cannot come at the expense of other non-revenue sports or other student-athlete scholarships, Emmert said.

http://www.bostonglobe.com/sports/2012/07/23/ncaa-hits-penn-state-with-million-fine-vacates-paterno-wins-from/cfA1s4YHSLTzEsnr2lswjN/story.html

• Topic Count:  411
  • Content Count:  5,591
  • Days Won:  3

Anyone watch OTL today? Showed clips of PSU students watch the press conference. Tore me up, felt awful about that. Football is such a big part of your college experience and that will not be the same for the students there. That to go with the tarnished name of Penn State football and waht is such a prestigious university.