• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

Some screenshots from NCAA football '13

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  263
  • Content Count:  24,750
  • Days Won:  87

Jesus Bullwinkle... Maybe you're the one that needs to lighten up. I didn't imply killing his kid or an animal... heck, even the thought of a terrorist act was the furthest thing from my mind (I don't consider blowing up a car a terrorist act unless it's in an area where innocent people can be hurt - country bumpkins blow up things all the time not far from where I live). Maybe something from the movie "The Program" where they do Skip's car wrong.

By the way... I've never done any drugs - not even weed... and I've never been on any meds (nor have I been diagnosed with one of the many "new" mental disorders that docs willingly throw around to help keep the pill market in business). My lack of political correctness is a fault of mine, but honestly, I don't give a f*ck. Americans have become so worried about participation trophies and not hurting someone's feelings, that they created a new generation of vaginas which will undoubtably continue to lead to America's demise. That's just my take though.

By the way, find it interesting how some of you are really big into the video game scene (talking about dynasties with a college football team). I haven't played a video game out of want since having an old Atari 2600... although I'm currently in six fantasy baseball leagues (three of them being keeper leagues). I guess that's similar to the video game interests many of you have on here. Interesting seeing some of the "other" interests of regular board members on here. If it's anywhere as addictive as fantasy baseball and basketball for me, I know some of you have a lot of time and money vested.

Epic post. Agree 100% with the first two paragraphs. When my kids start playing sports, I'll have to gently but firmly figure out a way for them not to accept trophies unless they are champions.

LOL ... Good luck with telling your 4 year old that he can't have the same trophy the rest of his/her little teammates are getting. Please keep us updated. B)

I really don't see a problem with participation trophies up to a certain age. It's just not that big of a deal .... except to overly competitive parents who thinks it's somehow tainting their future all pro shortstop's psyche. Most kids at that age don't really give a crap about the trophies to begin with ... The post game snacks are infinitely more important.

Exactly, which is why I don't see foresee any major problems with withholding the stupid non-championship trophies. It's funny how when such trophies are handed out, the goal is to increase "self-esteem" but the child that isn't part of a championship has absolutely no accomplishment to look back on other than "they played the game." I was brought up that trying hard was its own reward, and losing meant trying even harder next time, if possible, and working on building up my teammates. Sports are metaphors for life and learning those values should start at an early age.

But don't worry, I'll hype up the post-season pizza party, which, agreed, will be infinitely more important. ;)

• Topic Count:  417
  • Content Count:  9,687
  • Days Won:  8

As long as one team wins and one team loses, I don't care, give them all trophies. The difference between winning and losing should be enough, not some dumb trophy. Just make sure your child knows that the score board is the only thing that matters at the end with integrity being the only thing more important.

Edited by Gismo

• Topic Count:  554
  • Content Count:  14,408
  • Days Won:  13

Video games have kept me sane with the chronic pain issues I have had for a decade. Plus its infinitely cheaper to shoot automatic weapons in a game vs the range. And saying you played a video game 20 years ago when you were 14 and don't get how adults play them now is like saying you raced Model A Fords when you were a teen and don't see the attraction of racing Formula One as an adult because the technology and visual differences are about the same. I have learned an incredible amount about coverages, blitz packages, line shifts, substitutions, player styles, techniques and limitations etc, playing football video games that when I watch real games I have a much deeper understanding of what is going on.

Madden 1988 screen shot. Compare that with the first posts in this thread.

05-88_ea_jm_football-748841.gif

• Topic Count:  743
  • Content Count:  13,357
  • Days Won:  63

I stopped buying Madden and CFB game... no real changes and I never have the time.... I will buy the Batman Arkam games.... Wife likes the Wii and the 360 and I have the PS3 in the office...

• Topic Count:  653
  • Content Count:  31,049
  • Days Won:  172

My first (and last) football video game...

Mattel-Football2.jpg

• Topic Count:  554
  • Content Count:  14,408
  • Days Won:  13

This isn't my video but you can see how this can be entertaining.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VAPcrY2QwIU

• Group:  Moderator
  • Topic Count:  1,615
  • Content Count:  74,639
  • Days Won:  424

Exactly, which is why I don't see foresee any major problems with withholding the stupid non-championship trophies. It's funny how when such trophies are handed out, the goal is to increase "self-esteem" but the child that isn't part of a championship has absolutely no accomplishment to look back on other than "they played the game." I was brought up that trying hard was its own reward, and losing meant trying even harder next time, if possible, and working on building up my teammates. Sports are metaphors for life and learning those values should start at an early age.

I'm sure Marv Marinovich had the same philosophy. We're talking about freaking 4 year olds. At that age, just playing the game IS an accomplishment. As they get older, there's usually a point where the parents kids can decide if they want to keep playing Rec or move over to the more competitive Club teams ...

• Topic Count:  410
  • Content Count:  19,525
  • Days Won:  24

Sure they do. They learned the game, they had fun, and they were part of a team. That is what sports is all about. Kids like cool stuff, and a tiny trophy isn't hurting anyone.

The smart coaches don't just hand out a trophy, they get the kids together and explain to each one what their trophy is for. These should be considered team trophies, not league trophies. Johnny gets one for best footwork, Sally gets one for teamwork, etc. Each one should feel good about being part of the team.

I want kids at that age to be focused on playing as well as they can for the entire game, I don't want them focused on wins and losses.

Employees are valued for being able to come together with the rest of their team and accomplishing things as a group while playing as well as they can individually.

• Group:  Bull Backers
  • Topic Count:  355
  • Content Count:  4,741
  • Days Won:  3

By the way, find it interesting how some of you are really big into the video game scene (talking about dynasties with a college football team). I haven't played a video game out of want since having an old Atari 2600... although I'm currently in six fantasy baseball leagues (three of them being keeper leagues). I guess that's similar to the video game interests many of you have on here. Interesting seeing some of the "other" interests of regular board members on here. If it's anywhere as addictive as fantasy baseball and basketball for me, I know some of you have a lot of time and money vested.

lool I have some money vested in there, but I only get a few games yearly Fifa, NCAA football and Call of Duty. battlefield and medal of honor whenever there's a new one

+1 to FIFA and NCAA but not this year the way usf got ranked lol I'm gonna make a statement

I buy FIFA and NCAA the day they come out. Everything else I buy is at least 1/2 priced used.

• Group:  Moderator
  • Topic Count:  1,615
  • Content Count:  74,639
  • Days Won:  424

Sure they do. They learned the game, they had fun, and they were part of a team. That is what sports is all about. Kids like cool stuff, and a tiny trophy isn't hurting anyone.

The smart coaches don't just hand out a trophy, they get the kids together and explain to each one what their trophy is for. These should be considered team trophies, not league trophies. Johnny gets one for best footwork, Sally gets one for teamwork, etc. Each one should feel good about being part of the team.

I want kids at that age to be focused on playing as well as they can for the entire game, I don't want them focused on wins and losses.

Employees are valued for being able to come together with the rest of their team and accomplishing things as a group while playing as well as they can individually.

Hell, at that age, you just want them not sitting in the middle of the field eating boogers ...