• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

Some screenshots from NCAA football '13

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  23
  • Content Count:  3,042
  • Days Won:  10

Exactly, which is why I don't see foresee any major problems with withholding the stupid non-championship trophies. It's funny how when such trophies are handed out, the goal is to increase "self-esteem" but the child that isn't part of a championship has absolutely no accomplishment to look back on other than "they played the game." I was brought up that trying hard was its own reward, and losing meant trying even harder next time, if possible, and working on building up my teammates. Sports are metaphors for life and learning those values should start at an early age.

Sure they do. They learned the game, they had fun, and they were part of a team. That is what sports is all about. Kids like cool stuff, and a tiny trophy isn't hurting anyone.

The smart coaches don't just hand out a trophy, they get the kids together and explain to each one what their trophy is for. These should be considered team trophies, not league trophies. Johnny gets one for best footwork, Sally gets one for teamwork, etc. Each one should feel good about being part of the team.

I want kids at that age to be focused on playing as well as they can for the entire game, I don't want them focused on wins and losses.

Employees are valued for being able to come together with the rest of their team and accomplishing things as a group while playing as well as they can individually.

Hell, at that age, you just want them not sitting in the middle of the field eating boogers ...

Lol, spot on. When I was a teenager, I used to referee soccer games at Tampa Palms and Hunters Green. Half the kids would day dream/live in the clouds, while the other half would just follow the ball in a large condensed group, like a swarm of bees. They had no idea about effort and giving it your all. They just cared about the orange slices and tang afterwards. But, there was always 1 baller on a team that would destroy the opposition and ball out/score like 5 or 6 goals.

• Topic Count:  554
  • Content Count:  14,411
  • Days Won:  13

You can tell when you are talking to someone who is not around young kids. Oh and the Special Olympics also gives out prizes to everyone that participates.

BTW, my 9 year old daughter, I picked her up from basketball camp on the last day this summer, all teary eyed. She didn't get a participation certificate and said, "They didn't give me one, I wasn't good at anything". My wife, who went to college on a basketball scholarship said prior that my daughter was doing great so I know that wasn't true. So I go in and of course, they just forgot to print one out. The coach also gave her a sweatshirt from the high school the camp was being played at to help cheer her up. You don't screw with kids psyche at certain ages, especially at age 4. You try and give only the winning team a trophy at that age and you don't want to be around to see/hear what the other kids (and parents) reaction is going to be.

• Topic Count:  714
  • Content Count:  7,796
  • Days Won:  6

This isn't my video but you can see how this can be entertaining.

[media=]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VAPcrY2QwIU

The thing that bothers me is that the intro mentions it's the home of the Bucs, before they mention we play there also.

• Topic Count:  263
  • Content Count:  24,750
  • Days Won:  87

You can tell when you are talking to someone who is not around young kids.

LOL - o rly? You have absolutely no idea what you're talking about. I have two young children. Might need to get your detector fixed.

BTW, my 9 year old daughter, I picked her up from basketball camp on the last day this summer, all teary eyed. She didn't get a participation certificate and said, "They didn't give me one, I wasn't good at anything". My wife, who went to college on a basketball scholarship said prior that my daughter was doing great so I know that wasn't true. So I go in and of course, they just forgot to print one out. The coach also gave her a sweatshirt from the high school the camp was being played at to help cheer her up.

A certificate isn't a big deal. Nice touch on the sweatshirt.

You don't screw with kids psyche at certain ages, especially at age 4.

A 4 year old will value a trophy or certificate for about 30 seconds. The post-game or post-season pizza party is far more meaningful.

You try and give only the winning team a trophy at that age and you don't want to be around to see/hear what the other kids (and parents) reaction is going to be.

It used to not be that way, but I would guess the negative reaction stems from the parents far more than it does the kids.

The smart coaches don't just hand out a trophy, they get the kids together and explain to each one what their trophy is for. These should be considered team trophies, not league trophies. Johnny gets one for best footwork, Sally gets one for teamwork, etc. Each one should feel good about being part of the team.

I want kids at that age to be focused on playing as well as they can for the entire game, I don't want them focused on wins and losses.

Employees are valued for being able to come together with the rest of their team and accomplishing things as a group while playing as well as they can individually.

Good post, I can find some common ground there.

• Group:  Bull Backers
  • Topic Count:  355
  • Content Count:  4,741
  • Days Won:  3

LOL - o rly? You have absolutely no idea what you're talking about. I have two young children. Might need to get your detector fixed.

BTW, my 9 year old daughter, I picked her up from basketball camp on the last day this summer, all teary eyed. She didn't get a participation certificate and said, "They didn't give me one, I wasn't good at anything". My wife, who went to college on a basketball scholarship said prior that my daughter was doing great so I know that wasn't true. So I go in and of course, they just forgot to print one out. The coach also gave her a sweatshirt from the high school the camp was being played at to help cheer her up.

A 4 year old will value a trophy or certificate for about 30 seconds. The post-game or post-season pizza party is far more meaningful.

You try and give only the winning team a trophy at that age and you don't want to be around to see/hear what the other kids (and parents) reaction is going to be.

It used to not be that way, but I would guess the negative reaction stems from the parents far more than it does the kids.

I have no kids, nor am I around any, but to say that a certificate is no big deal when replying to Slick's post in which he stated that his daughter was teary eyed because she didn't get a certificate is ridiculous.

• Topic Count:  74
  • Content Count:  924
  • Days Won:  1

and when I thought I posted this for the gamers on here, can you say thread debunked?!

I have no kids, nor am I around any, but to say that a certificate is no big deal when replying to Slick's post in which he stated that his daughter was teary eyed because she didn't get a certificate is ridiculous.

I meant that it's not a big deal for certificates to be handed out. I would prefer my child receive something like that over a trophy. My 3 year old just got a certificate for swimming lessons. She loved it for about 2 minutes.

I apologize if I miscommunicated on that portion.

and when I thought I posted this for the gamers on here, can you say thread debunked?!

LOL - sorry about that - although the correct term would be derailed. B)

• Group:  Bull Backers
  • Topic Count:  355
  • Content Count:  4,741
  • Days Won:  3

I meant that it's not a big deal for certificates to be handed out. I would prefer my child receive something like that over a trophy. My 3 year old just got a certificate for swimming lessons. She loved it for about 2 minutes.

I apologize if I miscommunicated on that portion.

No worries, like I said, I don't have any kids, nor am I aorund any, so I have no idea as to what's important to them. As a matter of fact, I despise when people say something like "if that was my kid, I'd do......".