• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

Excitement Level for Y1 with Goach vs previous coaches?

• Group:  TBP Subscriber
  • Topic Count:  71
  • Content Count:  12,367
  • Days Won:  25

6 minutes ago, Brad said:

You think?

You already know my answer. Scott's next move should have been to an oc that doesn't split duties  and calls plays. He skipped  several key steps to coaching a team , given opportunies he wasnt ready for, and it really showed. Charlie really was a great dc and coached players to championships on his side of the ball.  He is still loved in Gainesville. He is still respected in Louisville for getting bridewater and jackson there. Charlie started to turn usf in the wrong direction  but statistically  he is our second best coach and only guy other than leavitt with a winning  record at usf. It shows the lack of investment in athletics  since the  firing of Leavitt and the big east folding hurt all coaches equally. Charlie even talked about this. Some were just worse than others. Golesh is waking into an easy schedule in a weakened conference.  If there is a chance to turn this around immediately  this is it. Our toughest conference game is utsa and the rest of the programs are teams we should be able to hang with and punch up .

Edited by Outlaw

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  601
  • Content Count:  16,344
  • Days Won:  43

32 minutes ago, Outlaw said:

You already know my answer. Scott's next move should have been to an oc that doesn't split duties  and calls plays. He skipped  several key steps to coaching a team , given opportunies he wasnt ready for, and it really showed. Charlie really was a great dc and coached players to championships on his side of the ball.  He is still loved in Gainesville. He is still respected in Louisville for getting bridewater and jackson there. Charlie started to turn usf in the wrong direction  but statistically  he is our second best coach and only guy other than leavitt with a winning  record at usf. It shows the lack of investment in athletics  since the  firing of Leavitt and the big east folding hurt all coaches equally. Charlie even talked about this. Some were just worse than others. Golesh is waking into an easy schedule in a weakened conference.  If there is a chance to turn this around immediately  this is it. Our toughest conference game is utsa and the rest of the programs are teams we should be able to hang with and punch up .

You can probably write tons of books. Can’t wait to see USF turn it around and see some positive books….

• Go Bulls! 1

• Group:  TBP Subscriber
  • Topic Count:  71
  • Content Count:  12,367

Just now, Bull Matrix said:

You can probably write tons of books. Can’t wait to see USF turn it around and see some positive books….

I would love to see it become reality but it isn't  true yet... Hopefully one day sooner than later 

• Topic Count:  2
  • Content Count:  184
  • Days Won:  0

I've been excited for every year one coach we've had. The reasoning / rationale behind each person brought in was sound and had high upside. I'm just as excited for year one Coach Go as I was for Holtz, Taggart, Strong, and Scott. 10/10 can't wait for for the opener @ WKU.  

• Go Bulls! 1

• Topic Count:  96
  • Content Count:  4,074
  • Days Won:  14

My excitement level for new coaches coming in (before their first season):

Skip:  4/10 at first then 7/10 after his first "speech".  We know how it turned out.

Willie:  5/10:  I wasn't that excited about the Willie hire at first.

CCS:  8/10:  I thought we got an amazing hire in a short amount of time.  Got this one wrong indeed.

CJS:  4/10:  And I'm being completely honest.  Once he began to speak, I was thinking Skip Holtz 2.0.  Turns out he couldn't hold skip's jock.

CAG:  7/10:  I know he has never been a head coach, but I just believe him to be a football guy.  I feel good about this one.  But considering my track record, that means nothing.

• Like 1

• Group:  Admin
  • Topic Count:  13,332
  • Content Count:  97,011
  • Days Won:  469

CAG talks like one of my golf partners, so I'm a little nervous there.

• Haha 1

• Topic Count:  0
  • Content Count:  2,028
  • Days Won:  10

Feelings around new coaches at the point of hiring plus an evaluation at the end.

Holtz: 9 out of 10. I personally thought at that time that he was a great hire. He had had some good success at ECU. and I believed at the time that he would get us to the next level. He ended up being a failure because he could not recruit in the Big East. Did have some great wins against Clemson, Notre Dame, and  Miami. Final Score: D

Taggart; 9 out of 10. I liked this hire since I believed that he was a perfect fit for us and would be able to recruit; and man was he able to recruit. Took him to long to get going ( 2 wins and 4 wins his first two year), but once we got going we had a great team. we won and we were fun to watch. Final score: B

Strong; 4 out of 10. I never liked this hire since if you can't be successful at Texas, it  will be hard being successful at USF.  Did well though with Taggart's players and had a great one and a half years. Couldn't recruit, and then we plummeted. Final score D

Scott. 5 out of 10. I didn't like the hire but thought if we went with an assistant coach we might as well go with one that had just won or was about to win a national championship. Not much to say about him as a coach, since his record at USF might have been the worst in the country during that span. Final score: F

Golesh: 4 out of 10. I am still not a fan of the hire since I strongly believed that we needed someone with  HC experience to get us out of the depths that we are currently in. I will always prefer bringing in someone with HC experience over someone with zero HC experience. So I am in wait and see mode with Golesh. Like some things I am seeing. He did a good job recruiting replacements for the offensive players we lost to the portal, but I didn't like what I saw recruiting wise on the defensive side. Do like how he is recruiting high school for 2024. That said these are just opinions, and have been wrong before (see Holtz), and Golesh might be exactly what we need. Final score yet to be determined

• Upvote 1

• Topic Count:  486
  • Content Count:  12,457

Prior HC experience we’re 1 for 3. First year HC experience we’re 1 for 3. Although I really like what I hear and read about CAG, I have no feelings one way or another. Hope he/we win.

• Topic Count:  7
  • Content Count:  10,853
  • Days Won:  67

5 hours ago, Peatearpan said:

Jim Leavitt aside, how does everyone’s excitement for Y1 of Goach compare with the previous hires?

For me:

1. Skip Holtz: excited for the name attached to him and for what he did at ECU. He was not my first decision from the coaching pool, but I was able to get behind this hire.

Excitement was probably 6/10

2. Willie Taggart: didn’t know who he really was. Got burned by CSH. Kind of apathetic about this hire.

Excitement was 410

3. Charlie Strong: excited despite his record at Texas. He had done well At Louisville and had Florida connections. Figured recruiting and coaching chops would keep the momentum going.

Excitement was 7/10

4. Jeff Scott: man, I liked this hire too. Said the right things, just came from a National Championship winning team. Ties to the south East. 

Excitement was 7/10

5. Goach: so far been saying the right things, somewhat calling out the past misdeeds of this program, trashing c, new stadium is being built. Can’t help but get excited for everything going on around the program.

excitment 9/10

Jeff Scott stayed 2 weeks after we hired him to coach in the championship game and not call plays and Clemson got smoked.  He was a 2 out of the gate, and I guess I overrated him.  However I was excited about CWT and Strong and was 1 for 2.  I am kinda excited about CAG, not sure why but I think he will be successful.  Time shall tell.