• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

Excitement Level for Y1 with Goach vs previous coaches?

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  42
  • Content Count:  2,521
  • Days Won:  3

Jim Leavitt aside, how does everyone’s excitement for Y1 of Goach compare with the previous hires?

For me:

1. Skip Holtz: excited for the name attached to him and for what he did at ECU. He was not my first decision from the coaching pool, but I was able to get behind this hire.

Excitement was probably 6/10

2. Willie Taggart: didn’t know who he really was. Got burned by CSH. Kind of apathetic about this hire.

Excitement was 410

3. Charlie Strong: excited despite his record at Texas. He had done well At Louisville and had Florida connections. Figured recruiting and coaching chops would keep the momentum going.

Excitement was 7/10

4. Jeff Scott: man, I liked this hire too. Said the right things, just came from a National Championship winning team. Ties to the south East. 

Excitement was 7/10

5. Goach: so far been saying the right things, somewhat calling out the past misdeeds of this program, trashing c, new stadium is being built. Can’t help but get excited for everything going on around the program.

excitment 9/10

• Group:  TBP Subscriber
  • Topic Count:  173
  • Content Count:  6,956
  • Days Won:  12

I like his mentality around this program. He is very "Tampa" if that means anything. Blue collar, down to Earth, personable without being overly nice or goody-goody. Practical. 

I think recruiting wise and talent wise, he is proactive if nothing else. How easy do any of us think it would be to find 40 new starters for a football team? And there's studs amongst that 40 - P5 guys, elite guys. Oh and recruit 2024 too (pulled in a 4-star, right?). 

Obviously we are assessing a guy without seeing a down played, and like Strong, anyone can start hot and then show true colors later. Or like Willie come out with a loss to McDonalds State and then really shine. It's so hard to tell, and game 1 probably won't even tell us much more. 

• Upvote 2

• Group:  TBP Subscriber III
  • Topic Count:  683
  • Content Count:  7,634
  • Days Won:  6

Um, I'm going to start using Goach instead of CAG.  Many thanks!

• Upvote 4

• Topic Count:  42
  • Content Count:  2,521
  • Days Won:  3

1 minute ago, 79 Bull said:

Um, I'm going to start using Goach instead of CAG.  Many thanks!

You are welcome

• Topic Count:  601
  • Content Count:  16,344
  • Days Won:  43

I don’t have much excitement. More excited for the OCS. I will see if USF is 3-2 after Navy game and then I can get excited lol

• Topic Count:  173
  • Content Count:  6,956
  • Days Won:  12

Goach sounds like a word that needs to be ******-d out

• Downvote 1

• Topic Count:  71
  • Content Count:  12,371
  • Days Won:  25

30 minutes ago, Peatearpan said:

Jim Leavitt aside, how does everyone’s excitement for Y1 of Goach compare with the previous hires?

For me:

1. Skip Holtz: excited for the name attached to him and for what he did at ECU. He was not my first decision from the coaching pool, but I was able to get behind this hire.

Excitement was probably 6/10

2. Willie Taggart: didn’t know who he really was. Got burned by CSH. Kind of apathetic about this hire.

Excitement was 410

3. Charlie Strong: excited despite his record at Texas. He had done well At Louisville and had Florida connections. Figured recruiting and coaching chops would keep the momentum going.

Excitement was 7/10

4. Jeff Scott: man, I liked this hire too. Said the right things, just came from a National Championship winning team. Ties to the south East. 

Excitement was 7/10

5. Goach: so far been saying the right things, somewhat calling out the past misdeeds of this program, trashing c, new stadium is being built. Can’t help but get excited for everything going on around the program.

excitment 9/10

?/10 . He is saying all the right things, trying to get 4 stars on campus next year which is harder now with nil money and transfer portal, and seems to be a hard worker based on his resume. He has very limited experience  calling plays on offense one year  to be exact and it comes down to the new oc and dc to call the right plays and coaching players up  Ad Mk has burned us with this trick once before a young upcoming oc with limited experience running an offense and fired Fau DC. So I'm cautious on praise until it is earned. I'm waiting to week 6 to judge the guy. The conference is really weak outside of Tulane, utsa,and smu. We have an green and golden  opportunity here to rebound fast.  We don't have to play Tulane or smu either unless great coaching happens and we make it the conference championship. 

Edited by Outlaw

• Topic Count:  71
  • Content Count:  12,371
  • Days Won:  25

2 minutes ago, Brad said:

Coaches are like recruits, I withhold my excitement until I see what they do.

Scott is the best reason why.  He went through all the motions, said all the right things, but couldn't get it done.  Strong brought P5 HC chops and flopped.

Holtz I thought would be serviceable, Taggart I thought was a goofy selection, Strong I thought would re-establish us, not destroy us and I had doubts about a never has been coming in as HC for a floundering program. 

I have that concern today.  So I don't get to wrapped up in it.  The same optimism I have every season is here, but it isn't because I'm on the Goach Coach.  I do like his media handling, adoption of the program and his apparent work ethic...  Let's see what happens!  Until then I'll put a **** smile on my face and look forward to the new season!

Scott was exponentially worse then Charlie. Scott burned the program down and Charlie left behind the gasoline. 

• Upvote 1

• Group:  Admin
  • Topic Count:  13,332
  • Content Count:  97,011
  • Days Won:  469

You think?