• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

4th & 1 - I am now done with CJS

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  222
  • Content Count:  4,210
  • Days Won:  8

It was the wrong play call.  GB is a 230 powerful runner.  He essentially is Jaren Mangham right now and had success running the ball all night.  You put the ball in his hands and tell him to move the pile a yard.  If he fails, he fails.  Then you tip your cap to Cincy and say good job.

Throwing the ball behind the line has a smaller chance of success.  Too many things have to go right.  Like people actually holding their blocks.  It's hard to hold blocks for a long time.  The coaching staff outsmarted themselves on the play trying to get cute.

Edited by BullsFanInTX
  • Upvote 3

• Topic Count:  5
  • Content Count:  3,364
  • Days Won:  5

3 minutes ago, BullsFanInTX said:

It was the wrong play call.  GB is a 230 powerful runner.  He essentially is Jaren Mangham right now and had success running the ball all night.  You put the ball in his hands and tell him to move the pile a yard.  If he fails, he fails.  Then you tip your cap to Cincy and say good job.

Throwing the ball behind the line has a smaller chance of success.  Too many things have to go right.  Like people actually holding their blocks.  It's hard to hold blocks for a long time.  The coaching staff outsmarted themselves on the play trying to get cute.

I hear you, but the question is was that the call or was it GB's read? On a different note there, if it was GB's read, I'd be a little concerned that he didn't want the ball in that scenario.   

• Topic Count:  19
  • Content Count:  957
  • Days Won:  1

Given the shear amount of runs and QB sneaks we ran, why not run a play action slant? The 4th and 1 call can be debated, BUT, my biggest issues were the defense and our passing game in general. These are the achilles heel of this team and are the reasons we can’t win right now. I really think if we had a half way competent defensive coordinator, we could win a few games. 

• Topic Count:  17
  • Content Count:  1,516
  • Days Won:  0

Amazing isn’t it? Yes, I know it was an RPO, but the amount of times we run the ball up the middle every game and we don’t do it the time we should? The irony. These guys can’t help but shoot themselves in the foot over and over. 

• Topic Count:  17
  • Content Count:  1,516
  • Days Won:  0

1 hour ago, olafberserker said:

I hear you, but the question is was that the call or was it GB's read? On a different note there, if it was GB's read, I'd be a little concerned that he didn't want the ball in that scenario.   

You need a yard. 1. Uno. We watched Bohanon throw 4 yard passes into the feet of the WR or throw it completely behind a check down. The call should have been a run between the tackles whether it was with Bohanon keeping it and the RB leading the way or handing it off. There should not have even been a pass option. Like said above, if you go with Bohanon on a keeper and they stop it you tip your cap. Instead you over complicate it and give the opportunity for the nonsense to take place that did. 

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

• Topic Count:  26
  • Content Count:  740
  • Days Won:  3

6 hours ago, USFbulls24 said:

You need a yard. 1. Uno. We watched Bohanon throw 4 yard passes into the feet of the WR or throw it completely behind a check down. The call should have been a run between the tackles whether it was with Bohanon keeping it and the RB leading the way or handing it off. There should not have even been a pass option. Like said above, if you go with Bohanon on a keeper and they stop it you tip your cap. Instead you over complicate it and give the opportunity for the nonsense to take place that did. 

Couldn't have said it better, myself.

• Group:  TBP Subscriber
  • Topic Count:  19
  • Content Count:  3,414
  • Days Won:  3

8 hours ago, michibull said:

competent defensive coordinator, we could win a few games

I think the issue lies with our talent/depth. Sure some better calls here and there but we are up to three or four DCs in however many years and that doesn't seem to matter.

• Topic Count:  63
  • Content Count:  2,358
  • Days Won:  8

10 hours ago, CousinRicky said:

This is where we missed having Mangham.  

Not sure if anyone watched LSU today but twice they had straight runs stuffed on 4th down. So no guarantees on these 4th down plays. I didn't love the play call but not going to say the coaches called a bad game because that play didn't work. If Gerry keeps it and gets the first or if Battie turns the corner and gets the first we're all giddy as shiite.  

There is no doubt that missing Mangham was a factor in this play

Also, overall, I felt the play calling yesterday on both sides of the ball was better than we have seen

@Ghostbuster put it perfectly - for me, CJS has lost the benefit of the doubt and IMO, that 4th and 1 play is part of an ongoing trend with CJS

We can debate all day whether it was an RPO, a player execution issue or player personnel issue - the bottom line is that the situation called for a power play and what was run was finesse.

We have a highly paid coaching staff whose job it is to ensure that the right play is called and properly executed at the right time. For me, CJS is no-longer the correct resource to make this happen.

• Upvote 1

• Topic Count:  45
  • Content Count:  473
  • Days Won:  2

4 hours ago, thatboykane said:

Couldn't have said it better, myself.

Totally agree. I was there and the chances of GB not getting it on a straight up the gut keeper were slim. They had not stopped it all day. Why complicate things.

• Upvote 1

• Topic Count:  119
  • Content Count:  6,564
  • Days Won:  28

17 hours ago, bowman1 said:

I had this game chalked-up as a loss - I was pleasantly surprised by the game plan and was relatively content with the game until that 4th and 1 play

The correct call was a Bohanon run - either up the middle or off-tackle.  If they had run that play and been stopped, I would have been happy (we were after-all 4 touchdown underdogs)

The fact that the coaching staff ran a swing pass, behind the line of scrimmage, to the smallest player on the field shows either:

A) They had no faith in Bohanon to get the first down

B) They did not know what the correct play call should have been

C) They over-thought the play instead of keeping things simple

Either way, that play is a trend and the trend says that CJS and his staff are never going to get it right at USF

A few weeks ago, I had stated that I would not advocate for firing Coach Scott until the season ended and had a full body of work to look at - the ECU game and the 4th & 1 call today have changed my mind.

Scott needs to go - the sooner that happens, the sooner we can start righting the ship and begin the next chapter of USF Football

I feel Powell, Hamilton or 224 Ib Jason Albritton could have gotten that yard as well. 

• Upvote 1