• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

4th & 1 - I am now done with CJS

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  63
  • Content Count:  2,355
  • Days Won:  8

I had this game chalked-up as a loss - I was pleasantly surprised by the game plan and was relatively content with the game until that 4th and 1 play

The correct call was a Bohanon run - either up the middle or off-tackle.  If they had run that play and been stopped, I would have been happy (we were after-all 4 touchdown underdogs)

The fact that the coaching staff ran a swing pass, behind the line of scrimmage, to the smallest player on the field shows either:

A) They had no faith in Bohanon to get the first down

B) They did not know what the correct play call should have been

C) They over-thought the play instead of keeping things simple

Either way, that play is a trend and the trend says that CJS and his staff are never going to get it right at USF

A few weeks ago, I had stated that I would not advocate for firing Coach Scott until the season ended and had a full body of work to look at - the ECU game and the 4th & 1 call today have changed my mind.

Scott needs to go - the sooner that happens, the sooner we can start righting the ship and begin the next chapter of USF Football

• Upvote 1
  • Go Bulls! 2

• Group:  TBP Subscriber III
  • Topic Count:  1,834
  • Content Count:  5,468
  • Days Won:  13

1 minute ago, bowman1 said:

I had this game chalked-up as a loss - I was pleasantly surprised by the game plan and was relatively content with the game until that 4th and 1 play

The correct call was a Bohanon run - either up the middle or off-tackle.  If they had run that play and been stopped, I would have been happy (we were after-all 4 touchdown underdogs)

The fact that the coaching staff ran a swing pass, behind the line of scrimmage, to the smallest player on the field shows either:

Either way, that play is a trend and the trend says that CJS and his staff are never going to get it right at USF

A few weeks ago, I had stated that I would not advocate for firing Coach Scott until the season ended and had a full body of work to look at - the ECU game and the 4th & 1 call today have changed my mind.

Scott needs to go - the sooner that happens, the sooner we can start righting the ship and begin the next chapter of USF Football

It was an RPO for Bohannon to decide whether to run or pass.  The guys at Daily Stampede do a good job breaking it down.

May not have been the best possible call... with only 2 RBs avaialble, one who was banged up, and a dinged up Bohannon.

• Topic Count:  23
  • Content Count:  10,199
  • Days Won:  2

He said it was run pass play so Gerry should have seen 3 defenders on Battie and ran.

Or better yet just make it a run play for Gerry.

• Upvote 1

• Topic Count:  5
  • Content Count:  3,354
  • Days Won:  5

Unfortunately I did not see the play, but I don't hate trying to get the ball to your best player in space

2 minutes ago, Bulls On Parade said:

He said it was run pass play so Gerry should have seen 3 defenders on Battie and ran.

Or better yet just make it a run play for Gerry.

He saw three blockers on three defenders... Chris Carter couldn't hold his block.

1 minute ago, olafberserker said:

Unfortunately I did not see the play, but I don't hate trying to get the ball to your best player in space

That was it exactly. If Carter holds his block, it's a footrace for Battie against a DE and LB on Cincy.  I like Battie in that.

But ... there may have been a better call.

• Group:  Admin
  • Topic Count:  13,332
  • Content Count:  97,018
  • Days Won:  469

5 minutes ago, Jim Johnson said:

only 2 RBs avaialble, one who was banged up, and a dinged up Bohannon.

The unspoken problem that late in the game...

Still, the call is controversial.  Didn't like it.

• Topic Count:  23
  • Content Count:  10,199
  • Days Won:  2

It could have worked but Cincy is a good defense I'd stick with a higher chance play spread out defense and run Gerry.

4 minutes ago, Bulls On Parade said:

It could have worked but Cincy is a good defense I'd stick with a higher chance play spread out defense and run Gerry.

The Cincy defense does lead the nation in tackles for loss.

• Group:  Admin
  • Topic Count:  13,332
  • Content Count:  97,018
  • Days Won:  469

• Topic Count:  196
  • Content Count:  6,614
  • Days Won:  51

51 minutes ago, bowman1 said:

Well it took you a lot longer to give up than it did for me 

Edited by Sellular1