• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

4th & 1 - I am now done with CJS

• Group:  Admin
  • Topic Count:  13,332
  • Content Count:  97,018
  • Days Won:  469

It has been suggested that Gerry should have read a keep and taken it himself.

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  5
  • Content Count:  3,354
  • Days Won:  5

6 minutes ago, Ghostbuster said:

The difference is when you throw well behind the sticks on 4th and 1 you really open yourself up to legit questions.  *ESPECIALLY* against a fast defense.  You have to make up 6 yards against a swarming D instead of 1.

Blame the QB for other things but not for designing a game-on-the-line 4th down play that has an option of intentionally throwing several yards behind the line of scrimmage.

If a play doesn't work there will always be legit questions.  This isn't really an example of the "problem".    You see calls like this all the time in college football

• Upvote 1

• Group:  TBP Subscriber
  • Topic Count:  19
  • Content Count:  3,396
  • Days Won:  3

8 minutes ago, Ghostbuster said:

You have to make up 6 yards against a swarming D instead of 1.

So when you hand the ball off your not 4-5 yards behind the line of scrimmage? No way they are doing a QB sneak there against that DL...

1 minute ago, Sk00b said:

So when you hand the ball off your not 4-5 yards behind the line of scrimmage? No way they are doing a QB sneak there against that DL...

Not sure why not, but was he even under center or were they in the shotgun?

• Group:  TBP Subscriber
  • Topic Count:  19
  • Content Count:  3,396
  • Days Won:  3

2 minutes ago, olafberserker said:

Not sure why not, but was he even under center or were they in the shotgun?

Shotgun. I just don't see the qb sneak working there but maybe as others have stated it would be a higher percentage play.

Someone has to have analytics like in baseball right? 

Edited by Sk00b
Analytics?

Just now, Sk00b said:

Shotgun. I just don't see the qb sneak working there but maybe as others have stated it would be a higher percentage play.

He's a good runner and powerful, but he apparently didn't read that ... and I hate the shotgun in that situation, but that's today's game

• Topic Count:  23
  • Content Count:  730
  • Days Won:  4

3 minutes ago, olafberserker said:

If a play doesn't work there will always be legit questions.  This isn't really an example of the "problem".    You see calls like this all the time in college football

I don't understand.  What "problem" are you talking about?

I'm just saying there's a difference between being mad bc a play didn't work and being mad because a play has a poor chance of success.  I'm gonna pick on the Bucs from last their last Super Bowl win.  I was furious when they threw the ball to some OLine dude (who had reported as eligible receiver) instead of their reliable playmakers.  That dude doesn't catch for a living, why waste a trip in the red zone of the Super Bowl on that????  But at least in that case the guy was in the end zone, he just had butterfingers and dropped a TD.

With our 4th down play the required actions were "throw behind the marker, hope he catches, hope he breaks tackles, hope the blockers block, and hope he doesn't trip/otherwise fall down before the converting."

Vs

"Throw the ball to the receiver, hope he is open and hope he catches "

2 minutes ago, Sk00b said:

Coulda tried a sneak...or could have throw to someone who already had the yardage.

• Upvote 1

1 minute ago, Ghostbuster said:

I don't understand.  What "problem" are you talking about?

I'm just saying there's a difference between being mad bc a play didn't work and being mad because a play has a poor chance of success.  I'm gonna pick on the Bucs from last their last Super Bowl win.  I was furious when they threw the ball to some OLine dude (who had reported as eligible receiver) instead of their reliable playmakers.  That dude doesn't catch for a living, why waste a trip in the red zone of the Super Bowl on that????  But at least in that case the guy was in the end zone, he just had butterfingers and dropped a TD.

With our 4th down play the required actions were "throw behind the marker, hope he catches, hope he breaks tackles, hope the blockers block, and hope he doesn't trip/otherwise fall down before the converting."

Vs

"Throw the ball to the receiver, hope he is open and hope he catches "

Coulda tried a sneak...or could have throw to someone who already had the yardage.

This play call is being used as an example of poor coaching overall .... this kind of play happens all the time  .. .. it sounds like we put the ball in the hands of our best players (GB and Battie) ....   if it worked it would have been hailed as a great call

• Like 1

• Group:  TBP Subscriber III
  • Topic Count:  582
  • Content Count:  22,685
  • Days Won:  108

1 hour ago, bowman1 said:

A straight GB run was the higher percentage play and if it failed, I would have been ok with that (as you stated, they are #24 and have a pretty good defense)

This is where we missed having Mangham.  

Not sure if anyone watched LSU today but twice they had straight runs stuffed on 4th down. So no guarantees on these 4th down plays. I didn't love the play call but not going to say the coaches called a bad game because that play didn't work. If Gerry keeps it and gets the first or if Battie turns the corner and gets the first we're all giddy as shiite.  

Edited by CousinRicky
  • Like 1
  • Upvote 1

• Topic Count:  35
  • Content Count:  330
  • Days Won:  0

Terrible call on 4th and 1. That was not Run Pass Option as Bohannon locked in on RB immediately!

Fire clueless Coach Scott !

• Like 1