• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

4th & 1 - I am now done with CJS

• Group:  TBP Subscriber
  • Topic Count:  71
  • Content Count:  12,413
  • Days Won:  25

59 minutes ago, olafberserker said:

Unfortunately I did not see the play, but I don't hate trying to get the ball to your best player in space

Typical Jeff Scott calling messing up the play call on a 4th and 1 situation in a winnable game.

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  25
  • Content Count:  1,699
  • Days Won:  2

15 minutes ago, Outlaw said:

Typical Jeff Scott calling messing up the play call on a 4th and 1 situation in a winnable game.

In a game where we weren't suppose to be close....must have been some decent play calling.

• Upvote 1

• Topic Count:  71
  • Content Count:  12,413
  • Days Won:  25

21 minutes ago, mjadams said:

In a game where we weren't suppose to be close....must have been some decent play calling.

I guess you forgot his play calling in clutch situations cost us another game last year... This isn't the first time. Yes the coaching staff did better today and so did the players, but at the end of the day another L in the Loss column. 1-23 against FBS teams, no road wins, and no wins against a ranked opponent under CJS.

Edited by Outlaw
  • Upvote 2
  • Downvote 2

• Topic Count:  63
  • Content Count:  2,355
  • Days Won:  8

2 hours ago, Jim Johnson said:

It was an RPO for Bohannon to decide whether to run or pass.  The guys at Daily Stampede do a good job breaking it down.

May not have been the best possible call... with only 2 RBs avaialble, one who was banged up, and a dinged up Bohannon.

I am not laying this on GB (he played pretty good today) - if it was an RPO, then it was still the wrong call by the coaching staff because it should have been a straight run

That was the play of the game and the coaches leave the decision to a 22 Y/O amateur athlete?

• Like 1

• Topic Count:  19
  • Content Count:  3,396
  • Days Won:  3

1 minute ago, bowman1 said:

wrong call by the coaching staff because it should have been a straight run

And if it was a straight run and didnt work? Everyone here would still be ********. This one was on #24 Cinci having a good defense call in place. GB wouldnt have gotten that yard if he tucks and runs. Maybe but i don't think so. 

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Sellular1 said:

Well it took you a lot longer to give up than it did for me 

I am not a rash individual by nature 

I will still root for USF and try not to be overly snarky on TBP regarding CJS, but my goodness, that play was the proverbial straw for me

1 minute ago, Sk00b said:

And if it was a straight run and didnt work? Everyone here would still be ********. This one was on #24 Cinci having a good defense call in place. GB wouldnt have gotten that yard if he tucks and runs. Maybe but i don't think so. 

A straight GB run was the higher percentage play and if it failed, I would have been ok with that (as you stated, they are #24 and have a pretty good defense)

• Topic Count:  6
  • Content Count:  540
  • Days Won:  0

It did feel like a strange call like a 5 yard pass play on 4th and 10. Sure it could have worked but it just seems like a low percentage play with how well their defense had been in the 4th quarter.

• Group:  TBP Subscriber III
  • Topic Count:  1,834
  • Content Count:  5,468
  • Days Won:  13

3 minutes ago, bowman1 said:

A straight GB run was the higher percentage play and if it failed, I would have been ok with that (as you stated, they are #24 and have a pretty good defense)

I think there was some concern about GB's hamstring... and an off-tackle play to Battie was probably what UC was expecting.  I would have gone with a different RPO - one that moves forward rather than laterally.

• Topic Count:  23
  • Content Count:  730
  • Days Won:  4

18 minutes ago, Sk00b said:

The difference is when you throw well behind the sticks on 4th and 1 you really open yourself up to legit questions.  *ESPECIALLY* against a fast defense.  You have to make up 6 yards against a swarming D instead of 1.

Blame the QB for other things but not for designing a game-on-the-line 4th down play that has an option of intentionally throwing several yards behind the line of scrimmage.