• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

OCS - Ring of Honor

• Group:  Moderator
  • Topic Count:  1,612
  • Content Count:  74,593
  • Days Won:  424

4 minutes ago, Outlaw said:

I am not holding it against him but his loss at UCF because of coaching dumb dumbs was the downfall of our win streak. He was the face when the tides started to shift.

Such as?

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  95
  • Content Count:  2,431
  • Days Won:  3

We should only include players who make it to All-Americans or win some sort of nationally recognized award.

I like the criteria that another school who has been playing football way longer than us uses:

Criteria to Merit Consideration

• Heisman Trophy Winners 
  • All-Americans Inducted into either the collegiate or NFL Hall of Fame for Accomplishments as Players 
  • All-Americans Who Are NFL Career Category Leaders
  • Coaches with multiple conference championships
  • Players with 2 or more consensus All-American honors (AP, Walter Camp, Sporting News, AFCA, FWAA, UPI)
  • Players who have been named National Offensive/Defensive Players of Year (AP, Walter Camp, Sporting News, ABC, AFCA, FWAA, UPI)

Obviously LRS deserves recognition as well. 

Only LRS and George Selvie deserve a Ring of Honor recognition imo for now. We cannot just give this prize out like its nothing; otherwise it loses its value. Tradition doesn't get built overnight.

• Upvote 2

• Group:  TBP Subscriber
  • Topic Count:  71
  • Content Count:  12,435
  • Days Won:  25

49 minutes ago, Triple B said:

Such as?

Strong Kicking to a guy that has already returned a TD. Kick the **** ball out of bound and don't let him touch it,.

• Topic Count:  1,518
  • Content Count:  42,125
  • Days Won:  344

1 hour ago, zarnozdabull said:

We should only include players who make it to All-Americans or win some sort of nationally recognized award.

I like the criteria that another school who has been playing football way longer than us uses:

• Heisman Trophy Winners 
  • All-Americans Inducted into either the collegiate or NFL Hall of Fame for Accomplishments as Players 
  • Players with 2 or more consensus All-American honors (AP, Walter Camp, Sporting News, AFCA, FWAA, UPI)
  • Players who have been named National Offensive/Defensive Players of Year (AP, Walter Camp, Sporting News, ABC, AFCA, FWAA, UPI)

Only LRS and George Selvie deserve a Ring of Honor recognition imo for now. We cannot just give this prize out like its nothing; otherwise it loses its value. Tradition doesn't get built overnight.

This. Some on here are handing out the award like it’s candy. 

• Topic Count:  47
  • Content Count:  811
  • Days Won:  1

LEE ROY SELMON?

• Topic Count:  67
  • Content Count:  2,409
  • Days Won:  22

1 hour ago, zarnozdabull said:

• Heisman Trophy Winners 

This was my thinking when making the post and I could accept it, but it feels dirty leaving off Grothe and especially Flowers.

If you polled our fanbase on who the best player in program history is I'd be surprised if less than 85% of people said Flowers. All time program leader in total yards and total TD's. And the leader of the team the only years we've ever finished ranked.

• Group:  Moderator
  • Topic Count:  1,612
  • Content Count:  74,593
  • Days Won:  424

2 hours ago, Outlaw said:

Strong Kicking to a guy that has already returned a TD.

Not according to ESPN game stats. He had 1 previous return for 30 yards.

Kick the **** ball out of bound and don't let him touch it,.

In a game where it looks like the team with the ball last probably wins, you give them a shorter field with less than 2 minutes left ....... brilliant move. THAT would have been dumb dumb.

• Topic Count:  19
  • Content Count:  956
  • Days Won:  1

7 hours ago, Outlaw said:

Strong Kicking to a guy that has already returned a TD. Kick the **** ball out of bound and don't let him touch it,.

I’m a little old school, but players have to make plays. To quote the great coach Tony D’Amato “Now I can’t do it for ya, I’m too old…..” the way I teach the kids on my baseball teams, is that ultimately, it’s their team, their game and they’re responsible for making the plays to win. We (coaches) are there to help them the best we can, but we can’t make the plays for them. Publicly, we will take the blame for the teams mistakes, but within our own locker-room, it is our individual responsibility as members of the team to look in the mirror and see what we could have done better to help our team out (coaches and players). For every bad play call, formation or timeout, there are dozens of missed throws, catches, cuts, blocks, tackles, pass break ups, audibles, etc… yes, coaches can greatly effect the game positively and negatively (we all make mistakes); but as a player, it’s your job to do everything within your power to positively impact the game. So while I think CCS helped tear down our program with the poor recruiting and poor game planning, our players didn’t help a whole lot. 

• Topic Count:  95
  • Content Count:  2,431
  • Days Won:  3

17 hours ago, bulloni said:

This was my thinking when making the post and I could accept it, but it feels dirty leaving off Grothe and especially Flowers.

If you polled our fanbase on who the best player in program history is I'd be surprised if less than 85% of people said Flowers. All time program leader in total yards and total TD's. And the leader of the team the only years we've ever finished ranked.

What conference trophies did Grothe win? How many times was he an all-american? What nationally recognized awards did he win? The answers to all those questions is 0.

He also threw as many INTs as TDs.

What exactly did he accomplish in the long run to deserve to be glorified forever on USF stadium? 

If we’re gonna glorify every quarterback with a winning record that comes through USF…

• Topic Count:  67
  • Content Count:  2,409
  • Days Won:  22

9 minutes ago, zarnozdabull said:

What conference trophies did Grothe win? How many times was he an all-american? What nationally recognized awards did he win? The answers to all those questions is 0.

He also threw as many INTs as TDs.

What exactly did he accomplish in the long run to deserve to be glorified forever on USF stadium? 

If we’re gonna glorify every quarterback with a winning record that comes through USF…

Maybe Grothe being associated with the highest peak of our program warps our view of him.  Conference games with 45k+ attendance in USF history:

12 when Grothe is on the roster

2 in our entire history otherwise

But yeah I could be talked into just leaving him off if we want to keep it super exclusive

Edited by bulloni