• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

OCS - Ring of Honor

• Group:  Moderator
  • Topic Count:  1,612
  • Content Count:  74,592
  • Days Won:  424

40 minutes ago, Outlaw said:

1)Grothe did it in the Big East against much better competition.

Did what? ..... and he did "it" with BE players against BE competition.

43 minutes ago, Outlaw said:

2)Flowers great QB but started the losing streak against UCF

59c199b4875ec_facepalmted.jpg.6c3070c66a1da67e70f3c0e8fee633e1.jpg

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  43
  • Content Count:  3,899
  • Days Won:  8

If it's up to me it's:

1) CJL. Obvious reasons, dismissal aside.

2) Blackwell. Was the OG star who put the Bulls "on the map". The Pitt win in '01. Should have gotten us to our first bowl game in '02. 20 years later and he's still all over the passing leaderboards. Also, Grothe came up in this discussion on Twitter and even he mentioned that Blackwell has to be up there.

3) Selvie. Pretty sure he's our most decorated individual player, at least in regards to All Americans and All Conference accolades.

4) and 5) Grothe and Flowers. I'm honestly good with whatever order they end up choosing between these two. I can see sound arguments for both guys.

• Topic Count:  67
  • Content Count:  2,409
  • Days Won:  22

43 minutes ago, Outlaw said:

Flowers was 2-1 against UCF. And in that one loss he had 600 yards and 6 TD's. There are arguments for Grothe, but Q's performances against UCF should be a bonus for him not something held against him

• Upvote 2

• Topic Count:  19
  • Content Count:  955
  • Days Won:  1

Ok, I would pump the brakes on throwing up a bunch of players because they had a good season or two; we don’t want to be like the Detroit Pistons where they have a ton of retired numbers of players not in the hall of fame. While I love the idea of a ring of honor, I am not about to pick our favorite players and put them up there. I believe the most common requirement is spending multiple years with the school, winning multiple individual awards while leading your team to championships. I think Tebow, Charles Woodson, Barry Sanders, Bo Jackson and if you want mid major, Andy Dalton or Randy Moss. I think Jim Leavitt is a absolute must in the ring of honor!! I am not a big fan of statues, but I think a statue of Jim Leavitt and LRS on the sideline with some of the OG players (basically a tribute to those that blazed the trail for USF football) at the stadium entrance would be amazing. Other than that, I think for a player to get into the ring of honor, they need to win multiple All-America awards and the team need to win something of consequence. There are many Heisman trophy winners that are not in ring of honors; the requirements to be in the ring of honor needs to be really high. No statues of players, I just think it should be about the school and team. 

Edited by michibull

• Group:  Admin
  • Topic Count:  13,332
  • Content Count:  97,019
  • Days Won:  469

2 hours ago, Outlaw said:

1)Grothe did it in the Big East against much better competition.

3)BJ beat some big time programs had a terrible coaching in Skip

Marquel below Daniels?

• Group:  Admin
  • Topic Count:  13,332
  • Content Count:  97,019
  • Days Won:  469

1 hour ago, Triple B said:

..... and he did "it" with BE players against BE competition.

I disagree that he had BE players. As stated in another thread, no quarterback has been surrounded with as much talent as Quinton Flowers was.  

• Upvote 2

• Group:  TBP Subscriber
  • Topic Count:  71
  • Content Count:  12,427
  • Days Won:  25

17 minutes ago, Brad said:

I disagree that he had BE players. As stated in another thread, no quarterback has been surrounded with as much talent as Quinton Flowers was.  

QF has NFL Talent in MVS,  Johnson, Adams, Mack, and Wilcox. Then add in McCants and he may have had the best receiving and supporting weapons ever at USF.

58 minutes ago, michibull said:

Ok, I would pump the brakes on throwing up a bunch of players because they had a good season or two; we don’t want to be like the Detroit Pistons where they have a ton of retired numbers of players not in the hall of fame. While I love the idea of a ring of honor, I am not about to pick our favorite players and put them up there. I believe the most common requirement is spending multiple years with the school, winning multiple individual awards while leading your team to championships. I think Tebow, Charles Woodson, Barry Sanders, Bo Jackson and if you want mid major, Andy Dalton or Randy Moss. I think Jim Leavitt is a absolute must in the ring of honor!! I am not a big fan of statues, but I think a statue of Jim Leavitt and LRS on the sideline with some of the OG players (basically a tribute to those that blazed the trail for USF football) at the stadium entrance would be amazing. Other than that, I think for a player to get into the ring of honor, they need to win multiple All-America awards and the team need to win something of consequence. There are many Heisman trophy winners that are not in ring of honors; the requirements to be in the ring of honor needs to be really high. No statues of players, I just think it should be about the school and team. 

LR and CJL both deserve statues. The ring of honor players can be plaques or bricks at the stadium.  

1 hour ago, bulloni said:

Flowers was 2-1 against UCF. And in that one loss he had 600 yards and 6 TD's. There are arguments for Grothe, but Q's performances against UCF should be a bonus for him not something held against him

I am not holding it against him but his loss at UCF because of coaching dumb dumbs was the downfall of our win streak. He was the face when the tides started to shift.

Edited by Outlaw
  • Upvote 1

Stats wise Marquel deserves to be there but I never saw him play because I wasn't a student so I can't really tell you how good he was by the eye test. He was a pioneer and OG so he deserves recognition. 

• Group:  Moderator
  • Topic Count:  1,612
  • Content Count:  74,592
  • Days Won:  424

2 minutes ago, Brad said:

Saw this coming when I read your other post but my statement still stands, it was BE players versus BE players. What I will say about MG is that it's easy to forget that he missed basically his whole final year and theoretically that should have been his best. Having said all that, I kind of of agree with Michi that the only ones worthy of singling out at this point are CJL and LRS.