• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

OCS - Ring of Honor

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  1
  • Content Count:  401
  • Days Won:  2

I know the focus was probably on football focused players and coaches but I really am surprised it took y'all until page 4 (at least as far as I could tell) to mention LRS. Easily should be the first person honored, at least from this outsider's perspective.

• Group:  Admin
  • Topic Count:  13,332
  • Content Count:  97,019
  • Days Won:  469

There will be vast differences in opinion about who and in what order.  I met LRS, spoke to him multiple times.  A wonderful person and a big part of the program.  But he wouldn't be the first person that I would recognize.

• Upvote 1

• Topic Count:  67
  • Content Count:  2,409
  • Days Won:  22

Selmon_Lee_Roy.jpg?width=300

Lee Roy Selmon, Class: Induction: 2012 Sport(s): Director of Athletics - Director of Athletics (2001-04),

Reading this its clear he did a lot for us but I think naming the main Athletics building after him is an appropriate level of recognition. Was very young back then so maybe i'm underestimating his importance, would be glad to hear why he's worthy of ring of honor

• Topic Count:  1,518
  • Content Count:  42,125
  • Days Won:  344

29 minutes ago, bulloni said:
Selmon_Lee_Roy.jpg?width=300

Lee Roy Selmon, Class: Induction: 2012 Sport(s): Director of Athletics - Director of Athletics (2001-04),

Reading this its clear he did a lot for us but I think naming the main Athletics building after him is an appropriate level of recognition. Was very young back then so maybe i'm underestimating his importance, would be glad to hear why he's worthy of ring of honor

He was the one who helped laid the foundation for fundraising to start the program. If you are going to put Leavitt on the ring then there is no way in hell Selmon is not there. 

• Upvote 1

:roflmao:

16 minutes ago, Brad said:

:roflmao:

Then Jimbo the man who NEVER CAME CLOSE to a conference championship should not be there. Unless you want a hall of shame…

Edited by NewEnglandBull

• Topic Count:  95
  • Content Count:  2,431
  • Days Won:  3

2 hours ago, bulloni said:

Maybe Grothe being associated with the highest peak of our program warps our view of him.  Conference games with 45k+ attendance in USF history:

12 when Grothe is on the roster

2 in our entire history otherwise

But yeah I could be talked into just leaving him off if we want to keep it super exclusive

This I agree with. Although I could even argue that 2016 was our highest peak as it is the highest we’ve ever ended a season in terms of ranking. Grothe’s teams never ended a single season ranked.
Also, Big East teams like Pitt and WVU have way bigger followings than ECU and Tulsa, I’m sure that also affected attendance numbers. It’s more impressive we reached 40,000+ for an AAC game tbh. 

It can be argued we should wait another 25 years before putting up a ring of honor. Our history has been middling at best. 

1 hour ago, NewEnglandBull said:

Then Jimbo the man who NEVER CAME CLOSE to a conference championship should not be there. Unless you want a hall of shame…

I'm just laughing that part of LRS's induction into the Ring will be because "If you are going to put Leavitt on the ring then there is no way in hell Selmon is not there!"

By your standard, NO ONE gets in.

6 minutes ago, Brad said:

I'm just laughing that part of LRS's induction into the Ring will be because "If you are going to put Leavitt on the ring then there is no way in hell Selmon is not there!"

By your standard, NO ONE gets in.

Correct… as I stated previously, I’m not sure right now anyone should be in. We’ve been a program that hasn’t really done that much on the greater scale of things. The only one right now is GS. But where do you go from there? 

Edited by NewEnglandBull