• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

OCS - Ring of Honor

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  67
  • Content Count:  2,409
  • Days Won:  22

Brad
This post was recognized by Brad!

"Love the imagination and ideation on what could be!"

bulloni was awarded the badge 'Creative' and 10 points.

With our own OCS we can finally start a ring of honor. Limit it to 1 person per year tops and do a ceremony at halftime of a game. Don't do it on homecoming so it adds another game to the schedule each year with some added fanfare to look forward to.

1st year: Jim Leavitt - there has been some teasing pointing to him and the school reconciling a bit. does he deserve a statue or the field named after him? No. But opening up the ring of honor with him would be deserved and a cool gesture.

2nd year: George Selvie - without a doubt the most decorated player in Bulls history as a 2 time All American. Was one of the big reasons we got to #2 putting up 11.5 sacks and 21.5 TFL's in the first 6 games that year.

3rd year: Matt Grothe - probably still the most iconic Bull as the leader of the team in the years we we're most nationally relevant. 3-0 vs UCF. Led us to some huge wins that changed the programs perception including @ #7 WVU in 2006, @ #17 Auburn in 2007, #5 WVU in 2007, and #13 Kansas in 2008. Led us to our first 2 ever bowl wins as well.

4th year: Quinton Flowers - the most exciting player in USF history. holds most the records at QB and led us to our 2 best seasons in program history.

I personally don't think anyone else deserves it yet. Disagree with any choices or think any others deserve it?

• Like 1
  • Go Bulls! 3

• Topic Count:  109
  • Content Count:  21,009
  • Days Won:  38

3 hours ago, bulloni said:

With our own OCS we can finally start a ring of honor. Limit it to 1 person per year tops and do a ceremony at halftime of a game. Don't do it on homecoming so it adds another game to the schedule each year with some added fanfare to look forward to.

1st year: Jim Leavitt - there has been some teasing pointing to him and the school reconciling a bit. does he deserve a statue or the field named after him? No. But opening up the ring of honor with him would be deserved and a cool gesture.

2nd year: George Selvie - without a doubt the most decorated player in Bulls history as a 2 time All American. Was one of the big reasons we got to #2 putting up 11.5 sacks and 21.5 TFL's in the first 6 games that year.

3rd year: Matt Grothe - probably still the most iconic Bull as the leader of the team in the years we we're most nationally relevant. 3-0 vs UCF. Led us to some huge wins that changed the programs perception including @ #7 WVU in 2006, @ #17 Auburn in 2007, #5 WVU in 2007, and #13 Kansas in 2008. Led us to our first 2 ever bowl wins as well.

4th year: Quinton Flowers - the most exciting player in USF history. holds most the records at QB and led us to our 2 best seasons in program history.

I personally don't think anyone else deserves it yet. Disagree with any choices or think any others deserve it?

This would be quite fun.  I would pick those games to travel in.

• Group:  TBP Subscriber
  • Topic Count:  19
  • Content Count:  3,388
  • Days Won:  3

5 hours ago, bulloni said:

I'm sure you could plug some of the OG players in the #5 slot.

• Like 1

• Group:  Admin
  • Topic Count:  13,332
  • Content Count:  96,987
  • Days Won:  469

Moderator note:  This rapidly got lost in the Of OCS Interest thread, so I moved the lead and subsequent posts here for further discussion.  It may take four years to come to an agreement not on the "if or when" of a ring of honor type recognition but who would be considered and in what priority. 

• Like 1

• Group:  TBP Subscriber III
  • Topic Count:  1,748
  • Content Count:  17,454
  • Days Won:  13

Others that I would consider

Anthony Henry

Kawkia Mitchell

Mike Jenkins

Marlon Mack

I would leave JPP off the list even though he had the best season out of all of them in School history. But a one and done guy does not go into a Ring of Honor.

Edited by flsportsfan83
  • Upvote 1

8 minutes ago, flsportsfan83 said:

Others that I would consider

Anthony Henry

Kawkia Mitchell

Mike Jenkins

Marlon Mack

I would leave JPP off the list even though he had the best season out of all of them in School history. But a one and done guy does not go into a Ring of Honor.

Agreed on JPP. I'd be surprised though if there isn't some type of wall in the stadium that highlights every USF player that played in the NFL though. Lot of fringe guys for the ring of honor would end up on there

22 minutes ago, flsportsfan83 said:

So if Bohanon stopped at USF for this season, went undefeated, won the AAC then a National Championship (where Cincy could not), we'd just say thanks and bye-bye Gerry?

RIng of Honor?  Maybe Bohanon Stadium!!!  

6 minutes ago, Brad said:

So if Bohanon stopped at USF for this season, went undefeated, won the AAC then a National Championship (where Cincy could not), we'd just say thanks and bye-bye Gerry?

RIng of Honor?  Maybe Bohanon Stadium!!!  

Brings up the question, what's the qualifier for someone to get a statue built outside the OCS? I think at some power schools it seems to be a Heisman trophy for players and a national championship for coaches. Not sure either is possible here.

If we had a QB have a lights out season and be conference player of the year, win us the conference championship, and win us a new years bowl game I'd say **** it and build the statue.

If a coach was here 15 years and won 3 conference championships and the program was clearly in a better spot than he found it I'd say build the statue.

Expanding the topic a little...  I think one thing we can start with that should have 100% support is an honor (plaque or something) to the OGs: 

The Original Group (OGs), the first 14 USF football players that hit the practice field in 1996 for a season of practice only and 
played through the following first four seasons in program history, 1997-2000: Ryan Benjamin (LS), Otis Dixon (RB), Edwin Greene (DB), 
Shawn Hay (DE), Steve Hatley (DE), Anthony Henry (DB), Charlie Jackson (WR), Roy Manns (DB), Vassay Marc (LB), Leon Matthews (WR), Cory Porter (WR), Joe Sipp (OL), Marshall Smith (LB) and Rafael Williams (RB).

• Upvote 1
  • Go Bulls! 2

• Group:  TBP Subscriber
  • Topic Count:  71
  • Content Count:  12,264
  • Days Won:  25

Bj Daniels

Andre Davis