• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

Bulls will have open competition for QB

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  43
  • Content Count:  2,567
  • Days Won:  3

14 minutes ago, BulledOver said:

Agree with some comments above. McC has yet to show he is a top level D-1 QB. Yes, lots of variables can be stated that had negative effect on his chances to make good plays. Marsh oddly, is the most senior QB we have and yep again, he showed little to no improvement last year. I got the feeling last season that CJS was "all in" on McC and possibly had blinders on when it came to the other QB's. Now, we have some high school contenders, are they talented enough to take on the D-1 world?? Stay tuned...were still in the "who know's" world of USF football. 

He was the best available last year, and not by much. I think our fan base was excited with the mobility and his ability to extend play. He struggled with decision making though.

• Upvote 1

• Group:  Moderator
  • Topic Count:  1,615
  • Content Count:  74,669
  • Days Won:  424

3 hours ago, bullstampede9922 said:

Unless we have another Quinton Flowers, I expect to hear this every year.

Personally, I don't think you need a GOAT to not have an open competition at qb every year. Not having an established qb going into the next year is never really a good thing. Right now it's out of necessity for us but it probably wouldn't bode real well if we're in the same position this time next year.

• Topic Count:  176
  • Content Count:  8,612
  • Days Won:  28

3 hours ago, bowman1 said:

Ok - do it up in the Spring, as long as CJS goes into Fall Camp with a clear #1 (unlike the past 2 years)

Not sure what he has seen in Marsh - he has not shown much when given an opportunity 

He had a clear #1 last year and we all know how that turned out.  He didn’t even make it through 3 full quarters before being yanked.  I’ve completely disconnected from offseason hype.  I’m waiting on the fall when real bullets are flying before passing judgement.

• Upvote 1

• Topic Count:  119
  • Content Count:  6,562
  • Days Won:  28

I have a buddy who has a son that playa H.S football and is a QB. He's been to many QB camps because of his son and seen Byrum Brown in person. Him and his son stated that he will be our starter the next 4 years. When they found out I was a USF fan they went on and on about him. From looking at his stats and film, I like him better than McClain. Im also not ruling out Marsh. If he can simply improve his accuracy, the sky is the limit for him and our receivers. I like this open competition.

• Upvote 2

• Topic Count:  7
  • Content Count:  10,893
  • Days Won:  67

48 minutes ago, Gatorbull325 said:

I have a buddy who has a son that playa H.S football and is a QB. He's been to many QB camps because of his son and seen Byrum Brown in person. Him and his son stated that he will be our starter the next 4 years. When they found out I was a USF fan they went on and on about him. From looking at his stats and film, I like him better than McClain. Im also not ruling out Marsh. If he can simply improve his accuracy, the sky is the limit for him and our receivers. I like this open competition.

He was not recruited by anyone of note, runs a 4.8, not bad but not sure how elusive he is.  Decent length and slight, avg arm from what I can tell.  Overall not all that excited about him, hope he proves me wrong.  Marsh showed very little progress YOY and not sure he is more than a big kid with a big arm and no accuracy with poor decision making.  I still think our best bet is Timmy if he can develop YOY, athletic skills are Q esque. if he doesn’t then we are in for a **** show once again. 

• Group:  Moderator
  • Topic Count:  1,615
  • Content Count:  74,669
  • Days Won:  424

59 minutes ago, Gatorbull325 said:

Hope they're right  ..... but also remember another QB camp wunderkind we had here where it didn't transfer over to the real world. Often intangibles play a big part in a qb's success, like with Q, and agree a bit with Frisco that Timmy may still be our best option if he improves like many do from the first to second year.

• Topic Count:  152
  • Content Count:  19,395
  • Days Won:  233

15 minutes ago, Dave_Glaser said:

It's funny to me that some of you expected McClain to be a "top level DI quarterback" last year. He was a freaking true freshman just a few months out of high school. THE BEST true freshman we've ever put out there behind center. We'll see, but I'll bet big $$$ that he's our starter for the next few years and will be one of the better ones we've had.

I mean, he's probably already the 6th best QB we've ever had.

• Topic Count:  147
  • Content Count:  19,269
  • Days Won:  255

2 minutes ago, JTrue said:

I mean, he's probably already the 6th best QB we've ever had.

Is this a good time to point out that CJS is our 6th best coach ?

• Haha 3

• Group:  TBP Subscriber
  • Topic Count:  19
  • Content Count:  3,410
  • Days Won:  3

I got my $ on McClain retaining the starting job and improving from last year.  He clearly has the skills.  The football knowledge/education/decision making (whatever you want to call it) will improve with every year and we will be unstoppable on offense when he is a senior.  Unless he completely takes a step back or gets injured, you stick with your starter from last year.  CJS nonsense is coach speak.  He wants McClain to work as hard and learn as much as possible.