• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

Weis Jr to Ole Miss

• Group:  Moderator
  • Topic Count:  1,610
  • Content Count:  74,524
  • Days Won:  422

4 minutes ago, USFBULL_08 said:

Nah he was the best option. However, blaming the OC for calling RPO plays when the offense is an RPO based system is dense.

Forgot who said it earlier, but separating play calling and execution needs a closer look. From my amateur view, a freshmen with an inaccurate arm and trouble reading defenses leads to limited options on play calls. Add in injuries, substitutions, etc...

A very knowledgeable person ...... it's pretty superficial to say the offensive play calling was really bad without doing a thorough breakdown on the called plays and the execution of the said plays. It's just easier to take the simpler route of the oc sucked so good riddance. Weis wasn't a perfect play caller, not sure there are any out there, but I'm guessing that poor execution of designed plays was more often the culprit than poorly called plays.

• Upvote 3

• Group:  TBP Subscriber III
  • Topic Count:  4,734
  • Content Count:  37,580
  • Days Won:  29

34 minutes ago, Peatearpan said:

People saying no to Shaun King because he isn’t currently coaching, where was Shoop before we hired him?

An analyst is a coach, just can't call them one in college - only can have so many coaches.

I have no problem with King 

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  365
  • Content Count:  6,466
  • Days Won:  35

6 minutes ago, Triple B said:

A very knowledgeable person ...... it's pretty superficial to say the offensive play calling was really bad without doing a thorough breakdown on the called plays and the execution of the said plays. It's just easier to take the simpler route of the oc sucked so good riddance. Weis wasn't a perfect play caller, not sure there are any out there, but I'm guessing that poor execution of designed plays was more often the culprit than poorly called plays.

Doesn't some of the responsibility for the poor execution fall on the OC/staff? I am not saying that Weiss was terrible, but he has accountability for some of the offensive struggles last year. Many of our best/biggest plays seemed to come on busted plays with Timmy scrambling. That credit doesn't really go to the OC. 

• Topic Count:  108
  • Content Count:  2,484
  • Days Won:  1

33 minutes ago, Peatearpan said:

People saying no to Shaun King because he isn’t currently coaching, where was Shoop before we hired him?

In an Analyst position at Miami, fresh from a job at Michigan...has been constantly employed in the college game. What other college has King coached at?

Here are some names being thrown around for the soon to be vacant position at Ole Miss before today:

Tee Martin, Baltimore Ravens WR coach

There is a few staffers at the Cup who think this is the no-brainer choice out of this group. Martin played at Tennessee with Peyton Manning and won a national championship as a quarterback. He’s a noted recruiter and has worked with Kiffin previously, and now he has NFL experience on the resume.

Joe Brady, former LSU offensive coordinator

This guy is either a young genius who maybe got in a little over his head too quickly, or he benefited massively from a once in a decade quarterback at LSU. I think there would be huge expectations from Brady if he signed on to come coach at Ole Miss under Kiffin.

Graham Harrell, former USC offensive coordinator

He’s a Mike Leach coaching tree guy, and he had success turning around North Texas’ passing attack previously. The last few years at USC were not necessarily remarkable, but maybe under a new head coach, Harrell would start lighting up scoreboards again.

Robert Gillespie, Alabama RB coach

If you have a few gray hairs like ya boi OMTB, you remember Gillespie running the football for Florida back in the day. He has since built a pretty impressive coaching career and has ridiculous recruiting ability. It may be unlikely for him to leave Bama after only one season, but he’s a Mississippi native who might be ready to come home.

Willy Korn, co-OC/QB coach Coastal Carolina

He has been at CCU for five years, and he’s only 32 years old, which may mean he’s ready for the big jump. The Chanticleers offense averaged close to 500 yards per game this season with a 7.62 yards per play average.

usa_today_17010884.jpg

Our hot board may have a few surprises on it.

6 minutes ago, BiggTipp said:

... What other college has King coached at?

As a coach:

Well, South Florida was 2017 to 2019.

Edited by E.T.

• Topic Count:  108
  • Content Count:  2,484
  • Days Won:  1

2 minutes ago, E.T. said:
As a coach:

Well, South Florida was 2017 to 2019.

So he has been out of college coaching for 2 years. Im not saying he would be a bad QB Coach but I dont want him as an OC. I also think if he really wanted to be in coaching that he would be coaching somewhere, just my opinion.

• Topic Count:  410
  • Content Count:  19,525
  • Days Won:  24

16 minutes ago, BullyPulpit said:

Doesn't some of the responsibility for the poor execution fall on the OC/staff? I am not saying that Weiss was terrible, but he has accountability for some of the offensive struggles last year. Many of our best/biggest plays seemed to come on busted plays with Timmy scrambling. That credit doesn't really go to the OC. 

Some, maybe.  But clearly there were lots of times when McClain held on to the ball way too long in an effort to make a play.  He made some brilliant plays, but also late game decisions that simply did not show command of clock vs down and what the priority should be.  All of this boils down to a true freshman QB.  If he doesn't progress this year, that is a different consideration.  But I don't see how you blame an OC for a true frosh QB making mistakes, as almost any true frosh not named Teddy Bridgewater will make.  Lane Kiffin may or may not be a jerk, but he has proven to be a terrific football coach.  He isn't going to hire Weis as OC because Weis sucks.

• Topic Count:  1,518
  • Content Count:  42,125
  • Days Won:  344

Let’s get an OC who runs the spread! 

• Topic Count:  23
  • Content Count:  10,199
  • Days Won:  2

1 hour ago, OcalaBull2 said:

Last time we did something similar to this, it didn’t work out well at all 

Bell? He was from division 2...even a bigger jump.

Scott cant afford to hire someone learning the job...he will go after someone with OC experience. 

Will be interesting week or so.

Edited by Bulls On Parade