• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

• Group:  TBP Subscriber III
  • Topic Count:  683
  • Content Count:  7,632
  • Days Won:  6

16 hours ago, Ricky the Bull said:

Interesting that this game (Dec 4, 1970) is not in the Gators record books.  Hmmmm...

site.png

The official 1970-71 Men's Basketball schedule for the Florida Gators Gators

• Group:  Bull Backers
  • Topic Count:  195
  • Content Count:  6,747
  • Days Won:  3

13 minutes ago, 79 Bull said:

Interesting that this game (Dec 4, 1970) is not in the Gators record books.  Hmmmm...

It is also mysteriously absent (just ask Agent Mulder) from the USF record books as well: https://gousfbulls.com/sports/mens-basketball/opponent-history/university-of-florida/64.

However, the arbiter of all things both truthful and interwebby (wikipedia) has this to say:

"Before men's basketball became an official sport at USF, Athletic Director Richard Bowers and President John S. Allen approved of a freshman only squad to test the feasibility of bringing men's basketball to the University of South Florida. They played against freshman teams from other universities in the state as well as junior colleges. The team was a roaring success and won in their first ever game on December 4, 1970 against the University of Florida. The 1970–71 team finished with a 19–4 record and their popularity led to the approval of the varsity team. The 1970 USF basketball team is not listed the team media guide and 1971 is listed as the official founding of USF basketball, but this team was an integral part in helping the team that exists today come to be."

...the truth is out there! 

Edited by WoolyBully
  • Haha 1
  • Go Bulls! 1

• Topic Count:  582
  • Content Count:  22,678
  • Days Won:  108

2 hours ago, BulledOver said:

They referenced the Princeton O saying that CBG had switched to that offense this year. I thght it interesting since they pretty much look like they did last season. Lots of ball passing/dribbling/screens around the arc and very little attacking the lane. I'm prob missing some key component?? Losing 2 games to teams we should have beaten handily doesn't show much improvement. 

If we're talking about the same offense it went out with the shot clock in college hoops.

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  86
  • Content Count:  17,061
  • Days Won:  19

This hurts. But at the end of the season we will need to let him go unless something changes quickly 

• Topic Count:  58
  • Content Count:  3,576

2 minutes ago, CousinRicky said:

If we're talking about the same offense it went out with the shot clock in college hoops.

No, the game announcers were talking about it during the play-by break. Like I said in previous post they were talking about CBG-USF-Princeton Offense ?? I hadn't heard that before. That's all I know (not much) you can try beating it out of me but I wont tell you anything else....Maybe someone on here heard it also. Only reason I recall their conversation was the comment struck me as odd. Thats It..

• Group:  Moderator
  • Topic Count:  1,612
  • Content Count:  74,537
  • Days Won:  422

15 minutes ago, BulledOver said:

No, the game announcers were talking about it during the play-by break. Like I said in previous post they were talking about CBG-USF-Princeton Offense ?? I hadn't heard that before. That's all I know (not much) you can try beating it out of me but I wont tell you anything else....Maybe someone on here heard it also. Only reason I recall their conversation was the comment struck me as odd. Thats It..

Any idea approximately what part of the game you heard it. Replay should still be up on Plus ...

5 hours ago, Triple B said:

Any idea approximately what part of the game you heard it. Replay should still be up on Plus ...

Wasn't last one SC St it was the Auburn game-I do believe? Early on they were talking about BG and recent transfers, all of them getting use  to playing together, etc. Then he spun into talking about BG new offense and then mentioned princeton. Maybe just call BG and ask him?? what did they mean...My wife was there too so she can attest to it if this goes to court...................

i think my point was lost on this since. After the SC loss I was disappointed that the offense looked exactly like last season since i was under impression that it was something new.  

• Topic Count:  132
  • Content Count:  10,380
  • Days Won:  18

On 12/4/2021 at 12:29 PM, jjlovecub said:

It’s just old. The one Stan Heath tourney run was one of my favorite seasons. It doesn’t seem to matter who we bring in we just can’t field a competitive/ team that can make a run. Please don’t cite the CBI year, I mean a real run. Heck we don’t even have to make the tourney. I just want to talk like we could make it. 

2012 root canal defense. Not necessarily fun to watch, but they played great team defense.

• Topic Count:  582
  • Content Count:  22,678
  • Days Won:  108

1 hour ago, BulledOver said:

Wasn't last one SC St it was the Auburn game-I do believe? Early on they were talking about BG and recent transfers, all of them getting use  to playing together, etc. Then he spun into talking about BG new offense and then mentioned princeton. Maybe just call BG and ask him?? what did they mean...My wife was there too so she can attest to it if this goes to court...................

Not trying to beat anything out to you. Just pointing out that the back cut offense they ran was in the 60s - 70s and there was no shot clock.  Don't see anything we're running that looks remotely like that, to my untrained eye. But I did live near Princeton and I watched them whenever I could keeping in mind there weren't 80 games per night on TV. 

Do you remember if the announcer was some old guy?  That is like a Larry Brown or Hubie Brown reference.  The Princeton offense had some similarities to the Jack Kraft motion offense at Villanova around that same time.