• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

Conference realignment "Rumors" "tweets" "etc"

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  604
  • Content Count:  16,397
  • Days Won:  43

2 minutes ago, MMW said:

I have 4 kids between the age of 17-21 so I have looked at a lot of schools in Florida.  My wife and I discouraged USF due to it being too close to home.  If I was being honest, another reason was the lack of student life on (no OCS) and off - no night life or college town shops or restaurants.  You step off campus and you are in suitcase city or temple terrace.

With the AAU status, new dorms, new stadium and the new development that comes with it USF is shaping up to be a near perfect school (I am happy to list why I feel that way).  That is with or without an ACC invite.  

Heck yeah! Pretty much spot on. One of the main reasons for me wanting and hoping USF would get an OCS. It should develop and grow the town around USF. Going to be interesting watching it all develop.

• Upvote 1

• Group:  Moderator
  • Topic Count:  1,615
  • Content Count:  74,629
  • Days Won:  424

2 hours ago, ahoyboy said:

It would be quite a shock if arrangements were made to build the stadium without complete confidence in a “move up.” 

1 hour ago, MMW said:

I can't imagine there are any guarantees in this environment.  I wouldn't be surprised if they were told not having a stadium hurt their chances.

Exactly. If there was a guarantee, I'm guessing they make it a little larger capacity .... it was time no matter the conference.

• Upvote 1

• Group:  TBP Subscriber III
  • Topic Count:  1,834
  • Content Count:  5,473
  • Days Won:  13

20 hours ago, Mike Stuben said:

If they lose 2, I bet they only backfill 1. (They are on an odd number currently). 

USF or UConn. 

But, if the Big 12 can't add any of the ACC, they may be more in play for us. 

They've been an odd number overall since 2014... thanks to ND.  Adding SMU made them an even number... except in football --> which was your point about being an odd number currently.

I bet they lose 2 and add 3... WSU and OSU to help with Stanford and Cal ... (on paper, a merger with the Pac 12 which lets the NCAA units transfer)... and then I hope that 3rd is USF to keep two teams in Florida ... but I suspect adding New Orleans might have just as much appeal.

• Group:  TBP Subscriber III
  • Topic Count:  685
  • Content Count:  7,646
  • Days Won:  6

1 hour ago, Bull Matrix said:

Heck yeah! Pretty much spot on. One of the main reasons for me wanting and hoping USF would get an OCS. It should develop and grow the town around USF. Going to be interesting watching it all develop.

I really hope the Claw redevelopment is for a "USF Main Street" with shops, bars, movies and food joints for the students.  Easy walk over Fletcher on a new pedestrian bridge (hopefully not the FIU contractor) to a safe and lively area that students would want to hang at.  I've said before, other than Greenery and that area at one time, USF has really had no college town environment for students. 

• Upvote 3

• Group:  TBP Subscriber
  • Topic Count:  71
  • Content Count:  12,511
  • Days Won:  25

7 minutes ago, 79 Bull said:

I really hope the Claw redevelopment is for a "USF Main Street" with shops, bars, movies and food joints for the students.  Easy walk over Fletcher on a new pedestrian bridge (hopefully not the FIU contractor) to a safe and lively area that students would want to hang at.  I've said before, other than Greenery and that area at one time, USF has really had no college town environment for students. 

Super Troopers Yes GIF by Searchlight Pictures

• Topic Count:  1
  • Content Count:  403
  • Days Won:  2

3 hours ago, Cubanbull said:

Not entirely correct. Oklahoma and Texas never signed that 99 year membership. That was done with the new contract by the remaining members and the newcomers to stabilize the league and promising they weren’t going to leave. Utah got a special deal where they didn’t sign to that. How would that affect anyone outside of Utah trying to leave remains to be seen.

Not true at all. The 99 year membership portion was added back in 2012, with both Texas and Oklahoma signing onto it.

https://www.si.com/college/2023/02/03/big-12-sec-texas-longhorns-oklahoma-sooners-split-explainer

"There are two key issues in any early exit from Texas and Oklahoma:

The grant of rights/TV contract: The two schools are contractually bound to the league through the end of the 2024–25 academic year via what is termed a grant of rights, which coincides with the league’s television deal with ESPN and Fox.

The 99-year agreement: In 2012, the Big 12 schools entered into a 99-year agreement to remain together, a deal that comes with an exit fee of two years’ worth of gross revenue, or about $80 million each."

All this to say, the 99 year membership clause isn't a scary insurmountable obstacle to leaving and Utah not having it isn't some smoking gun.

• Topic Count:  295
  • Content Count:  6,827
  • Days Won:  22

6 minutes ago, UCF_rustbucket said:

Not true at all. The 99 year membership portion was added back in 2012, with both Texas and Oklahoma signing onto it.

https://www.si.com/college/2023/02/03/big-12-sec-texas-longhorns-oklahoma-sooners-split-explainer

"There are two key issues in any early exit from Texas and Oklahoma:

The grant of rights/TV contract: The two schools are contractually bound to the league through the end of the 2024–25 academic year via what is termed a grant of rights, which coincides with the league’s television deal with ESPN and Fox.

The 99-year agreement: In 2012, the Big 12 schools entered into a 99-year agreement to remain together, a deal that comes with an exit fee of two years’ worth of gross revenue, or about $80 million each."

All this to say, the 99 year membership clause isn't a scary insurmountable obstacle to leaving and Utah not having it isn't some smoking gun.

Well interesting that your link says that the 99 year agreement meant an exit fee of two years revenue or $80 million. We do not know what the new 99 year agreement exit fee agreement but assuming is the same then that’s about similar 80-90 million exit fee.

The fact that this is NOT written in Utah’s agreement means they aren’t bound by it.

Regardless the reality is that the Big12 and ACC revenues are close enough that it really makes little sense for one going to the other.

WV fits the ACC geographically but that’s about it. Academically they do not and if you look as who the ACC has added that means something. Cal, Stanfordcand SMU are certainly better academically than WV.

Would a Big12 team under that 99 year deal pay 80 million to move to ACC? Doubt it.

• Topic Count:  74
  • Content Count:  2,465
  • Days Won:  19

39 minutes ago, 79 Bull said:

Big picture ..... 

I hope they turn the Claw into a giant parking lot, make almost all commuter students park there and take shuttles onto the main campus ......

Then, I hope they take some of the parking lots on the main campus, and turn them into that USF main street, with restaurants, bars and activities. (UCF area around the arena is great, would love to see something like that on campus. 

So, I love the idea of the main street .... but why not put it near the resident halls, and just move some of the parking to the more remote area. 

Edit to add propose site of that main street .... lots 17A, 17B, & 37 https://www.usf.edu/administrative-services/parking/documents/parkingmap.pdf 

Edited by Mike Stuben
  • Go Bulls! 1

• Topic Count:  39
  • Content Count:  2,117
  • Days Won:  6

1 hour ago, 79 Bull said:

This is the first I am hearing of this but it would be awesome. 

The Claw is rarely used and maybe USF Golf could make a deal with the Tampa Palms Country Club to use their course.  It is right next door.