• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

Conference realignment "Rumors" "tweets" "etc"

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  130
  • Content Count:  1,867
  • Days Won:  2

3 hours ago, Gismo said:

Houston, hmmm, do they add money? I thought this was all about money and since the Houston market is owned with Texas already I'm curious as to why else Houston. 

Houston adds FedEx money. They've been VERY vocal about that.

• Upvote 1

• Topic Count:  23
  • Content Count:  3,685
  • Days Won:  14

51 minutes ago, NAM37 said:

Houston adds FedEx money. They've been VERY vocal about that.

^ Thought that was Memphis

• Topic Count:  18
  • Content Count:  8,878
  • Days Won:  28

1 hour ago, TallyBull said:

^ Thought that was Memphis

Houston brings oil/gas industry sponsors.

• Topic Count:  571
  • Content Count:  2,816
  • Days Won:  15

2 hours ago, footnfan1 said:

This is the guy I listen to, for a balanced approach to expansion and why. Yes, he is  a gator, and he is the sports voice of UCF, but he for me is the most informative. Much better in my opinion than those that speak without listing sources, just working for clicks etc. This is a pretty good recap of what he thinks is the background to most recent expansion news.

https://player.fm/series/the-beat-of-sports-106338/the-best-of-the-beat-of-sports-wednesday-vxTykz61Okc3iiO8

Thanks for the link.

He took it to the next level, which I hadn't thought about: under bidding. Who will take less to get in?

Each new B12 school gets 30 million from the networks, but the B12 will pay way less in their conference distributions (leaving more for the former schools). So, now, which schools are willing to take the least to get in?

---------------

My opinion: They will add four new schools to the B12, too much money on the table to just add two. USF will get in. I give 85%.

Why 85%? After you remove the first two, let's say Cincy and Houston/Memphis, it gets silly to ignore the USF-ucf combo.

And I bet USF-ucf are willing to bend over to get in because of the large student population and the student fees footing the bill.

Home attendance, branding, and everything else that comes from being in a P5 will offset getting wayyy less from the B12 conference shares. Why? USF & ucf are big universities with all the infrastructure already in place; they don't have gaping needs like some of the other schools.

The B12 schools will make out like pirates. And the Florida schools will get a better flag to play sports under, a chance to build into P5 status.

No other combo after the first two schools are taken offers this much potential to the B12. Don't forget recruiting in Florida and the Florida TV market, once USF and ucf are legit P5 programs.

• Content Count:  3,685
  • Days Won:  14

^ Makes sense logically. But this process may or may not be governed by logic.

• Upvote 1

• Topic Count:  2,332
  • Content Count:  21,305
  • Days Won:  10

Read this article.  Guy makes a point about where will the program be in 10 to 20 years.  Well add money to USF and the school explodes to a new level.  Don't think you will see that growth from schools like Colorado State.    To me he is talking about upside to the program and that is about population growth and potential.  Both we have.  

http://www.kansas.com/sports/college/big-12/kansas-state/article91303507.html

2. The most important factor in adding a school currently outside the Power 5 is where it projects to be in 10 or 20 years, not where it is today. That’s a difficult thing to predict, but it helps explain why a school like Colorado State (located in a bordering state within the Denver TV market and a new football stadium on the way) is viewed more positively by some than, say, Houston or BYU. This experiment reminds me a little of the NBA Draft. Potential means more than current standing.

• Topic Count:  18
  • Content Count:  8,878
  • Days Won:  28

1 hour ago, Rizman said:

Read this article.  Guy makes a point about where will the program be in 10 to 20 years.  Well add money to USF and the school explodes to a new level.  Don't think you will see that growth from schools like Colorado State.    To me he is talking about upside to the program and that is about population growth and potential.  Both we have.  

http://www.kansas.com/sports/college/big-12/kansas-state/article91303507.html

2. The most important factor in adding a school currently outside the Power 5 is where it projects to be in 10 or 20 years, not where it is today. That’s a difficult thing to predict, but it helps explain why a school like Colorado State (located in a bordering state within the Denver TV market and a new football stadium on the way) is viewed more positively by some than, say, Houston or BYU. This experiment reminds me a little of the NBA Draft. Potential means more than current standing.

Your/his point is relevant for sure. Investments in the athletic departments/programs will carry more weight than sheer student population growth. I think they'll tend to look at how much we sink into athletics as opposed to our other schools/research. If athletics only accounts for 10% of the total investments for USF over the last 10 years, they probably won't care if we project 100K students. They'll also want to see that we invest in academic programs, I'm sure, but that's not going to be their focus here.

• Topic Count:  2,332
  • Content Count:  21,305
  • Days Won:  10

51 minutes ago, raptorcj said:

Your/his point is relevant for sure. Investments in the athletic departments/programs will carry more weight than sheer student population growth. I think they'll tend to look at how much we sink into athletics as opposed to our other schools/research. If athletics only accounts for 10% of the total investments for USF over the last 10 years, they probably won't care if we project 100K students. They'll also want to see that we invest in academic programs, I'm sure, but that's not going to be their focus here.

USF has been investing every year since Judy showed up.   Alumni base will only grow.  

• Upvote 2

• Content Count:  10,199
  • Days Won:  2

Even though I am biased USF and UCF make sense, the potential really is huge...actually better than Cincinnati.

I like our chances if 4 teams added.

• Upvote 3

• Topic Count:  410
  • Content Count:  19,525
  • Days Won:  24

21 hours ago, Rizman said:

This would have been interesting.

Big East merges with Big-12 - Discussed 5 years ago.   

http://www.sbnation.com/college-football/2014/6/11/5800668/big-12-big-east-merger-conference-realignment

It was interesting, and discussed on TBP.  The scenario was looking like a done deal until the Pac-12 voted they did not want to get ******** by Texas and the Longhorns stayed in the B12.