• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

Conference realignment "Rumors" "tweets" "etc"

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  89
  • Content Count:  1,803
  • Days Won:  0

36 minutes ago, Apis Bull said:

What really bothers me is that we are looked at as lesser than the P5, when there are several P5 schools that would have no shot if they weren't already in their perspective conferences.

The commentators and pundits were treating our win against Syracuse as an upset because they were a P5 team. We've been beating up on cuse for years.

• Upvote 1

• Topic Count:  89
  • Content Count:  1,803
  • Days Won:  0

BYU is the deciding factor here I believe and they are willing to do football only http://espn.go.com/college-football/story/_/id/17127391/byu-notifies-big-12-interest-joining-conference-open-discussing-football-only-option.

If they go Big 12 UCF and USF is likely left out. They will then probably go Houston, BYU, Cincy, and either Boise (football only) or add anther P5 team interested in jumping ship.This will leave our league depleted and likely lower our bowl game options and league negotiating power. I will cringe if our best bowl is in St. Pete going forward...

Edited by bullcocky101

• Topic Count:  23
  • Content Count:  3,685
  • Days Won:  14

52 minutes ago, Apis Bull said:

What really bothers me is that we are looked at as lesser than the P5, when there are several P5 schools that would have no shot if they weren't already in their perspective conferences.

Wait - you mean Wake Forest doesn't deliver the North Carolina market?

5 minutes ago, bullcocky101 said:

BYU is the deciding factor here I believe and they are willing to do football only http://espn.go.com/college-football/story/_/id/17127391/byu-notifies-big-12-interest-joining-conference-open-discussing-football-only-option.

If they go Big 12 UCF and USF is likely left out. They will then probably go Houston, BYU, Cincy, and either Boise (football only) or add anther P5 team interested in jumping ship.This will leave our league depleted and likely lower our bowl game options and league negotiating power. I will cringe if our best bowl is in St. Pete going forward...

If UH, Cincy, and BYU are the first three choices, Memphis may very well be the fourth choice.

• Topic Count:  571
  • Content Count:  2,816
  • Days Won:  15

16 minutes ago, bullcocky101 said:

Here are somethings to consider.

Out of all the candidate schools, BYU probably is the richest and most stable on its own. This means BYU will not bend that much when it comes to money and B12 restrictions. We all know that the B12 intends to cash in on this windfall. Well, BYU will not take it in the rear to get in.

Also, partial membership might not fulfill the TV agreements with ESPN and Fox. I tried but couldn't find the documentation of the agreement online.

Finally, each way from BYU to WVU is around 2,000 miles. And since BYU doesn't believe in electricity and technology, it will take them forever to get there by mule!

Hate to be negative, but it doesn't look like things are breaking our way.  Didn't see UH getting in because there are already 5 Texas schools in the P5.  But there's apparently more solidarity in Texas than in Florida.  We've only ever gotten arrogance from UF, FSU, and Miami.

If we don't get the nod, then we'll just need to win the G5 spot every year.

• Topic Count:  571
  • Content Count:  2,816
  • Days Won:  15

WVU will not jump for joy at the idea of BYU joining the B12.

[...]The West Virginia men's and women's basketball teams logged 22,580 frequent flier miles to and from their Big 12 opponents. The toughest part of the schedule for the football team was in October when it faced back-to-back trips to the state of Texas. There are clearly concerns over the travel and how it can be better. Many times, WVU played late games in the Midwest and did not return to Morgantown until 5 a.m. or later on a weekday the following morning. There were other instances where, for example, WVU played at TCU on Saturday and had to return to Morgantown after the game before leaving about 48 hours later for Baylor, which is just a two hour drive from TCU.

"We recognize that it is not easy to come back to the Midwest as many times during the year as they have to," Bowlsby acknowledged. "In football, I think we learned it is hard to go to Texas twice on consecutive weekends. So, we need to schedule around that and we need to help."[...]

http://www.wvillustrated.com/story/21650890/big-12-commissioner-discusses-wvu-travel-expansion

• Topic Count:  25
  • Content Count:  276
  • Days Won:  1

48 minutes ago, TimBulla said:

WVU will not jump for joy at the idea of BYU joining the B12.

This is exactly why USF and UCF help out here. WVU can kill two birds with one stone with scheduling if they can hit both schools back to back, which you would imagine would get scheduling priority from the conference to make it work for WVU.

• Topic Count:  12
  • Content Count:  3,233
  • Days Won:  8

Some good press from Hookem-Horns. States that UConn and USF are the most valuable available programs and that USF while at #2, UCF is at #4. Houston is at #10 and ECU at #11. :icon_drink:

The Data comes from two previous Wall Street Journal stories.

http://www.hookem.com/2016/07/25/big-12-expansion-uconn-usf-lead-houston-bottom-athletics-worth-per-report/

Edited by Azmodi
  • Upvote 1

• Topic Count:  410
  • Content Count:  19,525
  • Days Won:  24

3 hours ago, Rizman said:

I know I want USF to get into the Big-12 for very selfish reasons but this reporter might was well say.  I am spinning this story so my car does not get keyed or even worse fire bombed by UCiF fans.   

No way in hell should UCF be rated over USF for inclusion into the Big-12.   It seems that the on-campus stadium is the difference maker.  Then, I would announce we are building one and start the effort.   Get some designs and clear the area.  

http://www.orlandosentinel.com/sports/os-big-12-expansion-matt-murschel-0725-20160724-column.html

Only someone that has never sat in Wobbling Wok would consider that a positive for UCF.

• Upvote 1