• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

Timmy McClain

• Group:  TBP Subscriber III
  • Topic Count:  4,751
  • Content Count:  37,666
  • Days Won:  29

12 hours ago, NewEnglandBull said:

Again with size and speed BYU has on defense it’s highly likely that we will have more than two QBs playing. The only way it might not happen is if we get the running game going. 

I am very hopeful for our running game Saturday night!

Go BULLS !!!

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  86
  • Content Count:  17,061
  • Days Won:  19

5 minutes ago, Paisa el Toro said:

Not only that, but there was a little Tomey and Kinnan consulting that helped Taggart fashion the offense to Flowers' skillset as well. Taggart was stubborn with offensive tweaks until this particular season.

This is not true. When we burned QF redshirt year there was no Kinnan nor Tomey on staff. And we went all spread while he was in there. It was not the Gulf Coast Offense, but it was not Stanford West Coast either. Taggart knew what he had in Flowers. It was the rest of us that didn't know.  

• Topic Count:  3
  • Content Count:  7,683
  • Days Won:  17

1 hour ago, CousinRicky said:

Just keep in mind that Flowers had a full year and into the 2nd year before he got close to be Flowers. Just saying to be patient with him.

This is true.  He was brought along slowly and took his lumps.   I just don't know what we are doing here.  "Fortin's the starter, McClain is the starter, not committed to McClain the starter, need to get Marsh reps,  still looking at what these guys can do,"  etc.  Just seems to be thrown to together without a real plan.   Hopefully it all works out for the better

• Group:  TBP Subscriber III
  • Topic Count:  583
  • Content Count:  22,715
  • Days Won:  109

9 minutes ago, chapelbull said:

This is true.  He was brought along slowly and took his lumps.   I just don't know what we are doing here.  "Fortin's the starter, McClain is the starter, not committed to McClain the starter, need to get Marsh reps,  still looking at what these guys can do,"  etc.  Just seems to be thrown to together without a real plan.   Hopefully it all works out for the better

Just look back to the year Flowers got his first start.  He didn't start until later in the year and, by most opinions, he didn't look ready that day.  His playbook was very limited.  Fortin had a year with this offense and was more prepared than a teenager that, I believe, did not come in January of this year.  Not saying he is better, but he was more prepared.  

Justin Fields isn't starting although he has much more upside than the starter (injuries aside).  It is an adjustment from college to pros just as it is from high school to college.  I think you need to let the season play out a little more before thinking the coaches don't know who to play.

Even going to the Gator game.  Their fans wanted the backup in. He looked great.  But then read something about the coaches saying he missing a read or coverage on a play.  Don't like Mullen, or the Gators, but I would assume he knows what to look for in QBs.

Edited by CousinRicky

• Topic Count:  132
  • Content Count:  10,380
  • Days Won:  18

11 minutes ago, DELdaBull said:

This is not true. When we burned QF redshirt year there was no Kinnan nor Tomey on staff. And we went all spread while he was in there. It was not the Gulf Coast Offense, but it was not Stanford West Coast either. Taggart knew what he had in Flowers. It was the rest of us that didn't know.  

I think you just proved my point. It wasn't until Kinnan was consulting that we got a more finalized version of the Gulf Coast that enabled Flowers better success. Prior to this, i saw more Stanford type West Coast.

• Topic Count:  96
  • Content Count:  4,078
  • Days Won:  14

16 minutes ago, Paisa el Toro said:

I think you just proved my point. It wasn't until Kinnan was consulting that we got a more finalized version of the Gulf Coast that enabled Flowers better success. Prior to this, i saw more Stanford type West Coast.

As I remember it, the turning point was when coach T. "let Flowers be Flowers".  That's when Q started to look magical every Saturday.

• Topic Count:  3
  • Content Count:  7,683
  • Days Won:  17

16 minutes ago, CousinRicky said:

Just look back to the year Flowers got his first start.  He didn't start until later in the year and, by most opinions, he didn't look ready that day.  His playbook was very limited.  Fortin had a year with this offense and was more prepared than a teenager that, I believe, did not come in January of this year.  Not saying he is better, but he was more prepared.  

No problem with this.  I get the bringing along slowly and making sure he is ready.  But now we start McClain and Fortin seems to be 3rd string as we put in Marsh to "get some reps".   Seems like a cluster not a plan to get McClain ready to be the man whenever he is ready.

• Topic Count:  86
  • Content Count:  17,061
  • Days Won:  19

5 minutes ago, Paisa el Toro said:

Yes, someone other than Flowers was in the game.. That QF freshman season ANYTIME he was in the game we went spread. ANYTIME. Yes, it wasn't until before his sophomore season that the GCO was finalized, but the basis was there. Anyone who says the GCO was not Taggart's hard work and ingenuity is being disingenuous. Did he have some help from someone he trusted? Of course. That's why he reached out to Kinnan. Tomey's career was made on the defensive side of the ball. So those saying he is the reason for our offensive success I just have to laugh. 

I just hope Scott and Weiss can be half as successful using and nurturing Timmy McClain as Taggart was with Quentin Flowers. We would have a QB worth watching for the next 3 or 4 years and a coach who doesn't need to be fired (a rarity for USF football)

• Topic Count:  147
  • Content Count:  19,270
  • Days Won:  255

I’m sold we should let McClain be Flowers 

• Upvote 1
  • Go Bulls! 1

• Topic Count:  365
  • Content Count:  6,466
  • Days Won:  35

49 minutes ago, chapelbull said:

This isn't the first sign.   Marsh mainly handed the ball off so you didn't really see much.  He should know what each guy can do and what the Plan A, B, and C is already.   That's my take.  Doesn't mean it all won't work out in the end.  I said before performance in the conference will be a much better indicator of where we are

Marsh was 0 for 3, with all of the passes coming on his first two drives, which were not successful. I think there was a drop or two in there, but CJS may have called some RPO type of plays for him to see how he reads the defense. Either way, Marsh and the offense weren't successful enough while he was out there for CJS to get a better look. Up 31 to 17 with 6 minutes left, running the ball and getting out of there was the best decision he could have made.