• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

GROUNDBREAKING!

• Group:  TBP Subscriber III
  • Topic Count:  207
  • Content Count:  3,458
  • Days Won:  19

1 minute ago, CousinRicky said:

Is Weist still available?

Right?  He has a better record in Alabama than Nick Saban.

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  7
  • Content Count:  10,891
  • Days Won:  67

8 minutes ago, SilverBull said:

I guess that depends on your long-term perspective of what constitutes success and your definition of a "bad hire."

Coach Tenure Seasons Games Record Win percentage Bowl record
Jim Leavitt 1997–2009 13 152 95–57 .625 3–2
Skip Holtz 2010–2012 3 37 16–21 .432 1–0
Willie Taggart 2013–2016 4 49 24–25 .490 0–1
T. J. Weist 2016 1 1 1–0 1.000 1–0
Charlie Strong 2017–2019 3 37 21–16 .568 1–1
Jeff Scott 2020–present 1 9 1-8 .111 N/A

A coach that leaves a program in a much worse position then when he arrived is a bad hire, a coach that leaves a program in a much better position then when he arrived is a good hire IMO.

• Upvote 1

• Topic Count:  147
  • Content Count:  19,266
  • Days Won:  255

2 minutes ago, Friscobull said:

A coach that leaves a program in a much worse position then when he arrived is a bad hire, a coach that leaves a program in a much better position then when he arrived is a good hire IMO.

What if we found one that manages to win more games than they lose and leaves the program in better position? You know kind of like the guy we started off with and fired and left us in such great shape that even CSH was able to have the closest thing to success since his departure.

• Topic Count:  207
  • Content Count:  3,458
  • Days Won:  19

6 minutes ago, Friscobull said:

OK then, under that definition, I would postulate they could all be deemed bad hires prior the the current coach and it remains to be seen for him.

• Group:  Moderator
  • Topic Count:  1,615
  • Content Count:  74,659
  • Days Won:  424

1 hour ago, Friscobull said:

1 hour ago, SilverBull said:

OK then, under that definition, I would postulate they could all be deemed bad hires prior the the current coach and it remains to be seen for him

I must be reading something wrong. You're saying that Willie left the program in a much worse position than when he arrived??

• Topic Count:  94
  • Content Count:  2,305
  • Days Won:  11

Remember last year, he had little time to recruit, one single practice before the pandemic shut everything down, and a toxic leftover culture from a coach who did no coaching and had no leadership skill to speak of. The year was known to players as a throwaway, which I know firsthand. This is really kinda year 1 when it comes to the X's and O's, whereas last year most coaches around the country had to bust tail just to help their players navigate all the pandemic stuff and very little investment comparable to a normal year could be pursued with respect to the details of football play. Can't be in the gym together, can't practice, can't go to class, all meetings on Zoom, etc. This year, the culture has changed because that has been a major focus and could be done around the pandemic stuff, and the roster won't be much different outside of the housecleaning losses. This is really comparable to a true year 1. Which is why I think folks need to be patient, and I don't expect year 3 will be a typical year 3. There won't be a magical turnaround year 3 because year 1 was a burner, year 2 is the true year 1, and year 3 is the true year 2. Give it time. The foundation is being set, if you pay close attention to the sidelines and the intangibles of the program.

• Topic Count:  147
  • Content Count:  19,266
  • Days Won:  255

1 minute ago, FazaUSF said:

Remember last year, he had little time to recruit, one single practice before the pandemic shut everything down, and a toxic leftover culture from a coach who did no coaching and had no leadership skill to speak of. The year was known to players as a throwaway, which I know firsthand. This is really kinda year 1 when it comes to the X's and O's, whereas last year most coaches around the country had to bust tail just to help their players navigate all the pandemic stuff and very little investment comparable to a normal year could be pursued with respect to the details of football play. Can't be in the gym together, can't practice, can't go to class, all meetings on Zoom, etc. This year, the culture has changed because that has been a major focus and could be done around the pandemic stuff, and the roster won't be much different outside of the housecleaning losses. This is really comparable to a true year 1. Which is why I think folks need to be patient, and I don't expect year 3 will be a typical year 3. There won't be a magical turnaround year 3 because year 1 was a burner, year 2 is the true year 1, and year 3 is the true year 2. Give it time. The foundation is being set, if you pay close attention to the sidelines and the intangibles of the program.

I think what you are missing is that the most important part of leadership is facing adversity, owning it and focusing on what you do control and how you can positively impact your current circumstances with what you do have. Our situation last season was not the worst in terms of practices, games, talent, Covid protocols, first year coaching or any other random series of issues you are going to face in life. What was however the worst by most independent evaluations is how CJS dealt with his adversity in comparison to the other first year Covid coaches and I’m not sure how many practices would have helped because the more games we played didn’t make a lot of parts look like more time with the coaching staff was going to positively impact anything. Last year was his year one, that he failed to capitalize on it is no one else’s fault but his own and if he believes that the world conspired to force he to be a complete and utter failure I’m actually shocked that he managed to win the game that he did. When you take a job from a person that got fired you take their problems and if you aren’t prepared for that on day one you are a bad hire.

• Topic Count:  176
  • Content Count:  8,612
  • Days Won:  28

While I agree with what you’re saying, I don’t know how much time we have.  realignment is coming fast and our on field performance the last 3 years has been putrid.  We need to show some real success quickly because right now we’re way behind other programs for B12 consideration.  I hate to go back to Scott Frost, but year 1 he went 6-6, year 2 undefeated.  I realize that’s a stretch, but we can’t be at year 3 with 5 or 6 wins.  The fan base will lose patience and our brand (what’s left of it) will be toast.  I don’t want to be here 5 years from now watching Oviedo play Ok State while we battle with UAB.  That will be the death of the program.

• Topic Count:  583
  • Content Count:  22,712
  • Days Won:  109

51 minutes ago, FazaUSF said:

Save your fingers for doing doctor things and not getting into it with Puc.  Your hands will thank you for it in the future. 😄

• Haha 2