• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

Michael Kelly speaking some truth

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  1,518
  • Content Count:  42,125
  • Days Won:  344

19 minutes ago, Brad said:

Looking?  Remember the n-word controversy McMurphy tried?  You are smarter than this. He “had it in for him” rightly to protect his program and players. 

No question he had it in for him. But  it all started when Brett questioned Leavitt about some coaching decisions. Then Jim embarrassed him at a press conference and it was gloves off. I just think some of this could have been avoided on the part of the coach. But yes, Brett is slimy. 

2 minutes ago, Brad said:

But usually skill. That’s why Alabama keeps the efforts separate.  

Skill certainly helps but with some sense of consistent common intelligence…especially when dealing with secondary stakeholders (and this may include ignoring them all together…like McMurphy). 

Edited by NewEnglandBull

7 minutes ago, Dave_Glaser said:

We’ve beaten this one to death before. My point was, he has not been hired as a head coach since, even with the remarkable job he did at USF. He’s been a vagabond, moving from assistant job to assistant job. Must be a reason, right? That Kansas State job should have been a no-brainer, right?

Which I find to be very telling. Perhaps if he was an offensive guru and not a defensive coach things would have been different for him. 

• Group:  Admin
  • Topic Count:  13,332
  • Content Count:  96,987
  • Days Won:  469

3 minutes ago, Dave_Glaser said:

We’ve beaten this one to death before. My point was, he has not been hired as a head coach since, even with the remarkable job he did at USF. Must be a reason, right? That Kansas State job should have been a no-brainer, right?

I think that’s a big part of it when you have that dude from CBS (?) doing stories on Joel Miller years later and yet we still don’t know why Miller died but we know he was a mess and had problems long before Jim Leavitt - including the crookedness of his dad and his thievery.  This is a partisan issue. There will never be an agreement. But I know that I enjoyed football far more 1997-2010 than I have in the last 10.  It’s been a disaster.  Some honesty from USF  may have been helpful in solving this correctly.  

10 minutes ago, NewEnglandBull said:

No question he had it in for him. But  it all started when Brett questioned Leavitt about some coaching decisions. Then Jim embarrassed him at a press conference and it was gloves off. I just think some of this could have been avoided on the part of the coach. But yes, Brett is slimy. 

It started with Brett.  He was a **** like anyone else at the Trib had been when it came to USF Football.  Brett was no homeboy like Bianchi, he was the opposite.

15 minutes ago, Dave_Glaser said:

We’ve beaten this one to death before. My point was, he has not been hired as a head coach since, even with the remarkable job he did at USF. He’s been a vagabond, moving from assistant job to assistant job. Six jobs in 10 years. Must be a reason, right? That Kansas State job should have been a no-brainer, huh?

USF was his first (and only) HC gig.  Would have been kindly in the run up to national exposure if his administration had supported him. 

1 minute ago, Brad said:

It started with Brett.  He was a **** like anyone else at the Trib had been when it came to USF Football.  Brett was no homeboy like Bianchi, he was the opposite.

Agreed with you, but I am not sure CJL’s response was the right way to go. We will never know what would have become of our program. 

• Topic Count:  152
  • Content Count:  19,395
  • Days Won:  233

5 minutes ago, Brad said:

I think that’s a big part of it when you have that dude from CBS (?) doing stories on Joel Miller years later and yet we still don’t know why Miller died but we know he was a mess and had problems long before Jim Leavitt - including the crookedness of his dad and his thievery.  This is a partisan issue. There will never be an agreement. But I know that I enjoyed football far more 1997-2010 than I have in the last 10.  It’s been a disaster.  Some honesty from USF  may have been helpful in solving this correctly.  

Isn't cause of death usually just something that's conveyed to the family when it is not part of a criminal case and if they choose to make that public, that's their call?

• Topic Count:  353
  • Content Count:  4,092
  • Days Won:  56

2 minutes ago, Brad said:

No doubt, the Leavitt era was the best era so far, by far - even though we never did close the deal on any particular season during that time. But my gut tells me Jim would have imploded eventually. The dude is wired different.

It’s hard to blame Brett, although he greatly profited from consorting with the under 21 crowd.  It’s on Gen and Wooly.  They failed.  

1 minute ago, JTrue said:

Isn't cause of death usually just something that's conveyed to the family when it is not part of a criminal case and if they choose to make that public, that's their call?

Doesn’t matter.  We still don’t know.