• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

Potential replacements for MBB

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  7
  • Content Count:  10,846
  • Days Won:  67

1 hour ago, NewEnglandBull said:

Great point and this is what happened last time. We did not have anyone better than BG interested in the job so that’s why he got the job. I suspect this time it might be even worse with this albatross hanging around the program. 

That is BS, the job pays 7 digits a year which is more than twice what many of these smaller programs pay.  If we select the wrong guy than that is on Kelly, not sure why you guys are giving people an out before they start, what a defeatist attitude.

• Group:  Moderator
  • Topic Count:  1,610
  • Content Count:  74,511
  • Days Won:  422

1 hour ago, NewEnglandBull said:

Great point and this is what happened last time. We did not have anyone better than BG interested in the job so that’s why he got the job. I suspect this time it might be even worse with this albatross hanging around the program. 

Could definitely be worse. If memory serves me correctly, a few of the departures were after CBG was signed on. Hell, if those had left before the hire who knows if Gregory even takes the job .... although, he was just working as a consultant at MSU so he still may have taken the opportunity.

• Group:  Moderator
  • Topic Count:  1,610
  • Content Count:  74,511
  • Days Won:  422

26 minutes ago, Friscobull said:

That is BS, the job pays 7 digits a year which is more than twice what many of these smaller programs pay.  If we select the wrong guy than that is on Kelly, not sure why you guys are giving people an out before they start, what a defeatist attitude.

My point isn't giving the new coach an out. It's reeling in the guys that, if we need to hire somebody, think we're going to get some currently successful higher profile coach or an up and coming assistant that would have better opportunities down the line. If we do hire, it will probably be someone in a similar situation to where CBG was ....... who we, frankly, lucked out on ..... or someone like Odom.

• Topic Count:  1,518
  • Content Count:  42,125
  • Days Won:  344

44 minutes ago, Friscobull said:

I’ve seen the names in consideration for the last time the position was open...they were marginal at best. Seven figures? Yeah sure but low seven figures. True Kelly needs to make the right decision but it will be done guy you never heard of because that is all who is applying. 

• Topic Count:  45
  • Content Count:  1,235
  • Days Won:  1

Hypothetically speaking, if we we're going to go the alum route I'd much rather give Reggie Kohn a shot. He's only 40 and already has 4 state championships and around 400 wins as a h.s. head coach.

Obviously a big splash hire would be more preferable but I thought Kohn's name was worth mentioning.

• Topic Count:  95
  • Content Count:  2,430
  • Days Won:  3

17 hours ago, NewEnglandBull said:

...most people will not wait for “another” 5 year rebuild. 

Most people are screwed then. This is a total rebuild job with the consequences of this situation. No coach on earth is going to win here for at least three years. 
The apathy will be real. 

1 hour ago, TakeItOrLeavitt said:

Hypothetically speaking, if we we're going to go the alum route I'd much rather give Reggie Kohn a shot. He's only 40 and already has 4 state championships and around 400 wins as a h.s. head coach.

Obviously a big splash hire would be more preferable but I thought Kohn's name was worth mentioning.

Good lord if we hire someone straight from the high school ranks just move the program to D2. 

1 minute ago, zarnozdabull said:

Most people are screwed then. This is a total rebuild job with the consequences of this situation. No coach on earth is going to win here for at least three years. 
The apathy will be real. 

The fan interest will be totally lost...worse than now if that’s possible.

• Group:  TBP Subscriber III
  • Topic Count:  582
  • Content Count:  22,677
  • Days Won:  108

Give Jose a bump in pay and let him coach both. 

• Topic Count:  3
  • Content Count:  7,683
  • Days Won:  17

It doesnt take 5 years or even 3 to build a competitive basketball team.  Our horribly "flawed"  CBG did it in 1 ....