• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

Entire USF Mens basketball team is transfering. (well only 5 so far)

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  7
  • Content Count:  10,847
  • Days Won:  67

31 minutes ago, BulledOver said:

Hot button issue. Of course we all feel for Mr akec especially, since most or all of us are alumni/contributors to the university in question. And, for him personally since he has apparently experienced a bad time at USF because it has caused he and his family such strife. He doesn't want to go public however, he went "public" via twitter. He has said that the "racial experiences" occurred during the season. However, he waited until the end of the season to express his grievances and announce his exit.   If someone has been offended personally/hurtfully by a coach? or a professor? staff? whoever...isn't there a chain of command to air your grievance? In this day and age of our racially charged society, He couldn't go to the HC or anyone else on the staff he felt comfortable with and report it? The AD? The Presidents office? But the individual waits until the end of the season to not go public-publicly? The content of his letter is interesting. The terminology he used sounds like the groundwork being laid for a civil suit?? His allegation of racist activity/offenses against the university are very serious. < I feel for the kid - that he experienced what he alleges while at USF.> It will be interesting to see how this is pursued. It will be interesting to see if the Mr. akec choses to find personal relief in the public social media forum or....  The other transfers haven't made any public reference to racially charged offenses that I have seen. The reports haven't cited anyone nor quoted anyone else who have made these claims publicly. "If" it's true? Somebody(s) needs take a fall. It's very tough in this day and age to actually know what is racially offensive and what has nothing to do with race? Yes, I know this is long with lots of words but we all have a stake in this matter like it or not.    

I agree with you, go public or don’t?  His half assed explanation leaves more questions than answers, my recommendation to this young man is if he wants people to respect his privacy than stay private, if he doesn’t then give us an explanation that doesn’t sound like it was drafted by an attorney.  I want to thank  him for his time here and wish him luck in his future endeavors and hope he is able to overcome this incredible stress he was under while playing at USF and that we get this addressed.  

• Upvote 1

• Topic Count:  295
  • Content Count:  6,814
  • Days Won:  22

I think Akec’s explanation was fine. I’m sure many have been asking him about it. If he wishes to speak to the investigators and not the public that is his call.

best of luck to the young man and in his future, we should all be at whatever plac3 makes our life happier.

Edited by Cubanbull
  • Like 1

• Topic Count:  9,895
  • Content Count:  66,073
  • Days Won:  172

respect the kid's privacy

• Topic Count:  1,518
  • Content Count:  42,125
  • Days Won:  344

10 minutes ago, smazza said:

respect the kid's privacy

He should have thought of that before posting on Twitter. 

• Topic Count:  1
  • Content Count:  424
  • Days Won:  1

Its possible he wanted to provide some context for leaving without wanting to hurt/trash anyone specifically on his way out the door, while knowing that any specific details were probably best just given to the investigators. Then he could give the right people the right information so the administration could do what they felt was appropriate, while he turned the page and put this behind him. I can understand Akec's dilemma here and the path he chose.

Over the decades minority and female employees and students have been discriminated against, harassed or have faced bias, and have felt that their only recourse was to just move on believing they had no voice or would lose any "he said - she said" complaints. Now minorities are being encouraged to speak up, but the USF MBB players felt either (a) that when they did raise their concerns they were not sufficiently addressed or (b) the program did not encourage an open-door policy to raise concerns, and their only course of action was to transfer.

Anyone on this board in a leadership role understands that there is a problem USF athletics and the university needs to address, and any blame being put on the student-athletes, either for transferring, complaining, sharing details, not sharing details is deflecting the responsibility from where it should land - the leaders.

Edited by bjef4844

• Topic Count:  365
  • Content Count:  6,466
  • Days Won:  35

10 minutes ago, bjef4844 said:

Its possible he wanted to provide some context for leaving without wanting to hurt/trash anyone specifically on his way out the door, while knowing that any specific details were probably best just given to the investigators. Then he could give the right people the right information so the administration could do what they felt was appropriate, while he turned the page and put this behind him. I can understand Akec's dilemma here and the path he chose.

Over the decades minority and female employees and students have been discriminated against, harassed or have faced bias, and have felt that their only recourse was to just move on believing they had no voice or would lose any "he said - she said" complaints. Now minorities are being encouraged to speak up, but the USF MBB players felt either (a) that when they did raise their concerns they were not sufficiently addressed or (b) the program did not encourage an open-door policy to raise concerns, and their only course of action was to transfer.

Anyone on this board in a leadership role understands that there is a problem USF athletics and the university needs to address, and any blame being put on the student-athletes, either for transferring, complaining, sharing details, not sharing details is deflecting the responsibility from where it should land - the leaders.

I am not saying that Madut has any responsibility in what happened. I have no idea what happened. However, I don't care much for vague tweets such as his. I understand that it is his choice and that I am absolutely just sharing my opinion in how I would ideally handle the situation. If I were looking for privacy, I would not be looking to Tweet about the situation at all. If I did share publicly, I would share my entire side of the story. A vague indictment against the University doesn't help the situation at all, IMO. Nothing is gained by anyone. 

• Upvote 3

• Topic Count:  58
  • Content Count:  3,576
  • Days Won:  6

21 minutes ago, BullyPulpit said:

I am not saying that Madut has any responsibility in what happened. I have no idea what happened. However, I don't care much for vague tweets such as his. I understand that it is his choice and that I am absolutely just sharing my opinion in how I would ideally handle the situation. If I were looking for privacy, I would not be looking to Tweet about the situation at all. If I did share publicly, I would share my entire side of the story. A vague indictment against the University doesn't help the situation at all, IMO. Nothing is gained by anyone. 

And that's the point from our point of view. You said it in fewer words than I did..."A vague indictment of the university doesn't help". I'm not sure how some can read so much into this and go on about other incidents and speculate about how he feels yadayada...It's like reading an article where the writer really has nothing that is fact so they skip to something else as a tie in. Madut chose to make a public statement and hit all the current buzz words to stir things up with a claim that of course, will garner him some attention but no fact. Don't know how many folks so the interview of the woman who heads the NAACP in Tampa. It was out of Tampa/Orlando(?) tv the other day when this hit. She claimed that USF has many race related issues and complaints that have taken place over the years. She went on to say that the university doesn't seem interested. She wants her office to do the investigation and implored the President of USF to get a hold of her. I reserve my personal opinion. 

• Topic Count:  295
  • Content Count:  6,814
  • Days Won:  22

27 minutes ago, BulledOver said:

And that's the point from our point of view. You said it in fewer words than I did..."A vague indictment of the university doesn't help". I'm not sure how some can read so much into this and go on about other incidents and speculate about how he feels yadayada...It's like reading an article where the writer really has nothing that is fact so they skip to something else as a tie in. Madut chose to make a public statement and hit all the current buzz words to stir things up with a claim that of course, will garner him some attention but no fact. Don't know how many folks so the interview of the woman who heads the NAACP in Tampa. It was out of Tampa/Orlando(?) tv the other day when this hit. She claimed that USF has many race related issues and complaints that have taken place over the years. She went on to say that the university doesn't seem interested. She wants her office to do the investigation and implored the President of USF to get a hold of her. I reserve my personal opinion. 

Well it may be true. USF has had issues in the past and just because they don’t make the press doesn’t mean they aren’t there.

Lets wait and see what happens in the investigation, but piling on the kid for trying to walk a fine line in answering public questions while trying to not jump the investigation is not a good look. I thought he tried to give some hints on his reason for moving on without singling out anyone.

• Group:  Admin
  • Topic Count:  13,332
  • Content Count:  96,987
  • Days Won:  469

Read his whole twitter feed.  

• Topic Count:  9,895
  • Content Count:  66,073
  • Days Won:  172

2 hours ago, NewEnglandBull said:

He should have thought of that before posting on Twitter. 

he can share whatever he likes and chose not to share other things

• Upvote 2