• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

USF football just got a nice break...

• Group:  TBP Subscriber
  • Topic Count:  71
  • Content Count:  12,262
  • Days Won:  25

On 2/15/2021 at 1:55 PM, zarnozdabull said:

This is a great hire for them. 
Staying with the high power no huddle offense is what has made them so dominant in the AAC. If it aint broke...
If only we had been as smart with the GCO. Hopefully our admin learned.

Sad but true but you got to slow the offense down to win games according to CCS.

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  152
  • Content Count:  19,395
  • Days Won:  233

25 minutes ago, JTrue said:

You’re making things up to prove your already decided upon outcome.

1) There are no such things as program builders that are available to hire. A “program” takes more than 3 years to build. Name one coach who built a program and then left for a better job in the last 20 years.

2) If that’s prerequisite for head coach, a lot of schools got hoodwinked.

3) Every job is OJT when you’re a first time head coach. 

The tine expired on my ability to edit this post. This wasn't mean to say CJS is going to be a failure, it was to say that we are what we are. Every school at our station is taking a flyer on any coach they hire. We, and everyone like us, is taking someone who failed and got fired or is based on hope that they can rise to the challenge. There are no sure things. If you are truly a "program builder" you've been with your school for a decade and you've done it at lower level than USF is. So you're an unproven. Though I don't know of any people who fit this bill that we passed on. If you're a coach of some kind, OC, co-OC, etc., I don't know that calling plays is the dealbreaker. And once you move from anything other than a HC, you're going to be learning on the job. Even if you're a head coach from a lower program, there is still a ******** of OJT moving up each time you do. What worked in the lower level is still going to need work at a higher level.

Edited by JTrue
  • Upvote 1

• Group:  Moderator
  • Topic Count:  1,610
  • Content Count:  74,511
  • Days Won:  422

UCFer posing as a Bulls fan post moved here ....

• Topic Count:  7
  • Content Count:  10,846
  • Days Won:  67

14 hours ago, JTrue said:

What worked in the lower level is still going to need work at a higher level.

Good points, hence Kerwin Bell 

Guest Jonesy Bull

When I first heard this, I thouht ****, they just hit a home run.

Not that there has more time to reflect, I'm not so sure its a definate win for ucf.  Its hard to read.

I don't know the whole history of Malzahn and Auburn.  I believe he was the Coach the year they won the Natty.  But was that more becuase of Cam Newton?  He certainly was a very upper echelon College style QB and did pretty good in the Pros until recently.

This could turn out well for ucf because well this is the AAC and he has alot of experience.  But, and I don't know his overall record at Auburn (too lazy to look it up), but I don't remember him doing anytelse spectacular there.  Could be wrong.

Then again it could turn into a bust, i.e. Charlie Strong, Lovie Smith.

My guess its somewhere in the middle, which would mean that they come back down to earth and are a decent to good AAC type team.......But very beatable if we can get our own house rebuilt.  At least thats my theory and I'm sticking with it for now.

Edited by Jonesy Bull

59 minutes ago, Jonesy Bull said:

I don't know the whole history of Malzahn and Auburn.  I believe he was the Coach the year they won the Natty.  But was that more becuase of Cam Newton?  He certainly was a very upper echelon College style QB and did pretty good in the Pros until

This (or something like this) gets thrown around anytime someone wants to call into question a coach's accolades. There has never, and will never, be a college football coach who wins anything without a legit QB. Period. 

Edited by JTrue
  • Upvote 1

Guest Jonesy Bull
1 hour ago, JTrue said:

This (or something like this) gets thrown around anytime someone wants to call into question a coach's accolades. There has never, and will never, be a college football coach who wins anything without a legit QB. Period. 

I totally agree with that.  And one player (even best QB) does not win a championship without a real "team".  I guess I just question his overall body of work at Auburn more than anything.  On the surface, unfortunately this looks like a great hire for ucf.  But when you did deeper, its not a slam dunk, and I was just wanting to get other opinions.  

Maybe I'm just hoping that they get this one wrong.  

Edited by Jonesy Bull

43 minutes ago, Jonesy Bull said:

I totally agree with that.  And one player (even best QB) does not win a championship without a real "team".  I guess I just question his overall body of work at Auburn more than anything.  On the surface, unfortunately this looks like a great hire for ucf.  But when you did deeper, its not a slam dunk, and I was just wanting to get other opinions.  

Maybe I'm just hoping that they get this one wrong.  

Always hoping they get it wrong. But, and this is the thing that fires me up, they seem to have an Andy Dufresne aura of swimming through a pile of **** and coming up golden. 

• Topic Count:  48
  • Content Count:  2,343
  • Days Won:  0

1 hour ago, JTrue said:

Correct - QBs will define how the coach does at any school.

Also, Gus wasn't the head coach when Auburn won with Newton.