• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

What’s with Knight and the McNeese State references?

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  354
  • Content Count:  4,095
  • Days Won:  56

21 minutes ago, NewEnglandBull said:

I agree that he does break news like Greg did. Greg is in a class by himself compared to Joey. But at the same time, do we still make news on the same level that we did in the Big East? I agree I would like to see a story on the USF Fraternity scandal. 

I saw the original list that a girl(s) posted on Twitter and there were names of several former football players - and a former basketball player. Let’s be clear, it was the wrong thing to do to post that on social media.

Edited by Dave_Glaser

• Topic Count:  1,518
  • Content Count:  42,125
  • Days Won:  344

1 minute ago, Dave_Glaser said:

I saw the original list that a girl(s) posted on Twitter and there were names of several former football players.

I saw that as well. I believe one player was a starter. I have heard nothing from USF about a follow up to this. I suspect there are a lot “no comment” and “we are investigating” statements being made. 

• Topic Count:  3
  • Content Count:  7,683
  • Days Won:  17

2 hours ago, NewEnglandBull said:

I agree that he does break news like Greg did. Greg is in a class by himself compared to Joey. But at the same time, do we still make news on the same level that we did in the Big East? 

We should, I mean with the aac being better than the Big East and all ...... 😉

• Like 1

• Group:  Moderator
  • Topic Count:  1,611
  • Content Count:  74,530
  • Days Won:  422

To me, this whole "breaking" news emphasis is the kind of **** that got us to this point of wanting to get it first, not necessarily right. We had a beat reporter who likes to break AND make news. Sorry, I'm good with getting news in a timely, accurate manner not really caring that much if I hear it hours before anyone else does. JK's far from perfect, attendance obsession awhile back being a good example, but I think a lot of the grief he gets just comes from the thin skinned who don't even read him ..... obviously not you, Dave, since you apparently do read his stuff.

• Topic Count:  354
  • Content Count:  4,095
  • Days Won:  56

24 minutes ago, Triple B said:

To me, this whole "breaking" news emphasis is the kind of **** that got us to this point of wanting to get it first, not necessarily right. We had a beat reporter who likes to break AND make news. Sorry, I'm good with getting news in a timely, accurate manner not really caring that much if I hear it hours before anyone else does. JK's far from perfect, attendance obsession awhile back being a good example, but I think a lot of the grief he gets just comes from the thin skinned who don't even read him ..... obviously not you, Dave, since you apparently do read his stuff.

I just think he’s a lazy reporter. Most of the guys I knew and worked with who cared about their beat were driven to get the story first - AND right. And if you’ve been on the beat as long as he has, it shouldn’t be too hard at this point. You should have built a network of sources who you can go to for info because they trust that you’ll do a professional job. I had them, and I guarantee you guys like Greg and Brett did, too. As do other reporters all over the world.

Edited by Dave_Glaser
  • Upvote 1

• Topic Count:  7
  • Content Count:  10,851
  • Days Won:  67

6 minutes ago, Dave_Glaser said:

I just think he’s a lazy reporter. Most of the guys I knew and worked with who cared about their beat were driven to get the story first - AND right. And if you’ve been on the beat as long as he has, it shouldn’t be too hard at this point. You should have built a network of sources who you can go to for info because they trust that you’ll do a professional job. I had them, and I guarantee you guys like Greg and Brett did, too. As do other reporters all over the world.

There is no beat anymore, anyone chasing a story is the paparazzi, journalism is dead. 

• Topic Count:  147
  • Content Count:  19,249
  • Days Won:  255

36 minutes ago, Dave_Glaser said:

This is my take too. He is the one that is supposedly investing the most time on this subject, everyone there knows who he is and if he put any effort in building the relationships necessary to do his job well he would be getting the information that other people not even focused on this are able to garner. That he almost never breaks the news tells me that he is just showing up and doing the absolute minimum by reporting what is given to him along with anyone that just shows up instead of actually trying to develop anything. That he takes this lazy approach while also taking jabs at our fanbase is just the icing on the cake of worthlessness to our program.

• Group:  TBP Subscriber III
  • Topic Count:  582
  • Content Count:  22,677
  • Days Won:  108

12 hours ago, Dave_Glaser said:

11 hours ago, puc86 said:

This is my take too. He is the one that is supposedly investing the most time on this subject, everyone there knows who he is and if he put any effort in building the relationships necessary to do his job well he would be getting the information that other people not even focused on this are able to garner. That he almost never breaks the news tells me that he is just showing up and doing the absolute minimum by reporting what is given to him along with anyone that just shows up instead of actually trying to develop anything. That he takes this lazy approach while also taking jabs at our fanbase is just the icing on the cake of worthlessness to our program.

While I'm not a huge fan of JK's I have to defend the claim that he should have a "network of sources".  Who in USF Athletics, other than Barry Clements has been here more that 5 years?  Lelo was here, then gone and now back again.  A few individual coaches (Erickson and Fernandez come to mind)  have been but people at the top have been in and out like a revolving door.  I guess you only need one guy.  Just my 1.5 cents (deflation).   

• Topic Count:  147
  • Content Count:  19,249
  • Days Won:  255

Just now, CousinRicky said:

While I'm not a huge fan of JK's I have to defend the claim that he should have a "network of sources".  Who in USF Athletics, other than Barry Clements has been here more that 5 years?  Lelo was here, then gone and now back again.  A few individual coaches (Erickson and Fernandez come to mind)  have been but people at the top have been in and out like a revolving door.  I guess you only need one guy.  Just my 1.5 cents (deflation).   

IDK cuz you seem to have no problems connecting, many others on here have people that feed them information and even Brett still gets people to feed him information and he has not even stepped foot in the building in at least a score. I am not sure if it is because he is unlikable, lazy or has a very punchable face but people do not seem to connect with him or give him any insider information which seems like a necessary component of being a beat writer (especially when you are close to the only one). That he seems more focused on jabs than delivering something that shows any effort does not endear himself to most of our fanbase, not that I think he cares much about that.  

• Group:  Moderator
  • Topic Count:  1,611
  • Content Count:  74,530
  • Days Won:  422

3 minutes ago, puc86 said:

That he seems more focused on jabs than delivering something that shows any effort does not endear himself to most of our fanbase, not that I think he cares much about that.  

In the month of August he's posted 8 articles pertaining to USF, along with several more about other high school sports, with not a jab in there that I could find. A couple of Twitter pokes and some go bat**** crazy with extrapolating it out ...... yeah, looking at you, puc. I don't mind criticism where it's deserved, and the MSU jabs deserved note, but crikey, the making mountains out out of molehills (even though a board tradition) makes us sound like whiny little ******* at times.